Gum after surgery

Hello Everyone,

I have so enjoyed reading everyone's advice and stories. Thanks for your posts! I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with chewing gum post op. I am a huge gum person and am obsessed with fresh breath! Just thinking about if it will increase gas or how it will effect the band??? It may seem silly, but I want to make sure to do everything right. Thanks!

I was a big gum chewer too. As I was leaving the OCC after surgery the nurse grabbed a garbage can and held it up in front of me and said no gum! I guess you swallow air while chewing. I just carried my toothbrush and paste with me. I have since started back chewing gum because I am eating solids again and that often includes garlic and onions. :P I don't think it's giving me any problems.

I was told that it was okay to chew gum (by Dr. Miranda). It's obviously imporant that you NOT be a gum swallower!!! I'm 45 years old and have outgrown that long ago! :)

So gum helped get me through my pre op diet by keeping my chompers busy. I did not experience any gas and it had no effect on the band.

Again.... if I had the tendency to swallow my gum, I wouldn't be chewing it with my band!

Hello Everyone,

I have so enjoyed reading everyone's advice and stories. Thanks for your posts! I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with chewing gum post op. I am a huge gum person and am obsessed with fresh breath! Just thinking about if it will increase gas or how it will effect the band??? It may seem silly, but I want to make sure to do everything right. Thanks!