Juicers? anyone have one...post-op?

Guest CaraMBA09

Guest CaraMBA09

I was trying to get bambino to bed and ended up on the HSN (HomeShoppingNetwork for those who dont surf)...I was watching with GREAT awe at everything this damn thing can do!....NO Chopping, Cutting, Slicing (remember the good ol' days?)

Does anyone use a juicer for their veggies and fruits?

Does anyone throw some Whey Protein Powder in this to help with supplementing?

I keep reading about PB'ing and I am thinking this may be the way to go until my first fill.

I don't have/use a juicer. What I wanted to respond to was your statement of using this until your first fill to aid in not PBing. For me there was no PBing before my first fill, remember you have no restriction. Yes I would get full very quickly for the first week or so after starting solids but then it went away. This varies from person to person. It's when I got my first fill and had restriction the PBing started when I eat too fast, don't chew well or take too big of bites. I remember Dr. Ortiz saying he wants you to learn to chew your food and not use something like a juicer to make it easier. This is a lifestyle change and you have to retrain yourself or you won't be successful. I do think the idea of a juicer is a good one though for times when you may be having difficulty getting in all your nutrition and why not add some whey powder to it? I realize this conflicts with what I remember Dr. saying though. In reality to get enough nutrition especially at first when you have restriction I have used protein drinks and powders to help me.

Guest CaraMBA09
I don't have/use a juicer. What I wanted to respond to was your statement of using this until your first fill to aid in not PBing. For me there was no PBing before my first fill, remember you have no restriction. Yes I would get full very quickly for the first week or so after starting solids but then it went away. This varies from person to person. It's when I got my first fill and had restriction the PBing started when I eat too fast, don't chew well or take too big of bites. I remember Dr. Ortiz saying he wants you to learn to chew your food and not use something like a juicer to make it easier. This is a lifestyle change and you have to retrain yourself or you won't be successful. I do think the idea of a juicer is a good one though for times when you may be having difficulty getting in all your nutrition and why not add some whey powder to it? I realize this conflicts with what I remember Dr. saying though. In reality to get enough nutrition especially at first when you have restriction I have used protein drinks and powders to help me.

good suggestions, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

When I was on the pre-opt diet I made the Whey protein with water, soy milk and half frozen bananna. However, when I was at work I just used this strainer mixer which did not keep the shake mixed well. If your going to be on the go, I highly recommend a battery operated mixer you can find at bodybuilding.com. this will be a great help to make the consistency of the protein drink more desirable. They ship fast and the prices cant be beat.

Tara

Yes, my husband got me one of those Jack LaLane juicers and I really like it. It's a healthy way to get my vits and miinerals in, although I still take supplements. My chiropractor says you only really need 4-6 gms of protein per day and that the body eliminates the rest thru urine. I am quase going into the solid phase and still get full after a cup of something. I felt that it would be too much of a shock to my system if I went solid foods all at once, so am doing half and half right now. Next week will do more solid foods. Don't have much of an appetite and sure enjoy food when I do eat. I HATE tv commercials. No wonder America is getting fatter! It sure starts the cravings! Anyone else experience this?

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this site and have sent my questionnaire to Dr. Ortiz. (I have to ask y'all, though, what does PBing mean?)

Also, may I ask a couple of questions please? How do you afford to do this? Do you just happen to have the money, or did you get financing, and if so what financing option do you suggest?

We live in WA State, and it is so expensive up here. We just got our propane tank filled today, and it was $500! My husband and I make good money, but geez it's expensive up here. He is a retired Seattle firefighter, and I work as a medical transcriptionist for our local hospital.

When I started this job in 1994, I weighed 137 pounds; now in 2008, I weigh 281 pounds! I am a Southerner who has never gotten used to the rain up here. Love the beautiful summers, but man this rain will flat do you in as far as outdoor exercise is concerned.

I am determined to get this weight off and keep it off, no matter what, and I have been thinking about the lap-band for years. I have really appreciated reading all the comments from everyone. It makes me feel positive about doing this; I can't wait to hear from Dr. Ortiz' staff.

Keep all the comments coming, y'all. It is wonderful to hear from all of you; it really helps newbies like me. :-h

I just found this site and have sent my questionnaire to Dr. Ortiz. (I have to ask y'all, though, what does PBing mean?)

Also, may I ask a couple of questions please? How do you afford to do this? Do you just happen to have the money, or did you get financing, and if so what financing option do you suggest?

We live in WA State, and it is so expensive up here. We just got our propane tank filled today, and it was $500! My husband and I make good money, but geez it's expensive up here. He is a retired Seattle firefighter, and I work as a medical transcriptionist for our local hospital.

When I started this job in 1994, I weighed 137 pounds; now in 2008, I weigh 281 pounds! I am a Southerner who has never gotten used to the rain up here. Love the beautiful summers, but man this rain will flat do you in as far as outdoor exercise is concerned.

I am determined to get this weight off and keep it off, no matter what, and I have been thinking about the lap-band for years. I have really appreciated reading all the comments from everyone. It makes me feel positive about doing this; I can't wait to hear from Dr. Ortiz' staff.

Keep all the comments coming, y'all. It is wonderful to hear from all of you; it really helps newbies like me. :-h

Sorry, I was trying to reply and accidently sent no message. Anyways, I too am a newbie. I have my surgery scheduled for this Friday, October 17,2008. I'm excited to start this new phase in my life. I weigh 216 lbs and am 5'7". I hope to get down to 135-140 lbs. But if I get stuck at 150 lbs. that would be OK too.

