Breakfast Protein Suggestions

Kittycat

I was discussing my diet with the nurse at my clinic today and she suggested adding more protein at breakfast. I am looking for suggestions for solid foods. I have been eating one slice of multi-grain toast w/peanut butter and an apple sauce, but I don't stay full.

Other than protein shakes or bars, eggs and cottage cheese, what can you suggest?

Thanks!

I am struggling with my first week of solid foods. I am trying more protein too. So this morning I tried an egg white omelet with bacon, cheese, mushrooms & spinach. I could only eat a little bit of it. It was really good at first, then all of a sudden I felt queasy. So I don't know if that meant I am full or if the omelet had an issue. I had that around 9:15 am. I will let you know long it takes to get hungry again....

Amy

I am struggling with my first week of solid foods. I am trying more protein too. So this morning I tried an egg white omelet with bacon, cheese, mushrooms & spinach. I could only eat a little bit of it. It was really good at first, then all of a sudden I felt queasy. So I don't know if that meant I am full or if the omelet had an issue. I had that around 9:15 am. I will let you know long it takes to get hungry again....

Amy

Hi Amy, that's sounds like a great choice for protein in the morning, except I don't like eggs..cannot do eggs at all!!

Feel better!

Update: I had an Optifast shakes for breakfast...struggled to get it down (brought up bad memories of pre-op diet), but I did it and it actually kept me full until now, lunch time! I don't think I would want to do this everyday, but here and there is okay.

I make steel cut oatmeal, a large pot that gives me 4-5 days worth of servings, I eat about 1/2 cup and then I have vanilla protein powder at 30gms per scoop (max muscle brand) and add 3/4 scoop to the oatmeal. It dissolves completely into the oatmeal making it rich and creamy tasting. I picked up this tip of adding the powder to oatmeal here on the forum. I didn't think it sounded good but when I tried it it actually is great!! You could use any kind of oatmeal I just prefer the steel cut, it has a crunchy texture that fills me up for 3-4 hours too!!

I make steel cut oatmeal, a large pot that gives me 4-5 days worth of servings, I eat about 1/2 cup and then I have vanilla protein powder at 30gms per scoop (max muscle brand) and add 3/4 scoop to the oatmeal. It dissolves completely into the oatmeal making it rich and creamy tasting. I picked up this tip of adding the powder to oatmeal here on the forum. I didn't think it sounded good but when I tried it it actually is great!! You could use any kind of oatmeal I just prefer the steel cut, it has a crunchy texture that fills me up for 3-4 hours too!!

Hi Julie, I don't think we have that brand in Canada...all of the oatmeals or cream of wheat that I have tried taste like crap.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Cathy since you dont like eggs, what about a BLT for breakfast.. I could eat that anytime of day...

Also I like to take my yogurt and mix my cereal in it and its really good!

Cottage cheese and fruit is another one.

English muffin with some lunch meat & cheese or cream cheese.

Thanks Trina, I had a english muffin with sausage on it this morning and it helped. Here in Canada we have a nationwide recall on processed foods right now due to a Listera outbreak.

They have taken almost all processed meats off the shelves. I am avoiding them until things are under control. The Listera bacteria can kill and has killed about 17 people and made dozens sick...it takes 70 days to incubate and causes a deadly paracite to invade your immune system.

Have a great weekend!!

• 2 months later...

Hi inny...

OK, I am so like a ninny cause I don't like soggy or mushy food. But what you did doesn't sound too bad! Seriously, what does it really taste. Be honest. Can you make it 'drier' so it doesn't seems so mushy? Would this work? I, too, want another source of breakfast protein.