What about Diet Coke?

I am getting banded on 11/5 and have been browsing the forum looking for answers and support- I am so thankful for this!!

I am a Diet Coke addict and drink 6-8 a day and Yes I know this is VERY bad and have been wanting to quit for a long time.

Is Soda/ carbonated beverages permitted after the lap band?

Guest CaraMBA09
I am getting banded on 11/5 and have been browsing the forum looking for answers and support- I am so thankful for this!!

I am a Diet Coke addict and drink 6-8 a day and Yes I know this is VERY bad and have been wanting to quit for a long time.

naughty girl!

6-8 a day? LOL.

I would start weaning myself off of them now! Dr Miranda will have a fit, the guidelines from her are zero sodas...Dr O's book says a minimum of 6 months before you can slowly have them back. The bubbles will stretch your pouch and from my understanding could slip the band if you continually drink them.

It will be tough, but I would start teaching myself to drink more water and letting go of the Diet Coke addiction.

you can do it! The band is all about being a new you and relearning good habits!

all the best and I will see you soon!

C

No, you can not have carbonated beverages. It stretches your pouch! If you must have one, you have to wait atleast 6 months and they must then be a treat. But, if I were you, I would plan on just getting them out of your diet for good. :o)

OMG- I am soooo glad I asked! Now here is the next question- I am assuming this means beer too? I love Michelob Ultra :rolleyes:

Thanks for responding so fast! I will work on kicking my habit now!

Good response from the ladies and the rule applies to anything carbonated including beers! Six months from now you will likely discover that you no longer have a taste for the things you did and if you still do it will be in moderation.

Jann

I stopped my Diet Coke addiction on May 27th, the day I started my pre-op and I am very surprised how easy it was and I don't even crave it anymore.

Carbonation including pop, beer, champagne are not band friendly, they cause gas which will stretch your pouch and interfere with the maximum effectiveness of the band.

Diet pop also cancels out any water you drink and slows weight loss...I think part of the reason I lost weight so quickly, was due to no more diet coke.

Wean yourself now and you'll do just fine!!! We've all done it and you can too!

4myfuture,

I was just like you. I could and did drink about 8 or more diet cokes everyday. I woke up at 4 am and the first thing I would grab was a diet coke. I drank it all the way thru pre-op. I even drank it the night before surgery. After surgery they gave me some caffine pills to help since I was going thru withdraw and had a headache. It was a horrible habbit to break but I did it and you can to. I am now 6 months post op and tried a sip of diet coke and believe it or not, It did not taste as good as I remembered. Sometimes I want one just to have something different, but I dont do it. I stick to water and the wonderful "snapple low cal drinks" they only have 20 calories and it helps with metabolism.

Best of luck with your surgery.

After my surgery I was in the van back to the airport. A lady was in the van who just had the band removed. She said her band had slipped and she was getting some major problems. I started getting nervous that it might be easy to have a slipped band. She said it was her own fault since she drank soda the day of surgery and everyday afterward. There is no carbonated drinks that are good. Not even a slushie. I cannot even imagine adding any extra gas into something that does not like it in the first place. Water has never tasted so good.

WOW.. her band slipped and it could have been because she drank soda everyday! That scares the crap outta me!

I have never been a big soda drinker but LOVED my rum & diet coke w/ lots of lime... I occasionally crave a diet coke and here's what happened to me the other day...

Someone had just opened a Diet coke at work and left it in the break room... I decided perfect I'll have a drink to curb my craving for it... I took a tiny little sip.. oh man it tasted sooooo goood.. so I took another little sip..... ahhhh... now if I just had some rum ... THEN.. I took a drink.. 2 swallows.. and within seconds I was like WTF!! ran to the bathroom and had the biggest gas/air/carbonated bubble I felt like my chest was going to explode. I puked it up and it was gross.

I will NEVER do that again. Since being banded (almost 7 months) I have probably had 1 cup of diet coke after it has been left sitting out and a lot of the fizz is gone..... this last time it had just been opened. bad bad bad.

I'm not much of a pop drinker, but when it comes to alcohol i'll really drink my captain and diet coke and my beer! Don't mean to sound like a lush, but i've been thinking about options for adult beverages once I can have them. If anyone has any good ideas let me know, but i'm thinking wine, screwdrivers, and vodka and crystal light. I had my last beer on Saturday night - my friends and I toasted and said our goodbyes. :wacko:

Guest CaraMBA09
I'm not much of a pop drinker, but when it comes to alcohol i'll really drink my captain and diet coke and my beer! Don't mean to sound like a lush, but i've been thinking about options for adult beverages once I can have them. If anyone has any good ideas let me know, but i'm thinking wine, screwdrivers, and vodka and crystal light. I had my last beer on Saturday night - my friends and I toasted and said our goodbyes. :wacko:

I loved my Stoli/diet cokes...I have now transitioned to Stoli/cranberries/grapefruit. I also love the crystal light (lemonade), actually, if you go onto GOOGLE and type in "Captain Morgan Drinks" and click on the first link..there is a selection of 62....YES, my dear...62 drink recipes...I am sure you can find something yummy without missing soda!

Check this one out...the names are half the fun!:

On the Deck recipe

1 1/4 oz Captain Morgan® Original spiced rum

3/4 oz Myer's® dark rum

1/2 oz Cointreau® orange liqueur

4 1/2 oz lemonade

1 oz cranberry juice

I am the same way! I love diet soda w/ my alcohol... I now use crystal light and home but when I'm out they don't usually hav it! :ph34r: I like snake bites.... on the rocks... it's yukon jack and I always ask for FRESH squeezed lime juice not roses (which is loaded w/ sugar) I usually order it from the bar because it takes more time to SQUUUUUEZE the limes.. somtimes the bartendars are like uh.. HELL NO! hahahah.. but usually I win :)

I also order Souza Gold tequilla with 2 fresh squeezed limes and 1/2 a squeezed orange.. it's DELISH! I know fruit juice and alcohol are "empty calories" but I figure fresh squeezed is at least a little better ... Basically I'm a bartenders nightmare. :angry:

oh yah... I also have chocolate vodka at home.. I put it in a shaker w/ a bunch of ice... 1/4 cup of leftover coffee and a tablespoon sugar free hazelnut creamer... shake and enjoy :)

ohhhh and I love absolute pear vodka on the rocks... just by itself...

and then...

hahahah sorry..... I could go on and on... but my point is there ARE options... :)

I switched to iced tea and have not missed my Diet Coke/Diet DP at all. I too tried a sip recently and found that it just wasn't like I remembered.

The one thing I did do was start switching over to the Iced Tea before surgery. :rolleyes:

OK, glad to see it's not just me! ;) Those are such great drink ideas i'll have to look them up and more! I know this is a lifestyle change, but when you are out and about or just relaxing at home a good adult beverage never hurt!

Thanks!!!

I was addicted to Diet Coke also, but I was banded on 8-19-08. The day before my surgery was the last day I had a Diet Coke. I quit cold turkey, and I don't miss them at all. I thought it would be hard, but once you make up your mind you can do it too. I drank Diet Coke from morning to night (all day long), for the pass 30 years. So you can do it. Good luck. Sandra