Weight gain

Hi all,

Here I am going into my 3rd week of liquid diet. I did so well the first week. I lost over 10 lbs!, But

when I started the creamy soups, it stopped, and I've even gained 1 1/2 lbs back. Is this normal???

My group that had it done the same day are having standstills also.

I just wondered what to expect. Is it from the sodium in the creamy soups? I think it might be.

I just started adding liquid protein supplement to my diet will that help?

I'm hardly eating anything and for a weight gain over a week of killing myself is crazy. :lb20:

Thanks for your answers.

Tara

p.s. day by day,,,,,that's all I can say

It's completely normal and lovingly referred to as bandster hell. Think about all the stress you've put your body under these last few weeks. If you did the pre-op diet there was a huge and sudden crash in the number of calories and nutrients you were ingesting, then the surgery, then another huge crash for the post op diet. Is it any wonder your body is holding onto whatever it can? It's the very reason why crash diets don't work, but the purpose of the pre and post op diets is not to get you to lose weight but to prepare for and recover from the surgery. Don't worry too much about your weight loss until after your first or maybe even second fill. Just eat right and let your body heal, there will be plenty of time later to stress out over the scale.

Hey Queen Fiona,

Thanks for your post and the does make sense, but I have gained 4lbs back and I am barely eating! Very disheartening, I could live with not loosing but gaining back what I already lossed is enough to make me go crazy.

I am wondering if part of it is that I was not getting enough protein. I realized on Wed this week that I was barely getting 20grams of protein a day, and Dr. Miranda had said at least 30 grams per day- 50 grams of protein was the max. Yesterday I had 27 grams, and still working to get that up today. I am thinking that maybe my body thinks its starving itself, so that is the reason for the gain. I have a call into Dr. Miranda.

I got the protein water finally, Safeway didn't have it had to go to luckys's and I also ordered some 25g liquid protein from Bodybuilding.com, so hoping by Monday I might see a shift.

Cheers,

Tara

Hey Queen Fiona,

Thanks for your post and the does make sense, but I have gained 4lbs back and I am barely eating! Very disheartening, I could live with not loosing but gaining back what I already lossed is enough to make me go crazy.

I am wondering if part of it is that I was not getting enough protein. I realized on Wed this week that I was barely getting 20grams of protein a day, and Dr. Miranda had said at least 30 grams per day- 50 grams of protein was the max. Yesterday I had 27 grams, and still working to get that up today. I am thinking that maybe my body thinks its starving itself, so that is the reason for the gain. I have a call into Dr. Miranda.

I got the protein water finally, Safeway didn't have it had to go to luckys's and I also ordered some 25g liquid protein from Bodybuilding.com, so hoping by Monday I might see a shift.

Cheers,

Tara

Yeah, and don't forget the powder peanut butter, this is a great idea to add to shakes. I saw this in another post from Mike Fishell. I ordered it today, it comes in regular and chocolote peanut butter. Great source of extra protein! http://www.bellplantation.com/

Try not to step on the scale during your post op 21 day healing period. Do not count calories and drink and eat as much as you feel you need.

After the 21 days, when you start on solids, you can start to count calories and portions. You body is getting used to taking in less calories and it will hold on to the weight or yoyo back and forth.

NSV are much more important until you get your first fill.

Good Luck!!

Hi!

I lost the gained weight plus 1!!

I know Kittycat, I have to stop weighing, but during the first week, I was losing so fast I got addicted to the scale.

I'm just so excited about this.

Everybodies responses are very appreciated. I knew in my mind what was going on, I just thought maybe something

was happening that I didn't know about.

I will really try to stay off the scale, I need to hide it.

I have until next Friday of liquids. I can't wait. But am keeping busy trying to get my mind off of it.

My house is sure organized. :D

Tara

Hi there,

Had some additional protein the last two days and the weight is coming off again. It must of been that! thanks for all the advice its much appreciated.

cheers,

Tara

Hi!

I lost the gained weight plus 1!!

