Burning Calories

Organized exercise is not my strong suit, but here are ways to burn calories without getting on the exercise bike!

Vacuuming – 75 – 125 calories. Give yourself a real workout. Tackle all those corners and specs of dirt.

Cooking - 40 – 50 calories

Cleaning gutters – 340 calories

Mopping floors - 112 calories. Besides burning calories, you can tone your shoulders and biceps.

Yard Work

Walk outside and you can burn even more calories. An hour of gardening burns about 256 calories. You’ll also be working on your arms, back and legs.

Raking leaves – 110 calories per hour

Lawn mowing – 150-225 calories per hour. (Nope, this doesn’t include a riding mower.) The more you push, the more calories burned.

Cleaning gutters – 340 calories per hour, firming your back arms and shoulders

Painting - 288 calories for an hour of painting, working your arms and knees.

Gutter cleaning – 320 calories per hour, working on your shoulders, upper back, arms and legs.

Shopping

Leave your pocketbook at home and go to the mall. Walk around the mall for least 30 minutes, not stopping to look into the windows.

Added Activities

Although housework and yard work do burn calories, if you want to be lose a lot of weight you need to add some form of physical activity that you do on a regular basis. Even if it’s just walking in or around your house, it’s just as good as if you were on a pricey treadmill or working out at a fitness center.

Also, keep in mind that these calories noted are based on the weight of an average-sized person. The more you weigh the more calories you’ll burn. Use an online calorie counter to determine just how many calories you can burn for your particular size.

When you burn calories caring for your house and yard you get a double bonus. Not only do you work off pounds but you can also feel good about making your home clean and organized.

One of my favorite non-exercising way to burn calories is to play with the dog. We run around the yard, go walk to the park and play, chase balls, etc. I don't know how many calories it burns, but it makes me work up a sweat and benefits Bella, my Goldie!

Geez, what do you think I can burn renovating an entire house in 3 weeks?

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired.....WHINE WHINE WHINE

And it was all my idea so I need to shut up and just get it done. My mom has a rental property she was selling 'as-is' and I thought, hey, lets renovate it and get more money. So we are. And I just realized today, that we actually 'flipped' this house in 3 weeks, and for $4,000. Just like on TV. But tons of work. The place was such a dump! I can't believe how much we have been doing and I sure hope this is going to rasie the price for her. I mean, it was not just painting, but whole wall repair before painting. We have gone through an entire tub of spackle!!! One of the huge contractor buckets!That ought to let you know how much repair we did. And the floors UGH! The kitchen was disgusting and took us the longest to get done. GRRRRR

Ok, enough complaining and whining. I hope that counts as exercise because I have had no time whatsoever to do anymore walking.

Organized exercise is not my strong suit, but here are ways to burn calories without getting on the exercise bike!

Vacuuming – 75 – 125 calories. Give yourself a real workout. Tackle all those corners and specs of dirt.

Cooking - 40 – 50 calories

Cleaning gutters – 340 calories

Mopping floors - 112 calories. Besides burning calories, you can tone your shoulders and biceps.

Yard Work

Walk outside and you can burn even more calories. An hour of gardening burns about 256 calories. You’ll also be working on your arms, back and legs.

Raking leaves – 110 calories per hour

Lawn mowing – 150-225 calories per hour. (Nope, this doesn’t include a riding mower.) The more you push, the more calories burned.

Cleaning gutters – 340 calories per hour, firming your back arms and shoulders

Painting - 288 calories for an hour of painting, working your arms and knees.

Gutter cleaning – 320 calories per hour, working on your shoulders, upper back, arms and legs.

Shopping

Leave your pocketbook at home and go to the mall. Walk around the mall for least 30 minutes, not stopping to look into the windows.

Added Activities

Although housework and yard work do burn calories, if you want to be lose a lot of weight you need to add some form of physical activity that you do on a regular basis. Even if it’s just walking in or around your house, it’s just as good as if you were on a pricey treadmill or working out at a fitness center.

Also, keep in mind that these calories noted are based on the weight of an average-sized person. The more you weigh the more calories you’ll burn. Use an online calorie counter to determine just how many calories you can burn for your particular size.

When you burn calories caring for your house and yard you get a double bonus. Not only do you work off pounds but you can also feel good about making your home clean and organized.

Hi there,

I'm so glad you posted this! I was just thinking earlier today that I must be burning something by doing all this painting and cleaning (my house needs it badly), so it was great to read that I'm burning at least some calories by doing these things.

I, also, prefer to walk around a mall (mostly in the winter), and during the summer -- I love just walking around the neighborhood or finding a new park to explore.

Thanks for the encouragement, and all your wonderful ideas!!

- (1jmk) Janet.

Geez, what do you think I can burn renovating an entire house in 3 weeks?

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired.....WHINE WHINE WHINE

And it was all my idea so I need to shut up and just get it done. My mom has a rental property she was selling 'as-is' and I thought, hey, lets renovate it and get more money. So we are. And I just realized today, that we actually 'flipped' this house in 3 weeks, and for $4,000. Just like on TV. But tons of work. The place was such a dump! I can't believe how much we have been doing and I sure hope this is going to rasie the price for her. I mean, it was not just painting, but whole wall repair before painting. We have gone through an entire tub of spackle!!! One of the huge contractor buckets!That ought to let you know how much repair we did. And the floors UGH! The kitchen was disgusting and took us the longest to get done. GRRRRR

Ok, enough complaining and whining. I hope that counts as exercise because I have had no time whatsoever to do anymore walking.

I am eager to see what yall sell it for compared to if you had not fixed it up. Happy selling.