So I had my 2nd fill Thursday (this one under fluoro in Austin) and it went great - felt a great amount of restriction and was on liquids for 48 hours after the fill. But by the time I could eat again, I feel pretty much like I did before the fill. You guys may remember that I had a heinous 1st fill experience where the doc poked around on me for just over an hour and poked me 9 different times...well this time, the fill doc poked me once and the spot is about 1.25 inches LOWER on my belly that the 1st fill...why do you think there is no restriction?

I was freaked that fill quack #1 may have poked my tubing the 1st go around and a lot of you comforted me and said not to worry, restriction is tricky, etc...what do you think now? Time to worry yet?? HELP!!

I have had many fills where I never felt any different. Do you know how many cc's you got each time? What size band do you have? If you have a 4cc band it seems like anything under 2cc does not do much for anybody.

Guest CaraMBA09
I have had many fills where I never felt any different. Do you know how many cc's you got each time? What size band do you have? If you have a 4cc band it seems like anything under 2cc does not do much for anybody.

if you got banded at OCC, it may be worth the time and money to hightail it back there for a decent fill and to fix this problem you keep having.!

good luck

c

Well, unfortunately, I am on my 4th fill and still don't have much restriction. My first 2 fills were at the OCC and they did say that since I had the bigger band that it would take me longer to get restriction. Then, I got my last 2 fills in Frederick Maryland and I haven't felt much of anything from those two either. So, talked to Dr. So about it and he is thinking that they are missing my port and sticking me into scar tissue instead not realizing they are missing the port. He wants me to come back to the OCC but I need some more money first.

But, you are only on your second fill, so I wouldn't worry yet. Lost of people need a few before they feel it. They also need a week or two before it kicks in. So you have time yet before you get frantic.

Hi Amber, just wondering, if you second fill doctor, removed the existing fluid in the band before injecting more?

My surgeon does this to check to ensure that what he put in last time is still there, it's a double check on leaks.

I have my second fill on Wednesday and my first one comes and goes. It takes time to either kick in or kick out! I can see how frustrating it can be, now!!!

Take care.

I agree with Kittycat, my fill doctor always pulls out the fluid I already have in my band to make sure it is not leaking out. I thought all fill doctors did this. I would check with the doctor that just gave you the fill.

Hi guys - yeah, the fill centers USA doc did check to see how much was alredy in my 4cc band - the answer...nothing. So this could mean that the 1st yahoo just injected the saline into my stomach and not my band (which may very well have been the case, because as I said, he was hitting about an inch and a quarter higher than the 2nd fill doc did under fluoro) or it could be that he put some in there but it has leaked out now maybe.

This 2nd fill, she put in 2.25 cc's (again, in a 4cc band.)

Knowing this information, what are your thoughts? Also, I know Dr. O gave us his cell phone # when we got surgery, but I seem to have misplaced it - anyone have that?

Amber~

so how is the restriction today any? I believe I still have Dr. O's # and when I get home from work I will look for you if you have not already gotten it from someone. Let's hope that all is well and that it did not leak out!

Still not feeling any restriction today. I know fills can be very tricky, so I'm working on not jumping to the worst conclusion, but I want to be prepared for the worst at the same time. Does anyone know what that thicker solution is called that they sometimes use on a leaky band and where you can get that kind of fill?

Since your band was empty, for your own sanity, you might decide that the first fill was not a fill. (Also file a complaint and ask for your money back.) He missed your port by a mile. Since he missed your port I hope his aim was equally bad for the tubing as well.

That would make your 2nd fill your 1st real fill...many of us didn't see restriction from the 1st one after a few days. That makes you normal.

If I were in your shoes (I wear a size 8.5, hope I'm not stretching your shoes out ;-) ) I'd schedule the next fill with the Dr in Austin under fluoro as soon as is reasonable. He'll withdraw what he put in, if it's nothing then you'll confirm a leak. If it's a smidge less than what he put in, then you'll still be normal...I had .6 cc go somewhere -- I think it lives in the tubing now, but who's to say?

