Insurance paying for lap band?

Haley

• 5 weeks later...

More and more insurance companies are covering it. Some 80% some @100%. They see it as a better investment than having to pay for the co-morbidities associated with morbid obesity.

That being said, even if you do go to Mexico to have it done, some insurance companies will still allow you to submit your bill after you've paid it, and re-emburse you. It may not be the 80-100%, but some of them do pay, sometimes you have to use their appeal procedure.

Our insurance reimbursed us for surgery at OCC. I was reimbursed the full cost minus $800, and my husband had everything paid for except for $100.

It is now quite common for insurance in the US to cover lapband surgery, although there are requirements which often include 6 month diets, classes and seminars, and other rules and regulations to follow. Some people decide to go to Mexico just to avoid the hoops they are required to jump through in the US.

I submitted to my insurance and got reimbursed for about 1/2 of the cost. They didn't cover the lapband itself, but covered the surgical part, labs, and surgeons fees. You have to check with your insurance carrier as they are all different and coverages can vary. Well worth investigating. I just figured insurance wouldn't pay so I wasn't expecting anything, but what a windfall when I got that check! Just figured it wouldn't hurt to try anyways.

Donna