Finally

Just an update on my terrible overfill experience with no calls returned from the OCC. It has been 2 weeks from this day today that I was in such a terrible way. As some may remember I put in several calls and messages to the OCC and got NO return calls. this was a semi urgent situation as I could not even keep water down and explained that clearly in my phone calls. Anyway finally today, 2 weeks later I got a phone message from Dr. Acosta ( who did my fill) to "follow up" on my band. That was it, no apology no number to call back just his name and he wanted to follow up on my band. I can't believe they even bothered to call at this point. Anyway just wanted you all to know. I feel like it's too little too late and will not be calling them back, nor will I be going back there for care.

Again I repeat I would go back to them in a second for my actual band surgery, the care I received then was great. I believe firmly Dr. Ortiz is the best of the best and recommend him highly to anyone needing a band. Just have your after care figured out ahead of time. Think about what if an emergency comes up. Do you have the money for an immediate trip back to TJ? Perhaps you should set that aside if you will be using them for fills just in case. Or have a local fill center you can drive to in case of emergency.

Oh Julie, that must have just frustrated you! After the agony you went through and no reply, to get a half-assed one after two weeks.

You are so right...aftercare is key. Although you may have the best surgeon in the business, that's only step one in the process.

I could not be happier with my clinic...they have provided me with amazing aftercare....anytime I have sent them an e-mail or called them with questions or concerns, within minutes they have replied. If I need a fill, I call and I'm in. They do fills on Wednesdays and if I were to call that morning, I could get a fill in the afternoon.

I am so happy you were able to find the care you needed close to home!

Have a great day!

Oh man Julie..that would really bother me too. I don't blame you one bit for feeling the way you do.

I called the OCC twice after my surgery. Both times I was still on liquids and not keeping them down. I was pretty lucky because both times Dr. Martinez returned my calls within 30 mins. If noone had called me back, I would have been pissed!

hey julie!

wow - i just can't even say how upsetting that all sounds. it almost seems as if they never even knew of your distress??!! i found a doc in calgary to do my fills (he's technically not taking any more patients but i begged enough!) and i'm so happy i don't have to travel all the way from up here in mid-canada to TJ just for a fill. i'm feeling nervous about the whole overfill thing. my appt is this fri afternoon for my first fill and the doc doesn't work sat. plus, until i've had my 24hr liquids and the swelling settles, i'm guessing i can't really know if i've been overfilled anyway! i'm thinking of telling him i'd rather be underfilled than over. slow weight loss is better than not keeping anything down!

i totally agree with you about the surgery - dr. ortiz is great (as far as i can tell) but aftercare is absolutely crucial. i remember he pretty much guaranteed me that if i would pay the 700 each time to come for my fills, i'd only need 1... maybe 2 at the most. he said that if i went elsewhere i may end up needing 4 or 5 because they're just not as good as him! he said i need to keep my priorities straight and not worry about saving some money. LOL. must be easy to say when you are taking in $7000 from 10 people per day!!!

i'm assuming that you are at a good fill level now? i hope it works for you and that you see the results you're looking for!

take care van buddy,

jules

hey julie!

wow - i just can't even say how upsetting that all sounds. it almost seems as if they never even knew of your distress??!! i found a doc in calgary to do my fills (he's technically not taking any more patients but i begged enough!) and i'm so happy i don't have to travel all the way from up here in mid-canada to TJ just for a fill. i'm feeling nervous about the whole overfill thing. my appt is this fri afternoon for my first fill and the doc doesn't work sat. plus, until i've had my 24hr liquids and the swelling settles, i'm guessing i can't really know if i've been overfilled anyway! i'm thinking of telling him i'd rather be underfilled than over. slow weight loss is better than not keeping anything down!

i totally agree with you about the surgery - dr. ortiz is great (as far as i can tell) but aftercare is absolutely crucial. i remember he pretty much guaranteed me that if i would pay the 700 each time to come for my fills, i'd only need 1... maybe 2 at the most. he said that if i went elsewhere i may end up needing 4 or 5 because they're just not as good as him! he said i need to keep my priorities straight and not worry about saving some money. LOL. must be easy to say when you are taking in $7000 from 10 people per day!!!

i'm assuming that you are at a good fill level now? i hope it works for you and that you see the results you're looking for!

take care van buddy,

jules

Hi Jules!

Just thought I'd chime in as you are local. I presume you are going to Dr. Descroteaux for your fills at the Lougheed? Not to worry, he won't overfill you. He gives small fills despite what you ask for. He has a preset guideline and that's what he works against. I'm grateful he does it that way but I'm sure others wouldn't be. You are in good hands with Dr. D! Just be prepared, he's usually running 45 minutes to an hour, 15 late. Take a good book!

Jann

Goodness...it makes me fill at odd spirit to think of how my first fill going to be? I am going to OCC to get all of my fills done as I live in San Diego. It sounds as though you can request an overfill or an underfill...that is what I am confused with. I am thinking AFTER I get my first fill, then I will know when I would need a fill - base on my restriction, I presume. Then, what does the term "sweet spot" mean? Somewhere inbetween the a tight and a loose fill?

Sorry...just being a newvie here!

Jude =)

"Sweet Spot" is when you are eating food, getting full quickly due to restriction, and losing weight at a steady pace. We would all like to be there for a long while....Not as easy as it sounds though!

Denise