To use FLOURO or not

Okay, I can save a bundled of money if I go to the bariatric doc here in Utah that actually does the lapband procedure, to get my fills. Only thing is that he does NOT use flouro. That's why it's cheaper.

However, I am paranoid out of my mind that the one bite of solid food I took during my post-op diet (yes, I know it was wrong) or I sat up once and felt a "pop" feeling in my stomach, I am paranoid that something could be wrong and I just don't know it. Using flouro seems to give that piece of mind that things are going smoothly.

Do you guys have these worries about your port and band. Do you worry that you have stretched your pouch or your port has flipped. I am nervous about these things, and just want to know if others have these same concerns. I eat solid foods now, and when I feel full, I instantly think, "oh man what if I just stretched my pouch." Doesn't flouro help you to know if you have stretched your pouch?

I just want to know that I am not alone if feeling worried or concerned about my pouch, band and port. Even without any symptoms to suggest something is wrong, I am still nervous that I will screw it up somehow. OR even worse, that I already did. For those of you who don't use flouro, do you worry that you aren't able to see how things are going with the band and pouch? I am such a worry wart, I know.

I obviously can't answer regarding the fluoro vs not fluoro thing since I haven't had my first fill yet, but I can tell you that I bet 9 out of 10 of us probably have these same fears to some extent or the other. I am a HUGE worry wart! I used to be a LOT worse when I was younger and have one worry wart daughter out of the five of them. I think that everyone worries to some degree and I think it would be weird if someone DIDN'T worry about their surgery in at least one aspect.

This issue is a definite concern of mine and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with having a fill without fluoro at least for the first time just because how can they KNOW they have hit the port if they don't see it?

I completely think your concerns are valid and I bet almost everyone will share them with you...;)

I obviously can't answer regarding the fluoro vs not fluoro thing since I haven't had my first fill yet, but I can tell you that I bet 9 out of 10 of us probably have these same fears to some extent or the other. I am a HUGE worry wart! I used to be a LOT worse when I was younger and have one worry wart daughter out of the five of them. I think that everyone worries to some degree and I think it would be weird if someone DIDN'T worry about their surgery in at least one aspect.

This issue is a definite concern of mine and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with having a fill without fluoro at least for the first time just because how can they KNOW they have hit the port if they don't see it?

I completely think your concerns are valid and I bet almost everyone will share them with you... ;)

Vix, that is my big question. For the first fill, how do they know they got the port??? Each fill after, they can draw the fluid out, but the first one seems so questionable to me.

I PBed daily when I started solids and I was worried about my band, however I just couldn't see going all the way back to Mexico for a fill. I have only had blind fills, which doesn't bother me much because you can actually hear the "pop" when the needle penetrates your port.

I PBed daily when I started solids and I was worried about my band, however I just couldn't see going all the way back to Mexico for a fill. I have only had blind fills, which doesn't bother me much because you can actually hear the "pop" when the needle penetrates your port.

Seriously, you can hear a pop sound. That makes me feel a little weak in the knees. But I guess I can see the comfort in the "pop."

Hi Jessica, either way is fine. My surgeon does not use fluoro unless they can't find the port.

I have had two fills, he feels for the port, I lift my head and it pops up a bit with the contraction of my stomach muscles, he put the needle in and extract the existing fill to check that he's in the right spot and to ensure there's no leakage and then puts it back in with the additional fill, presto done!

It's easy, it's painless and the cost for you would be cheaper.

You decide what you think if best for you!

USE FLUORO!

I am 2 weeks post op and I am worried about everything that Jessica says also. However we must use common sense. Excessive worring will drive you nuts. The first fill, as some of you say, should be done with Fluro so that the Port can be found. I agree. We throw away so much money on foolish things, why not pay the extra bucks for yourself, for piece of mind. YOU ARE WORTH IT!! Just start now to watch the prices for flights and sign up for the airline email alerts and get your flight when it is the cheapest.

