I think my metabolism is screwed up..

For the past 2-2.5 months I seem to lose, gain, lose, gain. I know ya'll are tired of me saying this. I thought I had finally broken the cycle, but it is back. I just don't understand it. I eat very little, no snacking in between meals, and exercise on a daily basis. It seems like if I don't eat hardly anything, I lose weight. You let me have 2 days of eating a normal, small meal with no snacking and I gain back everything I lost. It is very discouraging and I am starting to think my body is not gonna let me lose anymore weight. I am gonna talk to my Dietician next Friday and see what I need to do. It is just not fair.

I work my butt off everyday and I will drop a couple of lbs and then by the next week they are back. I am really depressed about this today and discouraged with my lap band.

Maybe I have screwed my metabolism up. Something is definetly not right. :huh:

You have come such a long way. The transformation is amazing.

I too struggled with no weight loss and some weight gain. I was eating very little and excercising every day.

I excercised less and ate more, and the lbs. started coming off. Remember to be patient, and step back and take a look at what you have already done :rolleyes:

Oh Kimmy I am so sorry for you feeling down and depressed. You have come such a long way and are such an inspiration. I think bodies of those who have gained and lost weight more than once are just screwed up. You have lost a large percentage of weight and your body is protesting. It may take as long as 6 months or even longer for your body to start letting go again and I know that's not what you want to hear. I don't know this for sure of course but I am trying to make the point that after a large weight loss, even if you arn't at where you want to be it takes some bodies time to adjust. This is the time to just be consistent and don't blow it. I am stalled at the same weight for weeks now also. Up a pound and then down a pound and then up and down, it's a constant rollercoaster. Maybe just put your scales away for something like 2-4 weeks. I know this sounds impossible but maybe it will help you take the focus off the numbers on the scale. Be happy with where you are right now. You worked hard to get there. Again I say be happy where you are today...your are a success...you have lost alot of weight. Take time to enjoy right where you are. Yes it's easy for me to say this but I hope it will help a little to take the pressure off of yourself. I have a phrase I use for things throughout my life that don't come to me as I want them to come and it's.."Thy will not my will". I repeat this over and over and then put the trust in Him to make things happen. You are not in this alone.

Hugs and kisses sweetie, hang in there

I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I agree with Julie though. I think you have lost so much weight already that your body really is trying to fight it at this point. I think that it's basically a plateau. And it could last a while. Also, your thyroid issue may be in effect here too. Try changing it up. Things like, if you eat more of your calories in the evening, start eating more at breakfast and less at dinner. I honestly heard that this helps. Just get creative on ways to trick your body. I think we get into routines of eating and exercise and our bodies get used to it. Try re-vamping your routine or changing it altoghether. Just to throw your body off the trail. Or try what Julie said, and put that scale away for a bit. I hope you get some answers from the nutritionists and things start moving for you. Keep us posted. You look so amazing girl.

I know how you feel. If you have a test and study for an A you expect to get an A, not a C or D. I think I should be losing weight faster also. I know what I put in but it does not always reflect on the scale. I would like to know what the dietician says. I guess it could be a number of things. Post back with a follow up. I do think your doing great and should be proud, but it's hard to be happy with anything other than an A when you work so hard.

Hey Kimmie-

I am kinda of in the same boat, I don't know if it has something to do with the 170's or that we have both lost a lot of weight so maybe our bodies are just playing catch up... I know it sucks hearing that, it also sucks seeing those numbers go up and down on the scale (I am right there with you)...

I have really been slacking on the exercise since we moved so that (along with my reecent fill) is what I am hoping will kick start my weight loss to another 5-10lbs... Honestly I could be perfectly happy living the rest of my life at around 160-170lbs and a size 8/10 if I get smaller great, but I am done pressuring myself as long as I don't go back up (which is hard to do with the band) I will be fine!!

Keep your chin up!! You ROCK sister...

Kim, as I have been on this site your posts and photos have been a HUGE inspiration.... hang in there and remember that you are such a help those of us who haven't started our journey yet!

