Need support

I am new to all of this. I have researched for only a month and feel that Dr. Ortiz is the Dr. to do the Lap Band surgery. My family is not at all impressed with my decision of having the surgery or that it is in Mexico. I have been to Tijuana for a day and felt that after 1 visit I would probably never go back and here I am thinking of having surgery there.

Did anyone else have trouble convincing family that you are making the right decision? My husband just tells me that if I excercise and eat better I can save myself a lot of time, pain and money.

If it were that easy I would not weigh 210 pounds at 5'6 . But he thinks I look great. Sure he says I have put on a few but aren't we happy with 2 kids and a busy social life.

I look in the mirror and do not know who the person is looking back at me.

Is the lap band worth the money? Is it going to work for me? Will I have complications? Will dieting one more time work and I wont hve to do such a drastic thing? these are the questions keeping me up at night. The other thing is about the Fills... I know with 2 kids and a job I won't be able to take off to Mexico very often, will there be a problem finding a Dr to do my fills close to me. I will have to pay out of pocket. Of course I do not have this saved so I planning on charging it. Has anyone else done this? Any regrets?

I could just keep rambling from nervous energy. Does any one have any answers or suggestion? Is there something I am forgetting to ask

Thank you in advance for any insight and encouragement

Hi Chinamom,

I can appreciate your husband and family's concerns, I have heard fabulous things about the OCC and Dr. Ortiz, I would have had no problems going there, but my husband would never let me have surgery out of province, let alone out of country (Canada). So we compromised, I stayed here and paid for it here (15K). I realize it's a huge amount of money, twice that of the OCC, but I wanted this more than anything in my life. I am thrilled with my decision and the results so far.

I felt as you did, I saw a stranger in the mirror and now I see someone else. A thinner, happier person and I have alot more to go yet.

Everyone will tell you the OCC is great and the decision to get the band was the right thing!!!

Good luck to you!!

I know what you mean, I was 205 and 5'6". Also Mexico, are you out of your mind. But research and this site convienced me it was what I needed to do. Less than 3 months later I am 30 pounds less and much happier. My hubby ended up going with me to TJ and meet the sweetist friends there that I am still in touch with. What a bounus!!!

Only you know what weight you feel your best at physically and mentally

Barb

Hello Just wanted you to know I am going through same thing but have decided to go to Mexico (against all in the families opinions). My husband got on and researched dr ortiz like crazy and he is content now. I also went to see the #1 dr in AZ last year and he kept all my info but I didnt have the 16K so I emailed him and he told me he proctered under Dr ortiz and that he is a very good surgeon. His only concern was my Fills and having to travel back and forth but I have found 4 places in AZ that do it for about 200 (yes thats out of pocket) My surgery is sept 12th and I am sooooo excited for this change in my life. I just wanted you to know we have researched and find Dr Ortiz to be awesome. I am having to charge it too but I think I will save so much in food to make up for it LOL :lol:

Hi Chinamom,

You didn't mention where on the planet you hail from ;-)

Part of the homework is finding a great doctor, congratulations! You couldn't have found a better one!

Part of it is figuring out how to maintain your band. If you can travel down to the OCC in TJ easily, cool. If you're somewhere else and need to find another source, there's a topic list on the forum about fills and fill doctors. See if one of them is close to you and if their feedback is good.

Your husband sounds like a gem!

I am new to all of this. I have researched for only a month and feel that Dr. Ortiz is the Dr. to do the Lap Band surgery. My family is not at all impressed with my decision of having the surgery or that it is in Mexico. I have been to Tijuana for a day and felt that after 1 visit I would probably never go back and here I am thinking of having surgery there.

Did anyone else have trouble convincing family that you are making the right decision? My husband just tells me that if I excercise and eat better I can save myself a lot of time, pain and money.

If it were that easy I would not weigh 210 pounds at 5'6 . But he thinks I look great. Sure he says I have put on a few but aren't we happy with 2 kids and a busy social life.

I look in the mirror and do not know who the person is looking back at me.

Is the lap band worth the money? Is it going to work for me? Will I have complications? Will dieting one more time work and I wont hve to do such a drastic thing? these are the questions keeping me up at night. The other thing is about the Fills... I know with 2 kids and a job I won't be able to take off to Mexico very often, will there be a problem finding a Dr to do my fills close to me. I will have to pay out of pocket. Of course I do not have this saved so I planning on charging it. Has anyone else done this? Any regrets?

I could just keep rambling from nervous energy. Does any one have any answers or suggestion? Is there something I am forgetting to ask

Thank you in advance for any insight and encouragement

Thank all of you for your encouragement. It is great to be able to get on this forum and see and hear about actual results. When we were in the process of adopting our daughter from China the forum was a God send to me.

I am in Kentucky. I called a Dr. Jeff Allen's office today. He is in Louisville and the receptionist said that he did fills and had done some for DR's in Mexico. I don't know the cost but they said I would have to have testing before he would take me. Does anyone know what this could be?

Yes, my husband is wonderful. I have been blessed that he sees me as I was 70 pounds and 10 years ago. But he is also a little overly concerned, afraid of Tijuana and that something awful will happen.

I wish I could do this on my own, I don't think I try all that hard sometimes. I do for a while and then go back to my old ways. I eat out of boredom and mostly at night after the kids go to sleep.

Are you satisfied with food? Feel full on what you do eat?

