Book Reviews

Ok, I just finished a couple of books and have also made some recipes from the cookbooks and thought I'd share my reviews with you all.

Dr. Ortiz “Lap Band for Life”

A must have if you are going to be banded or have been banded by OCC. A lot of what is posted here is answered in this book in regards to what to expect before, during and after your surgery. Some of it becomes a little too medical and some is a bit generic. All in all, it is the format of this forum :D

Robert Sewell and Linda Rohrbough, “Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band: Everything You Need to Know Before and After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully”

Easy to understand and follow. They actually give you the food plans pre op and post op. There is even a chapter called “Living with a person that has been banded.” Funny thing though, they sometimes bash being banded in Mexico yet they use a lot of testimonials from people that have been banded in Mexico. <_<

Cookbooks-

Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray, “Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery”

LOVE IT! I am cooking challenged and found all the recipes doable and you don’t have to go out and find out of the way ingredients that I had to while I was doing South Beach or Atkins. Each recipe is broken down by serving guidelines for Lap-Band AND Bypass AND what week you are at with your meals.

The recipes are also broken down by servings, calories, protein, fat, carbs, cholesterol, fiber and sodium.

Margaret M. Furtado, “Recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery”

More of a “Spa” style recipes. Hard to find ingredients. The recipes are broken down as above with weeks you are at your meals and nutritional value.

Guest CaraMBA09
I have Lapband for Life and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery.

I haven't read Lapband for Life yet, but I love the cookbook!!!

I just got the Dr Ortiz book from Amazon and have had a hard time putting it down!

Thanks Donna for the great reviews. I have yet to read Dr. O's book but will someday. I want to get a used one though so if anybody has one to sell or lend let me know.

I do need to get a good cookbook. I am a cook by scratch sort of person who was taught to cook using no recipes really. Over the years of course I have used them but tend to go with more of what I know than trying new dishes. I need some inspiration from recipies that I can eat and not worry abou them.