Getting the band done

My husband and I are thinking of getting the band done and my concern is that his weight is 425lbs, has anyone had the band done at this weight.

How safe is it. My weight is 240lbs. Thanks for your help.

Hi Melissa,

When I was banded I went with a group of 5 people that were all banded on the same day. I do not think any of them weighed over 400lbs. Are you considering having your surgery at the Obesity Control Center in Mexico? If so I would recommend that you call OCC and speak with them about your concerns. Dr. Ortiz is one of the best in his field and has done over 5000 surgeries, I'm sure he would be the best source to go to about your concerns.

Best of luck to you!

I was 214 and did great. I do not know about your hubby. But the OCC will give you the most accurate advice. For me the surgery was a cake walk....or should I say chicken walk or some other kinda protien walk. lol

Hi

When you call the OCC call during the day so you can talk with everyone. I spoke with Carolyn first and I am having a special surgery. I had surgery back in 1985. a stomach stapling. I spoke with Dr. Ortiz directly and he told me what to expect- time it would take etc. He told me about the previous types of like surgery he has done and what my expectations could be. 70% of the weight I need to loose gone. I weighed 340lbs. I also spoke with Dr. Miranda and she told me the diets she would suggest. They want my BMI to below 50. I have been losing weight for 3 weeks. I've lost 12.5lbs so far. At this weight and my age of 61 I'm also not very active. I'm trying to change that and bought the Wii fit this week and also some dvd tapes to walk by. Realistically I can't walk a lot. I can walk around Walmart and Costco and I walked up a steep hill at work today. My surgery is not scheduled until October. I think doing this like this is very helpful. I have read Dr. Ortiz's book. I am losing weight and eating Protein, veggies and minimal carbs just like I will be after banding but more of it. I wish you luck and they have made me feel good. I have weekly support by emailing Dr. Miranda my weight and how I've done each week. I can ask questions about the diet. This week I asked about coffee and diet coke for instance. I'm am increasing my water and decreasing caffeine however. I really am convinced that surgery for most of us that are morbidly obese (such ugly words) . I'm also convinced that since I'm spending a fair amount of money that I want Dr. Ortiz to follow me which will mean extra visits to Mexico and of course extra expense. I am also convinced that if I need a psychologist, nutritionist or trainer I will get that. I want to live at least 20 years longer and I want that time to be healthy and I want to be able to get around.

I can see not walking in 5 years if this continues. My highest weight was 387 and I was so miserable. I know with men that if you have a big belly and most men that are overweight do that the procedure is more difficult. However I also know that if you can lose some weight before the procedure it will be easier to perform and easier to recover.

I wish you well. Hope this is not too long winded ;);)

Hi Melissa,

Welcome! If you've already done this, ignore by advice, but really, really dig into this forum. You will get so much information from all sorts of different people with different experiences with their band. This forum had a plethora (I LOVE THAT WORD!) of information, experience, guidance, suggestions and most of all tremendous support!

You will learn a lot here.

The best of luck to you and your husband!

Thanks to everyone. I have called OCC and talked to Lori and Dr. Miranda has called by husband and talked to him about a diet. He needs to get down to 399lbs for the band. We are going to start today. It is such a scary thing to think about at his weight, but we really do not have a choice. It is nice to talk to someone who has had this done. Our families are not crazy about the whole Mexico thing.

Thanks to everyone. I have called OCC and talked to Lori and Dr. Miranda has called by husband and talked to him about a diet. He needs to get down to 399lbs for the band. We are going to start today. It is such a scary thing to think about at his weight, but we really do not have a choice. It is nice to talk to someone who has had this done. Our families are not crazy about the whole Mexico thing.

Your husband will probably drop the needed weight rather quickly. Men always do. I wish you both the best of luck and congrats on your surgeries.

Please reassure your family that Dr. Ortiz is the best and that his being in Mexico does not mean substandard care. My sister is an RN in Oregon and she was impressed. Both she and her daughter (16) went and had it done.

Cheryl