HELP!! Im eating too much!!

UGH! OK, I am about 4 weeks post op and my Dr advanced my diet to include solid foods, but I'm eating almost as much as I used to. Two weeks ago my Dr explained that he didn't fill my lap-band at all during the surgery and that he wouldn't fill it until mid September. This was fine at the time- I had lost 15 lbs in 14 days and I thought everything was under control, but slowly my appetite has increased making me more hungry and eating more. Unfortunately I don't get the dumping syndrome and I feel lost! I've been traking my calories, fat, protein, etc and I used to average 700-1000 calories a day but today I've eaten 1700 calories!!! And it's only 5pm. Is this normal? Should I call my Dr? Or will the fill help me? I'm so dissapointed in myself and extremely frustrated.

Please Help,

Kali

1700 calories is hardly a binge.

"dumping syndrome"? did you have a bypass first and now a lap band? Banders don't typically have dumping syndrome.

Until you get a fill next month, follow your doctor's recommended diet plan. If you don't have one from your Dr. pick a healthy one that you can follow (South Beach is a good one).

Hi there, congrats on your surgery and weight loss...like Pheonix said 1700 calories is not a big deal, not great for everyday though.

If you feel that you need a fill, call the doctor. It doesn't hurt to talk to him and maybe he'll move it up for you.

My surgeon says that if I am using more willpower than band power, to call for a fill.

Good luck!

Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it. I feel really alone since the WLS and I think I just need to get tough. My Mom said she would go on Atkins and we would do this together, but she doesn't want to put any effort into walking with me or changing her diet. She is constantly ordering sundaes or other delicious desserts when we are out together and its hard to not cheat. So far I haven't though. Which I'm proud of...its just... I almost feel like she's sabotaging me whether she realizes it or not. And by simply having that thought I feel unappreciative and guilty. I know I just have to be stronger and work harder at my lifestyle change. But it is a pain when she forgets to buy protein supplements or other groceries that I need. (I live at home while I'm finishing school and my parents are kind enough to support me.) WOW-there was a rant. sorry.

Anyway my Dr wants me on a low-carb diet. But is kinda vague about the particulars- like how many calories I should be ingesting, grams of fat, etc. I know for protein I am to get 60-70 grams per day which I do with the protein supplements, but that's pretty much it. I guess it doesn't help that I've been on gastric banding websites and neighborhoods (before I found this one) and have been comparing my progress and diet to theirs. I WILL NOT do that anymore!

Could you tell me if the protein shakes are to be used as a meal? I usually drink one in the a.m., wait 45 minutes, then have breakfast, but is this wrong? Maybe I should set up an appointment with a DIFFERENT nutritionist...

Thank you very much for the help and the support.

Kali

I realize it's tough, but you need to take control of your own goals. Go shopping with your Mom and chose the groceries that you need.

Did you pay for the surgery or your parents? Either way, it's a costly investment in your future health and maybe sitting down with your Mom and talking about how you feel and what your goals are, might help.

Good luck and take charge!!

I paid what insurance didn't pick up, only about $1500. But I need to be a stronger person. More willpower. And I can't rely on my parents to help me along on this journey.

I just have to remember the feeling I had when I stepped on the scale at the Dr's a couple weeks ago. It was fantastic. I had a huge grin on my face for the rest of the day. I felt like I could do this- I could do anything!

Maybe I should weigh myself more often than just at the Dr's office every few weeks... I just didn't want to get caught up in the numbers. But it feels so great when I lose weight- to know I'm on my way to getting healthy.

Gosh, I am just chatty kathy tonight. I'm sorry. Since finding this site I feel like finally people will understand...

Anyway...

Thank You,

Kali