HI CHINAMOM: WELCOME TO THE BOARD. I JUST HAD MY SURGERY IN TJ LAST MONDAY. MY HUSBAND WAS ABSOLUTELY GREAT ABOUT IT AFTER HE GOT ON THIS FORUM AND READ. I ALSO BOUGHT DR. ORTIZ BOOK AND WE BOTH READ IT. AS FAR AS TJ GOES, THAT WAS AWESOME. THE HOSPITAL IS EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN AND EVERYONE TAKES VERY VERY GOOD CARE OF YOU. MY SISTER HAD THE BAND SURGERY THREE YEARS AGO IN DALLAS. WHEN I ASKED HER IF SHE WOULD DO IT AGAIN, SHE SAID, ABSOLUTELY, EVEN IF I HAD TO FLIP BURGERS TO GET IT (BECAUSE OF THE COST). SHE HAS LOST 90 POUNDS. THAT IS WHAT MADE ME DECIDE TO GET IT.

WHEN I TOLD HER I WAS GOING TO MEXICO, SHE FREAKED. SHE CALLED HER DR IN DALLAS AND WAS TOLD THAT HER DOCTOR WAS TAUGHT BY DR. ORTIZ AND HE WOULD DO MY FILLS. SHE STILL THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY, SO SHE WENT WITH ME. DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING BETTER THAN GETTING TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO...TO A SELF-RIGHTEOUS SISTER??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.. SHE WAS AMAZED AND VERY HAPPY FOR ME. SHE EVEN HAD A FILL WHILE I WAS GETTING MY SURGERY. HAHA

THIS IS NOT A LIFESTYLE FOR EVERYONE. THE POST-OP HAS BEEN HARD FOR ME HUNGERWISE. ITS HARD TO STAY WITH CREAMY SOUPS, ETC. BUT I HAVE WATCHED MY SISTER AND IF SHE CAN DO IT...I KNOW I CAN.

When I tell people I had surgery in Mexico, their first comment is " oh my god". Well, I felt very safe and the care there was excellent. I think they are the best doctors! I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.

I have no regrets. Diet and exercise is great, but.................I have done this routine over and over and over. I would lose weight, then would eventually gain it back and alittle additional. The lap band is a change in life. It is a life long tool. It not only helps you take off the weight, but helps you keep it off. I would recommend it to anybody. Its the best thing I have ever done for me.

Having extra pounds to carry around is not safe or healthy. You have to do what is best for you. Most people overweight is because of a food addiction, and the band is very helpful and limiting how much you can eat. I would recommend you get Dr. Ortiz's book about lap band, I think it may help you with alot of questions.

HI CHINAMOM: WELCOME TO THE BOARD. I JUST HAD MY SURGERY IN TJ LAST MONDAY. MY HUSBAND WAS ABSOLUTELY GREAT ABOUT IT AFTER HE GOT ON THIS FORUM AND READ. I ALSO BOUGHT DR. ORTIZ BOOK AND WE BOTH READ IT. AS FAR AS TJ GOES, THAT WAS AWESOME. THE HOSPITAL IS EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN AND EVERYONE TAKES VERY VERY GOOD CARE OF YOU. MY SISTER HAD THE BAND SURGERY THREE YEARS AGO IN DALLAS. WHEN I ASKED HER IF SHE WOULD DO IT AGAIN, SHE SAID, ABSOLUTELY, EVEN IF I HAD TO FLIP BURGERS TO GET IT (BECAUSE OF THE COST). SHE HAS LOST 90 POUNDS. THAT IS WHAT MADE ME DECIDE TO GET IT.

WHEN I TOLD HER I WAS GOING TO MEXICO, SHE FREAKED. SHE CALLED HER DR IN DALLAS AND WAS TOLD THAT HER DOCTOR WAS TAUGHT BY DR. ORTIZ AND HE WOULD DO MY FILLS. SHE STILL THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY, SO SHE WENT WITH ME. DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING BETTER THAN GETTING TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO...TO A SELF-RIGHTEOUS SISTER??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.. SHE WAS AMAZED AND VERY HAPPY FOR ME. SHE EVEN HAD A FILL WHILE I WAS GETTING MY SURGERY. HAHA

THIS IS NOT A LIFESTYLE FOR EVERYONE. THE POST-OP HAS BEEN HARD FOR ME HUNGERWISE. ITS HARD TO STAY WITH CREAMY SOUPS, ETC. BUT I HAVE WATCHED MY SISTER AND IF SHE CAN DO IT...I KNOW I CAN.

Hey Francie! It's Hanna (WAgal), remember I was there getting a fill and a crown implant. I'm glad all went well. How's your friend doing? The one that got banded the same day as you? It was nice of the couple, Stephanie and Scott to help me get across the border by riding MexiCoach... it was a life saver. I got across the border at 3:15pm... we made it to LAX with 15 mins. to spare for our flight. Lining up would have taken an additional hour or so to the trip back as it was very long when we saw it from the bus ride.

Keep us posted on your progress. The liquid stage is a drag but you also loose much of the initial weight at this period and it will be the reward for following Dr's orders... so to speak.. Hello to your sister.

I have worked in a hospital for 19 years, my mother worked in a hospital 35 years, I have either been a patient or one of my family has been at least 50 times so my experience with them is vast. I have to say the OCC was the cleanest. Not a single complaint about the facility or the care I received. I felt totally safe the whole time as they took me back and forth from airport, clinic and hotel. I would do it again in a millisecond.