You asked about the money. I used one of the checks of one of my credit cards that offered a 3.99% until paid off. The prices here in Southern Calif. are also very expensive. I was quoted $18,000 in Orange County. Way to much for my blood so I decided to go to Mexico instead. I feel very confident in my decision to have Dr. Ortiz perform my surgery. His experience really sold me on the idea of traveling to Mexico. I had Lasik surgery done in Mexico a few years ago and was in capable hands with the doctor I researched in Mexico too.

I know when you're ready you'll make the right decision for yourself. Wish me luck....

Lety

Yes, my husband got me one of those Jack LaLane juicers and I really like it. It's a healthy way to get my vits and miinerals in, although I still take supplements. My chiropractor says you only really need 4-6 gms of protein per day and that the body eliminates the rest thru urine. I am quase going into the solid phase and still get full after a cup of something. I felt that it would be too much of a shock to my system if I went solid foods all at once, so am doing half and half right now. Next week will do more solid foods. Don't have much of an appetite and sure enjoy food when I do eat. I HATE tv commercials. No wonder America is getting fatter! It sure starts the cravings! Anyone else experience this?

Four to six grams protein per day? I'd be concerned with that advice if I were. you. For example: http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html lays out the given formula for calculating your protein need. If you don't trust this one then google protein requirements .

Jann

Sorry, I was trying to reply and accidently sent no message. Anyways, I too am a newbie. I have my surgery scheduled for this Friday, October 17,2008. I'm excited to start this new phase in my life. I weigh 216 lbs and am 5'7". I hope to get down to 135-140 lbs. But if I get stuck at 150 lbs. that would be OK too.

You asked about the money. I used one of the checks of one of my credit cards that offered a 3.99% until paid off. The prices here in Southern Calif. are also very expensive. I was quoted $18,000 in Orange County. Way to much for my blood so I decided to go to Mexico instead. I feel very confident in my decision to have Dr. Ortiz perform my surgery. His experience really sold me on the idea of traveling to Mexico. I had Lasik surgery done in Mexico a few years ago and was in capable hands with the doctor I researched in Mexico too.

I know when you're ready you'll make the right decision for yourself. Wish me luck....

Lety

Welcome Lety and congrats on your upcoming surgery!!

Best of Luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!

Take care.

Hi Lety,

Welcome and congrats on your decision! I had my surgery last week at OCC and Dr Ortiz was wonderful! I am doing fine and it's a good thing for me! So, don't worry, like all of us newbies are, and FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES they give you. It is basic, but so perfect for what we are going through. Just remember, it's a progressive scale we are doing for ourselves and we need to mentally be aware of this and not rush into it. This is the time to focus on our goals and to retrain ourselves about portion control and lifestyle changes, for the rest of our lives.

Also, read the posts in this forum. It's amazing how much I've learned of the goods and as well of the bads. I find listening is the best key here and WRITING it down to help yor memory to retain all what was said from our veterans bandsters have gone through.

Finally, do a daily journal for YOU. Write down what you eat, your feelings, remind yourself of your goal and think positive of this. The band is a tool what we work with to reach our maximum weight loss.

THIS IS EXCITING!

Jude :lb11:

Hi Lety,

Welcome and congrats on your decision! I had my surgery last week at OCC and Dr Ortiz was wonderful! I am doing fine and it's a good thing for me! So, don't worry, like all of us newbies are, and FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES they give you. It is basic, but so perfect for what we are going through. Just remember, it's a progressive scale we are doing for ourselves and we need to mentally be aware of this and not rush into it. This is the time to focus on our goals and to retrain ourselves about portion control and lifestyle changes, for the rest of our lives.

Also, read the posts in this forum. It's amazing how much I've learned of the goods and as well of the bads. I find listening is the best key here and WRITING it down to help yor memory to retain all what was said from our veterans bandsters have gone through.

Finally, do a daily journal for YOU. Write down what you eat, your feelings, remind yourself of your goal and think positive of this. The band is a tool what we work with to reach our maximum weight loss.

THIS IS EXCITING!

Jude :lb11:

Jude,

Thank you so much for the sage advice. I really appreciate your kind words. Everyone on this forum has been particularly helpful. Tomorrow is the big day. I'm driving down to Tijuana tonight. Hopefully I can help my son with homework quickly and get on the road by 6pm. I'm driving down from the Disneyland area. I hope I don't get too much traffic. I better make sure my Grey's Anatomy and Survivor shows record on TiVo. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure it'll all be fine.

Please keep me posted on your journey. I love inspirational stories.

Talk to ya soon...........Lety

Jude,

Thank you so much for the sage advice. I really appreciate your kind words. Everyone on this forum has been particularly helpful. Tomorrow is the big day. I'm driving down to Tijuana tonight. Hopefully I can help my son with homework quickly and get on the road by 6pm. I'm driving down from the Disneyland area. I hope I don't get too much traffic. I better make sure my Grey's Anatomy and Survivor shows record on TiVo. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure it'll all be fine.

Please keep me posted on your journey. I love inspirational stories.

Talk to ya soon...........Lety

Good Luck, Lety! Let us know how you are!