I know Kittycat, I have to stop weighing, but during the first week, I was losing so fast I got addicted to the scale.

I'm just so excited about this.

Everybodies responses are very appreciated. I knew in my mind what was going on, I just thought maybe something

was happening that I didn't know about.

I will really try to stay off the scale, I need to hide it.

I have until next Friday of liquids. I can't wait. But am keeping busy trying to get my mind off of it.

My house is sure organized. :D

Tara

Good idea Tara, hide the scale, increase your protein and you will have a big surprise next week! You are doing so great already!!!

Guest CaraMBA09
Yeah, and don't forget the powder peanut butter, this is a great idea to add to shakes. I saw this in another post from Mike Fishell. I ordered it today, it comes in regular and chocolote peanut butter. Great source of extra protein! http://www.bellplantation.com/

That looks like yummy stuff. I checked out the recipe section. My only question is what is the differance from using this stuff in a protein shake and just taking a tablespoon of pure peanut butter and whipping that in? Is there a taste difference?

Keep us posted on what you think of it.

C

i ate healthy request cream soups, squished sugar free jello in my mouth, and got protein bullets off of bariatric eating .com (42 gms protein in 3 oz., they are clear and taste like vitamin water or diluted koolaid rather than the chalky "choclate" drinks) diluted them in 24 oz of water and drank them throughout the day. Ihad no trouble after that. BUT... you do get a dry mouth, bad breath, from the ketosis. Normal. And you are losing weight. I also felt much less tired with the extra protein. Later I ordered "KIT KAT" bars from them (choclate/choclate peanut butter/mint choclate- "wafer" protein bars and protein chips (not as good but okay)- and I take them to the movies when I go instead of candy.) I still drink protein in my water. Ellen

quote name='Tara2sassy4u' date='Sep 26 2008, 07:29 PM' post='52305']

Hey Queen Fiona,

Cheers,

Tara

That looks like yummy stuff. I checked out the recipe section. My only question is what is the differance from using this stuff in a protein shake and just taking a tablespoon of pure peanut butter and whipping that in? Is there a taste difference?

Keep us posted on what you think of it.

C

Hey Cara-

I will let you know about the taste. However, it will be awhile. I leave tomorrow for California. My surgery is the 10th and we are leaving (by car) to visit family in Phoenix and San Diego on our way. BUT, just so you know this powder is 85% less FAT. As you know regular peanut butter is very high in fat, so it isn't something we would want to eat very often. In fact, it something Dr. O says to stay away from in his book. :) Mike did say it was great, that is why I bought it. They have regular and chocolate peanut butter and both of them tax, shipping and all was a little over 20 bucks!

D~

Tara, I am one month post op and yes it's normal. My scale keeps going up a few down a few. So I can't change my weight loss number from 35 yet. I think it's best to put away the scale. Focus on following the bandster eating rules. Get your water in every day. The creamy soups with all that salt can cause water retention. But guess what one of the best cures for water retention is? Drinking lots of water. I couldn't believe this when I read it, but it makes sense. If your body is low on water, it will actually hold onto water and cause bloating. But if you drink what you need everyday, than your body will let go of the excess and only keep what you need. I actually put this to the test and can say that it worked 100%. Drink 64 oz of water a day at least. I know you are only 3 weeks out and this might be hard. At one month, I just started being able to get down my 64 oz. But try your best every day. And don't worry about the scale right now. Let yourself heal. If that number goes up a little, it will eventually come back down with some more on top of it. By the way, I only lost 10 pounds in all three weeks of post op. So your doing great.

Jessica,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I do believe your right when it comes to water and the protein of course. I finally got an account on dailyplate.com and surprisingly with the cream soups a little sometime has alot of calories in it, so now I am more aware of how much I am eating.

However, according to dailyplate if I want to loose 2lbs a week then I can have 1750 calories per day. That seems really high, I thought it was more around 1000-1500. Is there any diet plans on the forum that provide a calorie count per day or suggest recommend plan?

I just want to make sure when I get to day 22, that I make sure to follow the right plan.