Just a few quick questions for the seasoned banders

Okay, so I have hit the 2 week mark post surgery. I have a few questions now. First, do I seriously have to continue straining all my cream soups(particulary broccoli) or can I just mush the pieces in my mouth real good. The straining is messy and I lose out on that precious broccoli. Can I add some velvetta cheese to the soup if it melted in? Can we have fudgescicles? or is it too thick. Milk? Do I have to smash my pills into oblivion or can I just cut them in half. They are sorta small to begin with anyway. Is split pea soup okay? or does it have to be cream based.

I am so hungry and I am getting a little fed up with soup and fruity popscicles. If you have an answer to any of the above question at all, please let me know. Thanks

Hi there, it's recommended that you should be able to get it through a straw, OCC rules.

I eat creamy of potato soup for a good two weeks and chewed the chunks to mush, I was fine. I needed to chew something, my teeth were sore! LOL!!

You can put anything in your soup to make it taste better, you are not counting calories or portions during the healing process.

Fudgecicles and unsweetened puddings (add some skim milk to water things down a bit) are great too!!!

Thanks Cathy- I willing be transition into week 2 in a few days and I was wondering the same thing. So the Straw Factor is the gauge- I think I can live with that. I am already starting to get a little hungry and cant wait for some creamy soups.

BTW- Lifesaver Sugar Free Popsicles are very fulling and delicious....

Cheers,

Tara

Ok my 2 cents. I heard we were not supposed to use a straw. Or are you just gauging it by that?

I just got my surgery on Friday, and up till about an hour ago I was fine. Now my stomach is growling.

Tara, I can't wait to get home to that lifesaver popcycle.

Tara

Okay, so I have hit the 2 week mark post surgery. I have a few questions now. First, do I seriously have to continue straining all my cream soups(particulary broccoli) or can I just mush the pieces in my mouth real good. The straining is messy and I lose out on that precious broccoli. Can I add some velvetta cheese to the soup if it melted in? Can we have fudgescicles? or is it too thick. Milk? Do I have to smash my pills into oblivion or can I just cut them in half. They are sorta small to begin with anyway. Is split pea soup okay? or does it have to be cream based.

I am so hungry and I am getting a little fed up with soup and fruity popscicles. If you have an answer to any of the above question at all, please let me know. Thanks

I was banded through True Results and was told to never use a straw as it causes bloating. Their diet progression is 1 week clear liquids, 1 week full liquids to "mushies" and then soft food. I lasted 4 days on clear liquid, 6 days on full to mushy and then soft food by week 2 with no complications. If you are that hungry then you run the risk of streaching your pouch because you are eating too much or too often.

We don't use a straw - its just an example to use.

I am a little worried, I went out to eat last night to a BUFFET with my extended family. there was no soup. I had pudding and mash pototoes swimming in gravy(I hate gravy but it had the consistency of soup) I mostly ate the pudding and the gravy, but I feel like I did something wrong. I did not eat that much but I am worried that I could have damaged something

We don't use a straw - its just an example to use.

hello,

just have to say your two pics (before/current) look great and are inspiring. i'm new to this forum. will have my surgery oct 2nd!. i'm off to buy my vitamins, shakes, and lean cuisine meals for my option 2 pre-op diet dr miranda put me on. congrats on your success!

october2

Hi there, it's recommended that you should be able to get it through a straw, OCC rules.

I eat creamy of potato soup for a good two weeks and chewed the chunks to mush, I was fine. I needed to chew something, my teeth were sore! LOL!!

You can put anything in your soup to make it taste better, you are not counting calories or portions during the healing process.

Fudgecicles and unsweetened puddings (add some skim milk to water things down a bit) are great too!!!

Dr. Ortiz told me that as long as the pill wasn't too large (like a multi-vitamin or calcium pill) it didn't have to be mashed. He did say to cut up those pills if you still need to take them.

I am a little worried, I went out to eat last night to a BUFFET with my extended family. there was no soup. I had pudding and mash pototoes swimming in gravy(I hate gravy but it had the consistency of soup) I mostly ate the pudding and the gravy, but I feel like I did something wrong. I did not eat that much but I am worried that I could have damaged something

I don't think you did anything wrong. Those food choices won't hurt your band. I wouldn't say eat like that every day of the 3 weeks post op, but once won't hurt. And I didn't strain any of my soups. I just chose soups like the cream of potatoe that I could mash the potatoe chunks in my mouth before swallowing. Same with the cream of brocoli. I think the straining thing refers more to those chunky types of soup. But most of the campbells soup's are thin enough not to need straining.

I am eating sugar free/fat free fudge cycles and also eating the sugar free/fat free instant pudding. I prefer the pudding over the soup and it's less calories to boot. The pudding has made the post op time bearable for me.

Hey october2 - thanks for the compliment - I'm done with my journey and it feels great! Congrats on your decision to get the band - it’s a great tool!

I also agree that you're fine with eating the gravy’d out mashed potatoes, however you do want to be careful - from time to time we do know of those who slip their band when they "slip" off the liquid diet program. You'd know it if you slipped - so stop worrying and just get back on the "band" wagon!