Only a few more days ....

I'm so excited about Friday --- I finally get to chew something! Will be finished the liquid stage of post-op and can go on to start learning to chew and finally put something more exciting in my stomach than broth and other creamy liquids. I swear, if I never have to drink broth again I will be the happiest person around! :P

Its been a long trek since August 22nd when I was banded by Dr. Ortiz but I know that definitely what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. I've been able to find the willpower that I never thought I had. I have to admit though, I did have a complete meltdown in the kitchen last night .... tears, punches and all! It was quite pathectic to see a 30 year old have a tantrum like that but I really just wanted food. Mental hunger is deadly! What keeps me going is knowing that since I started my pre-op diet to today ... I've managed to lose 24 pounds. Those 24 pounds would have taken years to get rid of .... but they've been gone in just a short time (a month and a week). I can't wait to get down to my goal... I'm so excited!!

I have a wonderful husband who has been great thru it all. He was worried about mood swings due to lack of food (so was I) and was prepared for the worst. But in all it hasn't been that bad. As a special surprise for me ..... and you can all laugh at me but it means the world to me .... he got me tickets to go and see New Kids on the Block in Edmonton (it was my first concert I ever went to when I was 13) for November. He just wanted to let me know that I'm doing great and as a "reward" he surprised me with these tickets. I haven't told anyone else but the forum yet that I'm going - I know my friends will just laugh at me ... but I'm looking at it as a great time! ;)

We leave tomorrow night for 5 days in Nova Scotia. Looking forward to it --- kinda. Only to the whale watching, a hair appointment, being away from work and I get to eat food. The wedding, funeral and intervention .... not so much :wacko: I think I'll need a vacation away from this one! hahahahha

I wanted to thank everyone else on the forum -- its all of your help and support that get us thru the tough times and even though I don't post that often .... reading the encouragement that you give helps ALOT! Thanks for all being great friends!!!

Alana

Great job Alana, that's awesome - you should be very proud of yourself!! I get the hard times, and mood swings but you made it through it! (And so did your husband so give him a big kiss)!!

Have fun in Nova Scotia, I'm out in Halifax often and love it! You'll have fun watching for the whales! (I love the five fishermans but its way too much food for us)!

You made it through the hardest part, now keep strong until you get your first fill! You're going to do great!

Best,

Lisa

Let me just tell you I will be seeing NKOTB in Nov as well and I can't wait! It is going to be such a blast....great memories!!! My mom's friend even offered to drop us off in her mini van just like the old days! :) I'll be the DD b/c I will be just a couple weeks out of surgery so no drinks for me. It will still be a blast though!!

Enjoy yourself!!

Hi Alana,

I am new here and having surgery Nov 5th. I am so cuious about so many things and wondering if you would mind answering a few things for me?????

How fast did you recover from the surgery? I have two small children and no help when I return home.

Where you weak from the liquid only diet post-surgery?

Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Also I am getting tons of flack about going to Mexico. Soon as somone hears Mexico they have some horror story for me. Never mind the comments about just walk and eat less etc...

Like I haven't tried everything!

Do you live in Edm? I am in BC, but close to Calgary.

Hahahaha.... too funny! I wish I was able to still fit into that t-shirt I had ..... heheheh.... Devin bought be two cd's on Friday and i couldn't believe how how I still had the lyrics memorized. Devin just rolls his eyes ..... Glad I'm not the only one going to the concert!!

Let me just tell you I will be seeing NKOTB in Nov as well and I can't wait! It is going to be such a blast....great memories!!! My mom's friend even offered to drop us off in her mini van just like the old days! :) I'll be the DD b/c I will be just a couple weeks out of surgery so no drinks for me. It will still be a blast though!!

Enjoy yourself!!

Alana what great progress you are making. I think you have a keeper as far as the hubby goes the way he did such a very special thing for you. It's nice to get rewards for good hard work.

Your up coming "vacation" sound like it's a mix of emotional events. Be careful not to let your emotions control your eating. I know you are strong and will do well but just wanted to give you encouragement!

Hey there ..... Congrats on the surgery -- its the best thing that has ever happened to me -- well that and meeting my husband :) I'm probably not the best person to answer questions but I'll try to answer them the best I can!