Back to the potential confirmed leak, when you call for the fill appointment, you can explain your horrendous 1st fill experience, express your worries that the quack might have put a pin hole into the tubing and ask that they have the thicker saline (Mamamichelle put the name of it in one of her posts) on hand just in case.

So I had my 2nd fill Thursday (this one under fluoro in Austin) and it went great - felt a great amount of restriction and was on liquids for 48 hours after the fill. But by the time I could eat again, I feel pretty much like I did before the fill. You guys may remember that I had a heinous 1st fill experience where the doc poked around on me for just over an hour and poked me 9 different times...well this time, the fill doc poked me once and the spot is about 1.25 inches LOWER on my belly that the 1st fill...why do you think there is no restriction?

I was freaked that fill quack #1 may have poked my tubing the 1st go around and a lot of you comforted me and said not to worry, restriction is tricky, etc...what do you think now? Time to worry yet?? HELP!!

Amber, hello again. It's Natalie. We had surgery on the same day and I have a 10.0cm band. Is that the same as yours??? Just wondering. Dr. Ortiz's cell phone number is 1-619-247-9695 or you can email him at drortiz@obesitycontrolcenter.com. I hope this helps. I would be so freaked out by what your going through. I hope that this first quack just missed and now you just need another fill for better restriction. I really hope this all turns out ok for you.

I have had only one fill and have a ton of restriction and don't dare get another one yet. Sometimes I take just a couple of bites of food and can't even hold down any more and have to go spit in my toilet for 20 minutes to feel better???? It doesn't make any sense. What gives??? Sorry for what you are going through. Let us know what happens for sure. Good Luck!!! Natalie

I totally agree with Phoenix on this. Have the new fill doctor check the amount of fluid to confirm if there is a leak. I honestly think the first doc missed the port and put nothing in your band. So the second fill really was your first fill. Based on all that you have told us, this honestly seems like the mostly scenerio. More likely than a leaky band. Not to say that's not a possibilty, but the first scenerio is more likely the issue. I would definetly kick up a major stink if you can confirm that there is no leak and the first doctor just missed the port. I would demand your money back and also report him to whoever or whatever you can. Your experience was so horrible, that even if he did get your port, he may have also punctured the tubing causing a leak, in which case I would be contacting a lawyer. I am so sorry that this has happened to you. But think positive. It is just likely that the second fill was your first "real" fill and that you are totally normal right now. You are in my prayers sweetie and I am hoping for the best outcome in your situation.

Thank you guys a million times over for taking the time to answer my concerns and comfort me! I am so grateful for this forum! I will take your advice and schedule another fill under fluoro soon (well, reasonably soon anyway!) and if she can't pull any saline form the port this time, I'll know there's something wrong. I absolutely hate the idea of having to go into a lawsuit if doc #1 punctured my tubing, but after that horrible horrible experience, if he did puncture it he really does need to be the one to pay for it to be fixed I guess.

I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Again, thanks so much for the advice/support!

I certainly wouldn't panic until the next fill. I didn't get restriction until 3.2 cm. in 4 cm. band. And even with that I am well restricted in the am and not so much by evening. I am thinking it is almost time to go for a little boost in it again.

Thank you guys a million times over for taking the time to answer my concerns and comfort me! I am so grateful for this forum! I will take your advice and schedule another fill under fluoro soon (well, reasonably soon anyway!) and if she can't pull any saline form the port this time, I'll know there's something wrong. I absolutely hate the idea of having to go into a lawsuit if doc #1 punctured my tubing, but after that horrible horrible experience, if he did puncture it he really does need to be the one to pay for it to be fixed I guess.

I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Again, thanks so much for the advice/support!

If you are thinking of seeking some legal help if it turns out you have a leak- make sure you are documenting all of the conversations, meetings, etc. with the old place. I might even record them if possible.