Not doing too well

Try and get ahold of some clear protein (bariatric eating.com) (protein "bullets") and add it to water. And cold liquid if you can tolerate it will do a lot more for the swelling than warm water. You need to constantly sip water so you do not get dehydrated and if you get sleepy or dizzy, or are not hardly peeing, you need to go to the hospital. I feel for you. Ellen

Ellen I Just ordered a pack of 12 and paid for 2 day delivery. I just poured one of the 2 I have left over ice and will sip on it. Thanks so much for the tip again!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellen I Just ordered a pack of 12 and paid for 2 day delivery. I just poured one of the 2 I have left over ice and will sip on it. Thanks so much for the tip again!!

Well, good, cuz I'm worried about you. Sip, Sip, Sip. And, sleeping a lot is a sign of not enough protein and dehydration- I had it happen to me 4 days post op- felt a million times better after protein bullet

Well it's about 8:30 pm and I can finally drink more than just a 1/2 thimble sip of liquids. Yahoo. I don't even feel the liquid so much staying stuck in my throat and small pouch area. It's good because I have to take more pills in the evening. I had a 3 ounce protein bullet for 25 grams protein. I've had about 16 ounces total today of water and gatorade. I feel that's pretty good. I am sure full feeling. It's going to be ok I think, thank you Lord, and all of you for your support and suggestions.

It was nice to meet you at the restraunt Julie. We didn't spend alot of time at the hotel. Didn't get to say hello to Cujo either. Sorry to hear about your problems with your fill. I was wishing mine was a little bit more restrictive, but after reading your posts, I guess I'm glad it's not. Hope everything gets better soon.

Hey buddy!!

Whats going on with you????????

I am so sorry I missed this post, I should be hung up by my toes!

I do hope you are ok and feeling better now. And if not, you better get off that butt of yours and make a phone call!!!!!!

You hear me? Yup, I'm yelling, it's what I do best, LOL!! I am going to keep harassing you until you make that call!

UPDATE: Monday at about 11:10 AM

Just got up. Slept ok. My work just called and they are very slow and wondered if I wanted to stay home. AMEN I said as I was thinking of calling in sick but didn't really want to as I feel just ok. This is so great. I do believe the Lord takes care of me. I need this extra day to sort of rest and recuperate believe it or not. Now my fibromyalgia has kicked in so bad I just hurt everywhere.. :(( I feel like I could use some cheese with this whine if only I could get it down!!!

I am starting safely this AM with a cup of warm water. Gotta take those darn pills and this seems to get them down. I did manage to feel better last night around 10 pm or so and ate a Haagen Daz 100 calorie raspberry vanilla sorbet frozen bar...YUMMY!! It went down nicely with no probs. I had no trouble during the night either like the night before waking up sort of choking on liquid so that' super good. Yes I think I am going to be OK just need to be extra careful. This morning I must sip, sip, sip my water as I feel it go down and then stop for awhile. I am happy to announce that I have lost 2 pounds during this ordeal though....always good news. I hope that trend continues.

So for now my friends I say a huge thank you to all of you. I love each of you and thanks for all your help and suppport. I'll keep you posted and if I don't you know something is really wrong!!

Hi Julie,

I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through - sounds like a nightmare! I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better, although it does sound like you're still struggling just to drink liquids, and so not quite out of the woods yet.

Glad to hear you have those protein bullets on hand - seems like exactly what you need.

I go for my second fill Weds. I've been hoping I get a lot - but I guess I better hope for just enough.

Take care of yourself!

Susan

Julie,

I just read this thread and I'm so glad you are feeling somewhat better. I was getting more and more worried as I read from the beginning until now, but whew...it sounds like you are doing a little better. My doctor is local, in the Houston area, and his rule is to call him immediately if you have trouble keeping anything down after a fill. He wants us to follow the liquid diet for 48 hours after a fill, then move to creamy liquids for 1 day, then soft foods one day and then finally regular food. If at any time during this we experience trouble, we are to call. I realize that since he is local, that doesn't make it a very hard decision to make, unlike you....having to call Mexico! So, I totally understand your predicament. I only wanted to share our protocol after a fill.

I really hope you are able to eat something more substantial soon, and that you don't have to make a trip back to TJ. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all. I'm going for my 3rd fill next week.

Feel better!

Denise

I am sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing problems with keeping your food down. I, too, have been struggling with this. I posted about it last week I think, and then for a few days it was better and I was able to keep some stuff down with a LOT of chewing. Then tonight, though, I had a very small amount of chicken, chewed it like crazy, and on my way home from work I COULD NOT pull the car over fast enough... I opened my door and there it came. All the food I ate came back out. It was horrible. I am able to keep down liquids, but sometimes in the morning even that is tough. Then some times, though, I can keep down solids fine. Last night I ate chicken and some veggies and sweet potato and I kept it down fine. I have no clue what to think??

Anyone have ANY ideas as to why some days/nights I can keep solids down but then sometimes like tonight I am throwing it back up?? I have no clue and I am worried to death that I am going to ruin my band or do something to screw this up. Please help :lb12:

Called the clinic this afternoon and they never called me back. I told the girl my band may be too tight and I was worried. I fell asleep and just now woke up. I am disappointed in the OCC for not seeing this as a necessary call back at least the same day. But I have waited to call. I guess I'll try the 24 hour number??? Or maybe wait until tomorrow. Tonight it feels very tight. I just choked on the same type of protein bullet that I was able to drink last night. It also tasted nasty though, different flavor so maybe that was it. I just made my regular protein shake with milk and powder so I'll see if that goes down.