Remember, this will be tax deductible come April. So stop worriyng and look at all the great pics in here for inspiration. Especially Mamamichelle's!! First fill use FLURO!!

I had my first fill yesterday at OCC and SSSSSSOOOOOOO GLAD I DID! The fill doctor discovered my port was tilted. I knew it hurt for a reason! If I hadn't done it at the OCC, who knows how many times they would have poked me to NEVER find my port! So now I am SOLD on the fact that you should always have it done with FLORO (or however it is spelled). And I'm also sold on having it done at the OCC. I mean really . . . . you saved a bundle having it done there, why not have all your care done there other than the inconvenience.

My fills have been done blind. My port is also tilted but they could feel it, and they are the ones that told me that. They have hit my port the first

try each time. I think it is a personal choice, even though I saved a bundle on the surgery, I still don't have the extra money to travel to Mexico for

my fills. However if I felt there was something wrong I would not hesitate to use my credit card and return to Mexico, for now, blind fills are fine for me.

Laadeedaa, did they fix your port or are you going back to have them fix it? Or do they even bother? Did they say why it tilted? Thanks

The week before I went for my first fill my very close friend's mother, who had the band 1 year ago (locally) discovered her band wasn't even attached. It was not around the stomach, it was like the letter "C". She had complained to the doc for the whole time that she wasn't losing weight. He kept blowing her off saying it's not bypass, it takes time. He could withdraw all the fluid from previous fills so they knew there was no leak. Well he FINALLY did a barium swallow, same as flouro, and discovered the problem. Now she needs additional surgery and she doesn't know if she has to now have the bypass or if the band can be saved since it's grown into nearby tissues. I don't think I can ever go anywhere but the OCC now. If I have to wait until I've saved the money then so be it. I've paid too much for this and I don't want just anybody doing the maintenance.

I searched for cheap flights then made the fill appt, not the other way around. I'm still amazed at the price I got.

Personally, if at all possible I would go to a Dr. who uses Fluoro. The word "blind" just makes me a little nervous..and I'm far from a worry wart. Seems the additional cost is worth the assurance that yes everything is ok and that you're getting the most accurate fill possible. I went to the OC for my first fill, am going back next month for the second fill and intend to have them do them all. While at the OCC I met a gal who had had SEVERAL blind fills (to save money) and finally decided to return to the OCC "to straighten everything out". Also, if I remember correctly, I think when MamaMichelle posted about her tilted port she mentioned that she would have to pay for the repair since she had not had all her fills done at the OCC, kind of like voiding the warranty?

And in regards to cost, three of us went together and the cost was $130 for the fill & transportation and the flight with Southwest was $59 each way. We arrived at 9:30 in San Diego, had our fills and flew out at 4:00. The peace of mind was worth every penny.

Just my opinion...

I just had my surgery so I have 8 weeks to decide but there is a money concern and the fact that I would need to find someone again to watch my son. Leaving him behind is very hard for me. I found a woman here who does it but not with floro. We are debating what to do, I guess it depends on if we can afford it. We would have to leave on a Friday morning and come back on Saturday, I am not sure that is worth the money since it would cost me the motel stay and the flight and the flouro. That could come out to about 400 a piece for my husband and I. When we can have it here for 170 a piece. If it wasnt for my son. I am very concerned about having it blind. Plus the fact, I loved Mexico, we had a ball!!

I was wrong, I looked it up and if I scheduled the plan within the next 30 days and the motel. I could pay a total of $323.00 for both of us. Then I think for the Flouro you have to pay, I think $100.00 so that would be another $200.00 for both of us, so total would be $523.00. I may have to think about this. $340.00 here vs $523.00 there, is peace of mind worth it or not. I do love to see Dr Ortiz. He is such a cutie.

