Bandster hell- I need help- calories vs amount??

Oh sweetie, I think when you are feeling so frustrated and overwhelmed it's easy to think the whole world is against you. Sometimes I post things and get tons of responses and sometimes just a few. I think it depends on a few factors. One is the time when you post. Weekends are slow. Also, remember that our questions are new to us, but old to people who have been here for a while. So sometimes I think people just get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. I am new too, and everything is new to me. But even in the short time that I have been here, I have seen the same questions get asked repeatedly. This doesn't mean that you did something wrong, though. New people will always join the group and the same questions will continue to circulate. This is a normal part of these online forums. It's not that anyone has something against you. Seriously, I think it all comes down to timing. And you never know when that time is. There are just certain times when there are more people on the board, and sometimes people are more in the mood to chat.

You are an important part of the group and your questions are important and valid. Just not alot of people chatting tonight.

As far as your situation goes, I am only banded a month. So I am not sure. The one thing that I have researched is that keeping your calories at about the same level every day is a recipe for plateau. And that seems what you are dealing with. The way to un-do this(according to research) is to stagger your calories every day. Say you normally eat about 1200 cals a day. That would be 8400 cals a week. Well, with the stagger method, you eat 1400 than the next day eat 1000. You alternate every other day. At the end of the week you have eaten 8600 calories. Basically the same amount as eating 1200 per day. By staggering your calories, you keep your body guessing and confused. This helps avoid those stinking plateaus. So give it a try for 3 or 4 weeks and see if it helps. Also, drink lots and lots of water. At least 64 OZ a day. I can't believe how much this tip has helped me. And lastly, your body may just be taking a break from losing weight. Take a week off from "trying" to lose weight. So what if you gain back a pound or two. Just take a break if you need to. Then go at it again head strong after you have given it a weeks vacation. That may re-fire up your body into fat burning mode. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying go on a crazy eating binge for a week. Just eat normal and don't think about counting calories. I am not saying this is the right solution nor has it been proven effective. I am just merely making a suggestion. If you have been working hard at losing weight for several months and have reached a plateau, than maybe it wouldn't hurt to take a weeks break and see what happens. I have not experienced a plateau yet. So I am just offering suggestions based on things I have reasearched or what I would think of trying if I were in a plateau. And I am sure that it's just a matter of time before I get there too. And these are some of the things I would try. Oh yeah, forgot to mention exercise. I hate it too. But it's obviously an excellent solution to helping get through a plateau. So there's another idea. Hope this helps. We love you and are hoping the best for you. Sorry about the rough time you are having. You can get through this and succeed.

Excellent post! Thanks for that.

Jann

I can seem to eat anything with no problems and usually eat 1 level plate of food. My big thing is that I haven't lost anything for a long time and only seem to feel restriction when I happen to eat too fast. Other than that, I can eat and drink as I did before my surgery! My brother had surgery with me on July 8th and he has lost about 30 lbs plus it takes him about 20 mins to eat any type of food whereas it takes me half that time, if not faster. I have only lost about 10 lbs post-op. Usually my plate will last 2.5 - 3 hours, sometimes a little longer, before I am ready to eat again. I don't know if I need another fill or what? I just had one Sept 4th in TJ and it costs me almost $1000 each time I go to the OCC from Canada so it is really hard on my wallet. Am I worrying about nothing or do I need another fill? I have emailed Dr. Acosta 2 times but no reply :( Is this normal to be not losing this soon after a fill or do I need to go back? I just don't know.......... :lb12:

Russ, it sounds as if your fill isn't there yet. Here's a good test, make sure you're eating in the right order.

Take 1/4 cup of chopped chicken - eat slow, chew each bite 30 times

1/4 cup of chopped cooked veggies - eat slow, chew each bite 30 times

1/4 cup of chopped fruit - eat slow, chew each bite 30 times

1/4 cup of (something that's a carb - I could never make it here or finish the fruit but if you can....) eat slow, chew each bite 30 times

Make sure you're not drinking during your meal and an hour after. If you can make eat all this and you're still hungry, you most likely need to be a little bit tighter. You should eat small amounts in a normal meal time and stop eating when you're done. We can all eat more if we eat over a long period of time.

• Remember to all

• we do hit plateaus

• it takes us a while to figure this out

• it is different for everyone.

We have to work at this and its a pain in the ass sometimes.

It took me 19 months to reach my goal, I go up and down a bit, sometimes it because I’m working out and building muscle, sometimes its just my weird body. But the trick is getting the right fill, I had 3 before I really understood what it was all about. I focused on portion control, and had a good understanding of my caloric intake, my protein intake and my exercise. (I did learn fast that if I didn’t exercise I’d hit plateaus much more often). I became a much more positive person, and focused on the inside as well as the outside, I could be a bit gruff and negative, still am, just not as much and most importantly – I learned to like myself.

Good luck, you might want to look for a fill provider closer to you, there are many CA bandsters on this board so ask them about fills, or if you’re near Seattle we have a few in this area.