I am sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing problems with keeping your food down. I, too, have been struggling with this. I posted about it last week I think, and then for a few days it was better and I was able to keep some stuff down with a LOT of chewing. Then tonight, though, I had a very small amount of chicken, chewed it like crazy, and on my way home from work I COULD NOT pull the car over fast enough... I opened my door and there it came. All the food I ate came back out. It was horrible. I am able to keep down liquids, but sometimes in the morning even that is tough. Then some times, though, I can keep down solids fine. Last night I ate chicken and some veggies and sweet potato and I kept it down fine. I have no clue what to think??

Anyone have ANY ideas as to why some days/nights I can keep solids down but then sometimes like tonight I am throwing it back up?? I have no clue and I am worried to death that I am going to ruin my band or do something to screw this up. Please help :lb12:

Carrie so sorry to hear you are still having a hard time. I havn't even attempted any solids since Friday evening. I think we both need to talk to one of the Dr. at the OCC that knows more than we do on this one. I did call this afternoon and they never called me back. Have you called them? Or did you get you fills somewhere else?

Julie,

I just read this thread and I'm so glad you are feeling somewhat better. I was getting more and more worried as I read from the beginning until now, but whew...it sounds like you are doing a little better. My doctor is local, in the Houston area, and his rule is to call him immediately if you have trouble keeping anything down after a fill. He wants us to follow the liquid diet for 48 hours after a fill, then move to creamy liquids for 1 day, then soft foods one day and then finally regular food. If at any time during this we experience trouble, we are to call. I realize that since he is local, that doesn't make it a very hard decision to make, unlike you....having to call Mexico! So, I totally understand your predicament. I only wanted to share our protocol after a fill.

I really hope you are able to eat something more substantial soon, and that you don't have to make a trip back to TJ. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all. I'm going for my 3rd fill next week.

Feel better!

Denise

Thanks for sharing the pst fill guidelines from your doctor. I have been on clear liquids for 3 days now but there is now way I would consider eating anything solid yet. Thanks for you concern.

At this point I am not sure if things are getting better or worse. I'll keep you posted. It sounds like at least Carrie for now and others at different times have gone through the same thing. Does that make this OK? Or as Carrie asked is this going to do some harm? I really want to talk to the DR. tonight.

Julie:

I had my second fill 9/13/08 and I'm still struggling. Mornings are the worst for me, sometimes I can't even get my coffee down, it sits in a lump right in between and a little above my breasts. It's 11:20 a.m. here in California and I'm trying to get a Yoplait down and it's giving me problems.

At night I try and eat a small salad and some protein and I have problems with that too; sometimes it's so bad I throw it out and grab a yogurt - this puts me in tears because I am hungry and the dinner looks and smells so good. It's very frustrating, but I've decided to give it a couple more weeks to see if it relaxes a little - I hope so, I would hate to get an unfill.

I'm slimming and/or pbing at least once a day. I have 2.5 cc in my 4cc band.

Hang in there girl, I hope for both of us it gets better!

Suzanna

Hi Suzanna,

I, too, have a 4cc band, and from what I've read (and the few other people I've talked to) they say that 2.5 cc's in a 4cc band may be too much. I have 1.8 cc's in my 4 cc band, and I'm doing O.K, but I've heard that anything over 2 cc's is getting into the "too tight" zone.

Just keep an eye on it, but if the sliming and pbing keep happening, you may want to consider getting an "un-fill." Tighter is not necessarily better, and in your case, you may be risking band slippage, as well as ill health.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

- (1jmk) Janet

Up early, so tight in the AM even a sip of H2O is making me burp. I will try to call the clinic again today and talk to someone. I could barely get my protein milk drink down last night but I finally got it down. I checked on flight prices back to TJ...$600.00!! That's if I went at the end of the week. We'll see. I don't want to do any harm to myself.

Up early, so tight in the AM even a sip of H2O is making me burp. I will try to call the clinic again today and talk to someone. I could barely get my protein milk drink down last night but I finally got it down. I checked on flight prices back to TJ...$600.00!! That's if I went at the end of the week. We'll see. I don't want to do any harm to myself.

Is there a fill centre close to home that you could go to on an emergency basis? I hope so..you can't wait any longer!

Take care!!

Julie,

I wish you luck in getting some help somewhere. I think if you are still this miserable, surely there is a local fill doctor that will see you. It's not like you live in the boonies...you live in a major city, right? I'm really concerned for you and will pray that you find the help you need, soon!

Fingers crossed,

Denise

Julie you work in a hospital right?

Another member here, who asked me not to mention her name told me a story of going to the OCC for a fill and being just about as tight and uncomfortable as you are now and going back to the OCC wasn't an option (either because it was too far or the money was too much) anyways her aunt is a nurse so she had her get a huber needle and take some of the fill out for her.

Obviously I wouldn't suggest this to anyone because you can risk damage to your port/band but given the extreme nature of your problem maybe you should ask someone about it, possibly someone that has worked with ports in other types of patients and maybe you can get some relief.

After that member had her aunt take .3ccs out of her band she was perfect and hasn't needed another fill or unfill since then and is still losing weight!