My recovery was pretty quick. I had surgery on a Friday and we flew back to Edmonton on the Monday. I walked around Sea World on the Sunday and might have pushed myself a little that day but I couldn't go to San Diego without checking out Sea World or the Zoo! I returned to work on the Tuesday and had only planned on staying for a few hours to do payroll but I some how got suckered into staying the entire day. Those four days at work were tough but I am lucky, I don't have to do any strenous work (I book all of our Operating Rooms at the hospital). Getting out of bed was a little tough as we sleep on an air mattress (long story) but I did good! I don't have any children, but I have Devin :) Bless his heart he means well all the time but I found that within a few days of being home I was back to doing laundry. I just made sure not to lift heavy things.

I was a little weak from the liquid diet there for a few days. But I just started drinking broth that had a little more salt in it (with no noodles). Drinkable yogurt seems to be my new best friend. I get quite full from it and vanilla is my favorite. I have an Ensure for lunch and find that one can fills me up pretty good. I've had my ups and downs with throwing a tantrum in the kitchen ... but in the end its all for the best! Email me at alanaholmstrom@shaw.ca if you'd like and I can shed some more light on my situation.

Oh yeah .... I've heard it too about Mexico but I just shake my head at those people. I've never once second guessed seeing a doctor in Mexico and i've been going almost every year since I was about 12. I'd see a doctor down there before I see a doctor here in Fort McMurray! Infact I just had a conversation with a friend at work today who told me I just needed to walk a bit more .... or go to the gym. I explained that this was merely a tool to help me lose weight and it wasn't going to do it for me -- I had to do it too. But I find that some of my friends up here aren't .... educated enough (and thats really how I can put it nicely). I figured that this battle wasn't worth trying to fight and just let her think what she needed to. I'm sure there are horror stories about Mexico but I can tell you -- in the years I've been going I have never had an issue ... and I never had an issue at OCC. Its so clean there you could probably eat off the floor. I showed a few of the Youtube videos to people and it really gave them some relief.

And nope - we live in Fort McMurray ..... but hopefully for not too much longer. I'm crossing my fingers we can be gone by the summer of 2010 and back down to Calgary. We left a year ago to be up here to gain some experience and make some money. But I miss the city alot .... its different up here. Lots of money with people who don't know what to do about it and a trailer costs about $500,000 so we won't be in the housing market any time soon here! A house is about $200,000 more than that .... but if you want to gain some experience, this is definitely the place to do it.

Have a good night and email me if you have any questions!

Alana :)

Hi Alana,

I am new here and having surgery Nov 5th. I am so cuious about so many things and wondering if you would mind answering a few things for me?????

How fast did you recover from the surgery? I have two small children and no help when I return home.

Also I am getting tons of flack about going to Mexico. Soon as somone hears Mexico they have some horror story for me. Never mind the comments about just walk and eat less etc...

Hey Julie!

Thanks so much for your comments! Yeah, I definitely think I have a keeper .... ;) I like rewards! Hopefully the end reward for this will be 130 pounds gone and to gain a baby!!! For now I'll settle with concert tickets!! hahahahaa

And you're right .... and I promise to not let my emotions control my eating! I promise, promise, promise! I don't think I'll have any time to eat while I'm there since I'm doing in-law stuff! :) But there is always the reality that even though I try and be as strong as I can, I do have my weaknesses. I appreciate the encouragement -- every little bit helps!

I'll be in touch while I'm gone .... I won't be able to weigh myself while I'm gone unless I head to Walmart or Superstore and find a scale to weigh myself but I hope to be down a few pounds when I return! I'll let you know how it goes!

Have a good night!

Alana

Alana what great progress you are making. I think you have a keeper as far as the hubby goes the way he did such a very special thing for you. It's nice to get rewards for good hard work.

Your up coming "vacation" sound like it's a mix of emotional events. Be careful not to let your emotions control your eating. I know you are strong and will do well but just wanted to give you encouragement!

Hey Lisa -- thanks so mcuh for the kind words!! I was surprised that for the most part of the post - op diet I wasn't a mega biotch. Surprised my husband too! There might have been a day or two -- or an hour where it was bad, but I've been pretty lucky. I could have gnawed off his arm though tonight - he made a sandwich and I just wanted one bite of it ... but I figure why screw it up now - only a few more days to go!

NS will be fun .... kinda :) Wish we had more time to do "us" things (such as Cape Breton) but there is always the next trip! We went whale watching last year while in Cape Breton and I had a blast! I'm looking forward to it this year too - I better see a whale jump! I wish I ate seafood ..... maybe this trip will be something different! I'll be taking pictures and will post them later on!

