Some Questions About Banding

I am new to the forum and will not be banded until Oct 13th, but just had a few questions.

1. What is BPing?

2. Why no drink with meals?

3. Why no soda pop?

Thanks

Melissa

Hi Melissa, welcome and congrats!!

You have a made a great decision to be banded!!

To answer your questions:

PBing is Productive Burp. If you eat too quickly, too much, do not chew well or eat something your body doesn't like (eg: greasy foods), your body creates a slime (my surgeon told me is saliva) to move the food either down into your pouch or up and out. When it comes up and out, your mouth fills with slime and brings up the food with it. It has happened to the best of us, the stuck food hurts worse than the PBing. It's a relief once it's over.

Drinking with meals washes the food from your small pouch into your largest stomach area and you won't feel full after eating. The goal is to eat protein, veggies, grains and fruit, in that order. The protein is solid and takes longer to digest, hence making you feel full longer.

Soda/pop is carbonated, any carbonated drink causes gas build up in your pouch and can stretch it. Avoid it at all costs.

I hope this answers your questions and feel free to ask away!!!

Best of Luck!!

I am new to the forum and will not be banded until Oct 13th, but just had a few questions.

1. What is BPing?

2. Why no drink with meals?

3. Why no soda pop?

Thanks

Melissa

You should purchase and read "Lap-Band for Life" The Complete Patient Guide to Success with the Lap-Band, by Ariel Ortiz Lagardere MD. I purchased mine through Amazon.com. This book explains the processes before and after surgery. My surgery is schedule for next week and thanks to Dr. Ortiz's book I know why there's a pre-op diet, the special diet afterwards and what my life will be like once banded. What BPing is, why no drinking at meals, and especially why you should avoid sodas and beer. We bandsters will have to make some changes in life and giving up a few foods, let's face it, are not good for us to begin with. There are healthier alternatives. This is just part of living the rest of our lives in "bandland".

Dr. Martinez said that there was no actual scientific proof that carbonation could stretch your pouch, but they really believe that it can. What he said to me was would you rather keep your pouch the size it should be or test the boundaries by drinking carbonation. And once you stretch your pouch, the only way to correct it is through surgery. I would say it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to things like this. The way I see it, carbonation is bad for us anyway. I was a diet soda junky and gave it up during my pre-op phase to lose weight ( worked wonders) and now I feel so much better without it. I don't miss it at all.

Diet pop is going to be the hardest thing for me. I drink about 10-12 diet pepsi's a day.

I guess I should try to stop drinking it now. I only have 4 left here at home, when those

are gone I will not buy anymore.

Diet pop is going to be the hardest thing for me. I drink about 10-12 diet pepsi's a day.

I guess I should try to stop drinking it now. I only have 4 left here at home, when those

Aspartame is so bad for you anyway. Carbonation or not. I have gotten used to drinking de-caf tea and if you must sweeten it, use splenda. You can also use green tea drops with acai berry that are really great for you. I add these to my water and tea, I drink water all day long and always have a bottle of this in my purse. I actually cut soda months ago when I got hooked on this.....check it out, it just might help you kick sodas as it did me. Seriously, I drank just as many Diet Dr.Peppers as you do Pepsi's. But when I learned about Aspartame, I quit! This atleast gives your water different flavors with no calories or sugar!

http://www.myseriesse.com/GreenTea_shop.aspx?ID=danaball

Hi Melissa, I thought the exact same thing, I drank Diet coke the minute I woke up until I went to bed, but gave it up cold turkey when I started my pre-op diet on May 27th and haven't looked back. I actually don't even miss it. My oldest son drinks alot of pop too, so it's in the house, I have no craving for it all anymore. I only drink water now. I do not drink any calories at all, I save them for the food.

In addition, diet soda is a diaretic, which always slows weight loss.

You can do this, there are many former soda addicts on this forum and we've all kicked the habit!!