Hi Russ.. I think I mentioned this to you before, but Arlington is only 1 1/4 hrs from the Pacific Truck Crossing at 176th. You are in Vancouver correct? You can check out their website.. www.northwestfills.com and check out.. upcoming events. It will take you to their calendar. Also.. check outatheir "education" tab as well. Excellent information on here. Aniat

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Lisal, the amounts you described are nothing for me to eat. I wish I could struggle getting to the "something that's a carb" stage that you mentioned but I can eat all of that with relative ease. That's what's disappointing because I have exercised portion control from Day 1, and have portioned proteins, carbs, etc. at each meal. I chew everything at least 30 times and drink liquids only 45-60 mins after I am finished. When I do finish eating I am not really full but content. Full to me is when I cannot eat anymore whereas content is me choosing to not eat anymore. Dr. Ortiz told me not to challenge the band and try to see how little I can eat to be full. I have remembered that. The content feeling lasts about 2-3 hours most days. If I eat less than my one level plate, I will be hungry in less time and that's where I am having trouble. In my mind, I feel that I should be able to eat only half to three quarters of what I eat now and be full, not just content. Maybe I am expecting too much but I am able to eat the same amounts of food than before my first fill. It's like the fill didn't change anything, at least that's how it feels. That's why I need to know if I need another fill or is this normal for me? What is restriction supposed to feel like? I know if I eat too fast or swallow something a little too big, I get the discomfort and the occassional slime but that's the only time I know I have had a band placed inside me. I know everyone is different but I read here about people who eat so little compared to me and are losing. I'd love to be able to eat less and have to take 20 min to eat it instead of eating what I eat now which takes 5-10 mins!

To address "allcdngirl", I am in Moncton NB and there is no one in these parts that does fills that I am aware. The closest fill site for me is in in the west but it's actually cheaper for me to go to the OCC than it is to go to the west coast of Canada/USA! I just wish that Dr. Acosta would reply to my emails as I would like his opinion on what I should do next but I may have to call him at the OCC to get answers!

I only have 50 lbs to lose and I don't look fat but I want to get down to my ideal weight and keep it there. Here's a recent pic from Mexico and then what I want to look like again! You can see the difference in the face. There's a 45lb difference between the two!

Click to enlarge:

mexicotrip042gx1.th.jpg krisni0.th.jpg

I'm new here and I didn't get banded through the dr. many of you did. I had my band installed 10-15-05 and my top wt was 368. After 6 months, I was down 100 lbs. At my 1 year mark, I was able to have some cosmetic work and lost more leaving it behind on the OR floor. I went down to a size 3 and after getting remarried, put some on. Now I'm looking for a fill to drop back into my clothes as I should be.

Word of advice: stay on course, no matter what/whom is telling you otherwise. It's your health, not theirs. I had Diabetes, I don't anymore. I haven't taken Insullin or my meds since Jan 06. All of my labs came back perfect with the exception of my cholestrol. I did learn that what I'm eating is perfect but my high cholestrol is genetic so I must stay on top of this daily.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer what I can, when available.

Just an update:

I phoned the OCC and talked to Dr. Acosta for about 15 mins and after that time it was concluded that I do indeed need another fill. He told me that sometimes the fat around the band disappears more rapidly than anticipated leaving it loose, thus the need for a fill. I am looking at getting it done here in Canada if the price isn't astronomical. I have emailed some Toronto clinics who may take Mexico-banded clients and hoping they do and charge less than the $1000 it costs me for the Mexico trip. At least now I know what is what and can go forward from here :)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Lisal, the amounts you described are nothing for me to eat. I wish I could struggle getting to the "something that's a carb" stage that you mentioned but I can eat all of that with relative ease. That's what's disappointing because I have exercised portion control from Day 1, and have portioned proteins, carbs, etc. at each meal. I chew everything at least 30 times and drink liquids only 45-60 mins after I am finished. When I do finish eating I am not really full but content. Full to me is when I cannot eat anymore whereas content is me choosing to not eat anymore. Dr. Ortiz told me not to challenge the band and try to see how little I can eat to be full. I have remembered that. The content feeling lasts about 2-3 hours most days. If I eat less than my one level plate, I will be hungry in less time and that's where I am having trouble. In my mind, I feel that I should be able to eat only half to three quarters of what I eat now and be full, not just content. Maybe I am expecting too much but I am able to eat the same amounts of food than before my first fill. It's like the fill didn't change anything, at least that's how it feels. That's why I need to know if I need another fill or is this normal for me? What is restriction supposed to feel like? I know if I eat too fast or swallow something a little too big, I get the discomfort and the occassional slime but that's the only time I know I have had a band placed inside me. I know everyone is different but I read here about people who eat so little compared to me and are losing. I'd love to be able to eat less and have to take 20 min to eat it instead of eating what I eat now which takes 5-10 mins!

To address "allcdngirl", I am in Moncton NB and there is no one in these parts that does fills that I am aware. The closest fill site for me is in in the west but it's actually cheaper for me to go to the OCC than it is to go to the west coast of Canada/USA! I just wish that Dr. Acosta would reply to my emails as I would like his opinion on what I should do next but I may have to call him at the OCC to get answers!

I only have 50 lbs to lose and I don't look fat but I want to get down to my ideal weight and keep it there. Here's a recent pic from Mexico and then what I want to look like again! You can see the difference in the face. There's a 45lb difference between the two!

Click to enlarge:

mexicotrip042gx1.th.jpg krisni0.th.jpg

What Dr. Ortiz says is to "see how little you can eat so that you are not hungry, rather than how much you can eat before you feel full."

Sounds like you are doing every thing right. Don't quit now you are just about to a break through. Remember , the 1/2 cup rule is because that is all the pouch

will hold, any more volume will streach the pouch. do that often enough and it will enlarge and you then have defeated the band. Stick with the rules, they are there cause they work. You have done great so far =D> =D>

Thanks everyone! However,no one ever told me about any 1/2 cup rule. The OCC just told me to eat until I was feeling full. There was no set amount and that's why I eat until I feel OK. It is usually more than half a cup, that I do know, but as Dr. Acosta told me that I probably can eat more due to the band being too loose and not to worry about stretching my pouch. It would be different if I was eating less then all of a sudden was eating more but I could eat the same amounts all along since my fill so chances are my pouch is still the same size. I definitely am not eating anymore than I was before the fill.