My first fill is scheduled for October 2nd ..... very excited and nervous! We got some McDonald's coupons in the mail the other day -- I took them to work and gave them to the girls. We don't need that place anymore...... :)

Have a good night!

Alana :)

Great job Alana, that's awesome - you should be very proud of yourself!! I get the hard times, and mood swings but you made it through it! (And so did your husband so give him a big kiss)!!

Have fun in Nova Scotia, I'm out in Halifax often and love it! You'll have fun watching for the whales! (I love the five fishermans but its way too much food for us)!

You made it through the hardest part, now keep strong until you get your first fill! You're going to do great!

Best,

Lisa

Hahahaha.... too funny! I wish I was able to still fit into that t-shirt I had ..... heheheh.... Devin bought be two cd's on Friday and i couldn't believe how how I still had the lyrics memorized. Devin just rolls his eyes ..... Glad I'm not the only one going to the concert!!

That is so great you got the CDs - I have a bunch of old VHS tapes still I might have to get them out one weekend. I don't have any shirts anymore, but i've probably got some buttons and what not.

Have a blast at the concert!!!

You are doing great!! Keep it up..only 2 days to go!

OMG..I am going to see NKOTB in New Orleans October 18th! LOL My BFF and I have 4th row seats! I am all giddy like I am in 7th grade again. I was one of the falling down, screaming, passing out, give them a kidney if they need it fans. LMAO I still have all my t-shirts and everything. I tried them on last weekend and they still fit..haha. (well I am sure they didnt fit at one time!)

I bought their greatest hits DVD so that I can get more familiar with their songs again. I guess they were burnt in my mind though cuz I still remembered each one. I am sure their concert will be filled with 30-something screaming women.

You are doing great!! Keep it up..only 2 days to go!

OMG..I am going to see NKOTB in New Orleans October 18th! LOL My BFF and I have 4th row seats! I am all giddy like I am in 7th grade again. I was one of the falling down, screaming, passing out, give them a kidney if they need it fans. LMAO I still have all my t-shirts and everything. I tried them on last weekend and they still fit..haha. (well I am sure they didnt fit at one time!)

I bought their greatest hits DVD so that I can get more familiar with their songs again. I guess they were burnt in my mind though cuz I still remembered each one. I am sure their concert will be filled with 30-something screaming women.

That is so hilarious I was that same girl too! You couldn't see a single spot on my walls because of posters! I now have such respect for my mom - she had to go with us while we screamed and cried at the concert! Have fun and tell me all about it! I'll be there in Nov!

Hi Alana,

Hi, I just got banded last Thursday. Coming out of surgery you should feel pretty good.

Day 1-Friday-Soar but Mobile (back and stomach)

Day 2-Sat-Travelled back to Phoenix-stomach muscles soar-trying to deal with chest pain from gas

Day 3-Sun-Worst day-really soar back-trying to figure out balance of too much liquid vs. not too much-horrible chest pains and gas

Day 4-Mon-Went to work-came home really exhausted-had a little fever-alot of chest pain and muscle spasms

Day 5-Tue-Went to work-still really exhausted at night-not tired just body was ready for rest

Day 6-Wed-Less soar-little gas-not so tired-worked full day but ready for rest

Liquid diet is relatively easy for me. I don't really want to eat because I don't want any more gas pain in my chest.

As a matter of fact I get to add yogurt tomorrow and I am not really excited about that.

I still have mental cravings-My son brought a pizza home the other night and I wanted to scratch his eyes out for eating it in front of me. Pizza was my thing.

Working and staying busy really helps because I don't get the same type of hunger pains.

You shouldn't have any prob. with the kids. They just have to help mom out a little bit if they are old enough. Make sure you have all of your liquids and groceries done before you leave for Mexico.

As far as going to Mexico, you are going to have a surgery that is going to improve your health. There are always risks when you have a surgery but I felt that I recieved better care in Mexico than I would have it the States. Dr. Ortiz has so much experience, the facility is clean, the staff is wonderful. The only thing that I didn't like about my experience was having to leave the OCC. I would have rather stayed there than at the hotel just because I was around people that were sharing the same experience. When I went to the hotel, I felt very alone.

Enjoy your experience.