Guest CaraMBA09
I just had my surgery so I have 8 weeks to decide but there is a money concern and the fact that I would need to find someone again to watch my son. Leaving him behind is very hard for me. I found a woman here who does it but not with floro. We are debating what to do, I guess it depends on if we can afford it. We would have to leave on a Friday morning and come back on Saturday, I am not sure that is worth the money since it would cost me the motel stay and the flight and the flouro. That could come out to about 400 a piece for my husband and I. When we can have it here for 170 a piece. If it wasnt for my son. I am very concerned about having it blind. Plus the fact, I loved Mexico, we had a ball!!

Stormy, there is a place in olympia that does LisaL's fills with fluoro in Olympia...she said they are VERY good. It would be about a 2.5 hour drive north...but better than flying all the way to mexico

c

If you have a choice, especially for your first fill, use fluoro. No other way to see the band, how the stomach has healed, etc.

Being in Phoenix, I'm lucky that I can get to two places in a day (and home again) that use fluoro -- though there are several places I can get to in 15 minutes that don't.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys have given me a lot to think about on both sides of the fence. And I can see both sides of it too. I am able to have a fill as early as 2 weeks from now, although I planned to wait a little longer. So I guess I need to make my decision quickly. The only thing I liked about doing them here with the bariatric surgeon, is that if for any reason I came into an emergency situation, he would be able to treat me, rather than having to rush back to TJ on short notice. But you guys made a pretty good arguement for using flouro too. AGGGHHHH. I am not sure what to do.

Hi Jessica.. it looks like it's split even on people who will only use fluro and those who are ok w/ blind fills. My first fill I went back to the OCC because I wanted to make sure everything was fine. It was! I have had 2 fills since then here in Portland, OR from Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick who does NOT use Fluro and they have been great! She has a lot of experience and does a ton of fills. If I ever need another fill I would try and go back to OCC for peace of mind and a "check up".... I think for peace of mind go back to OCC for your first fill and then maybe locally after that. Maybe you can do an "every other" time. Good luck w/ your decision and keep us posted.

Stormy, there is a place in olympia that does LisaL's fills with fluoro in Olympia...she said they are VERY good. It would be about a 2.5 hour drive north...but better than flying all the way to mexico

c

How do I find it, tell me please!!!

I also found out there is a place in Tacoma that uses fluoro. Too late for me on the 2nd one.

I'll check into that one Stormy and you find out about Olympia if you can and we can swap info. I am already going to OCC on friday for my 2nd fill. Why?? I was on the fence and couldn't decide which way to go...fluoro or blind? After careful consideration I just figured for me personally it was doable and it would give me 100% peace of mind if anything should happen to the band down the line. The OCC will perhaps not charge under some circumstances if you have problems if you've only been filled with them whereas if not they definitely will charge to fix things.

The place in Olympia

WASHINGTON - Shelton & Olympia/ Dr. Neal & Dr. Ogle/ Pacific

Bariatric Surgery, PLLC 866-426-4142 or 360-426-4142

Fills for non-patients is $350 $150 for facility. Always done under fluoroscopy. 200 Lilly Road, NE, Suite C-2, Olympia, WA

when I checked into going there it's either $270 or $370 for a fill with fluro... by the time you factor in gas, travel time and cost of the fill you could almost go to Tijuana :)

I went back to the OCC for my first fill. Second fill I did it in Amarillo Texas, Blind fill. He had to poke me 4 times to find the port. He did the same thing that Cathy said to bring one leg and lift the head. It hurt like heck I am planning my 3rd fill back at the OCC. Or I might go some where that does floro.

Hey, good news. I called back the Dr.s office and asked if they ever use Flouro if there was a concern. The lady I spoke with said that I can request flouro at an additional charge. It also limits my appointment opportunity because they only do flouro on weds. mornings. I have to double check on the price though. She said " I think it's $300." I asked if that included the fill fee of $150 or if that was seperate. She said it was included, but I have run into people telling me wrong info on fill prices before. So I am going to double check that. If her prices are correct, than I could just go to the same doctor and just rotate and use flouro every other time or something. I guess we will see. Still worried about problems occuring and needing "repairs" though. Makes sense to go back to the OCC for that reason. I am still figuring it all out.