Kim - I am sorry to hear you are struggling. I can definitely relate to you (and Michelle too)!! Just like everyone else said, though, you look FABULOUS and have done such a great job so far!! As frustrating as it may be, just try to hang in there and maybe switch up your exercise routine, or try switching up your foods. Sometimes changing the routine helps a lot. Best of luck sweetie

Hello girls,

So I haven't said much about my weight loss because I too, am in the same boat. I have been fluctuating from 185 to 182 since July 29th. :lb12:

I have to admit that I have been cheating the guidelines, especially with the liquid calories and slider foods. I have a new boyfriend who eats like crap, and I just want to make my own dinner when I am there but can't see myself buying groceries so soon and stacking it in his refridgerator.

Anyways Kim, there are a few of us who are right there with you. I think everyone will eventually come to this point where you hit a major plateau, and it's hard to dig inside ourselves and find the motivation that we had pouring out of us at one point, to fight this struggle with everything we've got. I do know that if I my Dr. Ortiz book wasn't packed away in storage right now, I would have that thing out and teaching myself all over again about the guidelines, how much protein and water I need a day, which veggies and starches are the best for you, and to make myself regain the willpower to not have so many cocktails (swimming pool parties every weekend!!), Iced Tea, Juice, etc. I don't do this (again, probably should) but try counting your calorie intake to make sure that youre getting enough in so that you're not malnutritioned. I know none of us will lose weight if we get less than 1000 calories a day.

Try to hang in there. Mindy told me something that made me feel a little better yesterday. "It took a while to put on the pounds, it's going to take a while to lose them."

Keep your head up Kim, you have done a terrific job!!

Hi Evette, I know exactly where you are coming from, when I met my husband 22 years ago, he ate like crap too, we did dinners, parties, weekends away and hence 22 years later I had gain 150 lbs. Please don't jeopardize all of your hard work, if he cares for you, he will be more considerate of your choices. Good Luck Baby!!

I am here! I have some weeks where I get burnt out on the computer and I just stay away for awhile. LOL

Thanks for all your replies. I am relieved to know that I am not the only one who is struggling. It is very discouraging. I am still exercising 4-5 days a week and eating less, yet the lbs don't budge. I get my 7th fill on Friday so maybe it will help, but right now I am thinking it won't.

I am here! I have some weeks where I get burnt out on the computer and I just stay away for awhile. LOL

Thanks for all your replies. I am relieved to know that I am not the only one who is struggling. It is very discouraging. I am still exercising 4-5 days a week and eating less, yet the lbs don't budge. I get my 7th fill on Friday so maybe it will help, but right now I am thinking it won't.

I forgot to add, I had my thyroid levels checked this morning so I should know the results in a couple of days. Maybe my med dose is screwed up now since I have lost so much weight. We will see!

Hey Kim,

I am new at all of this... I know you are working out all the time. You may want to check this out to get over your plateau. my husband & I hired a personal trainer for 6 weeks at Lifetime Fitness. This gym offers a MAP (metabolic assessment profile) and Resting metabolic Rate test (RMR). You can probably have it done at any gym.

The RMR assesses calories, carbs, fat burned at rest to keep the body functioning.

The map assesses calories, carbs, fat burned while exercising plus aerobic capacity. The MAP includes the following things:

aerobic base, anaerobic threshold, & aerobic capacity.

We were told that this should be done again after losing or gaining 20 pounds.

So I am looking for a kick start to my weight loss. I get my fill on Saturday & have this testing done afterward.

Amy

My fill doc does more than just fills, he is a full service weight loss clinic he does weekly seminars about things like carbs his wife is a psycho-thearpist as well and nutritionist and offers help that way.. Anyways he offers that test for $50 and I am thinking of doing it!!

I did it back when I was about 200lbs a few years back with a personal trainer and it said that my daily burn rate was 1300calories per day... I never knew that it could change with weight loss so I will be sure to go in for this test soon!

Let us know how your test goes!