Skin elasticity - different as you age?

Guest Kellster

Guest Kellster

Hey all - I'm 27 and considering LB surgery (very seriously) but I'm nervous about the extra-skin factor. I'm 5'10'', 340 lbs, and I have at least 180 lbs to lose to be at my healthy weight. I've heard that skin is more elastic and more able to shrink along with your body the younger you are. I've also heard that waiting 2 years after you lose a lot of weight allows your skin to do its best to shrink back to where your body is. Does anyone around my age (or any age, really) have any advice/comments about the extra skin?

Yes, as you age the collagen in your skin is less productive and it's harder to keep it taught. I have heard that dry skin brushing really helps this information I got from a T-tapp trainer's website CRT T-tapp is a workout that I bought the dvd's years ago and attended a couple of seminars. I am hoping to supplement this as my workout once I am able to after the surgery.

Yes unforunately the elasticity is less as you age and it also depends on how long you have carried the weight. I have been overweight for 10 years now and my stomach, legs and arms will no doubt having hanging skin, so exercise your butt off and keep a tummy tuck in the back of your mind!!

Best of Luck!!