FIRST FILL TODAY

Okay,

So I had my first fill today and it went pretty good. I chose to do a blind fill instead of flouro. The doc put 1.5cc in the band.

But he told me 2 things that I thought were strange. First he said that after my fill, I could eat whatever. I thought with your first fill you went on liquids for a few days. He said he used to do that and it didn't seem to make a difference so now he doesn't.

But then he started talking about flouro. I told him that I was aware this was an option but that I chose to do the first one blind and then with the second one I would do flouro. He said that I should have done it the other way around. And not for the reason I had expected. He said that if I had done the first one under flouro, he could have gotten my fill right to the perfect place where I probably wouldn't need another fill for 4-5 months. This seems to go against the majority of peoples experience with fills. So I was really confused by this.

Anyway, since he said I could eat solids, I chose a banana to eat after my fill. And yes, I could tell the difference. Couldn't finish the banana. I then came home and tried to eat and only got a few bites in. So I am definately feeling some restriction from this fill, although based on what everyone says, I don't expect it to last too long before needing my second fill.

Oh yeah, I learned that my scale is off by 8 POUNDS!!!! The dr. scale was 8 pounds less, so that was also some good news. But I don't think this changes how much I have lost. I am guessing that my starting weight was about 8 pounds less than what I thought.

8 pounds.... lucky you.... I normally weigh 3 pounds more. I make sure I wear the same outfit to the Dr. office each time.. Crazy huh?? I know. My husband laughs every time.

I had my first fill on 9/13. I am scheduled for my next fill on 10/25. I had great restriction for about 3 weeks. I think I was still sore inside from the surgery too. Because that kind of pain is gone now. So I may have been a little swollen during my first fill.

Good luck to you!!!

Amy

Hey Jessica -

Did you go to the Dr. you emailed me about? What did you think of him? Good bedside manner? Clean office? Nice staff?

I'm glad you're feeling restriction. When do you think you'll go back for your second fill? How long did you go from your surgery date until this first fill?

Thanks for posting. I was going to email you this week after I felt better. This clear liquid stuff is almost over. I'm excited to add the yogurt and creamy soups.

Talk soon!

That's good news Jessica...my surgeon also recommends soft foods for two days...not necessary liquids, but easy foods, like mashed potatoes and pasta.

I had my third fill yesterday..total of 5.5 cc in my 9cc band...I hope it tightens things up for me.

You are doing great, keep it up girl!!!!

Hey Jessica -

Did you go to the Dr. you emailed me about? What did you think of him? Good bedside manner? Clean office? Nice staff?

I'm glad you're feeling restriction. When do you think you'll go back for your second fill? How long did you go from your surgery date until this first fill?

Thanks for posting. I was going to email you this week after I felt better. This clear liquid stuff is almost over. I'm excited to add the yogurt and creamy soups.

Talk soon!

Yes, I did go to Dr. Cottam. While I think his personality is a little weird, he was nice. I had my four kids with me and he was joking with them. I chose to do a blind fill and he found the port pretty easily. This was a concern of mine, as I wondered how they found the dang port. He put the needle in and did have to move it up and down a few times and sort of feel around a bit. But it didn't hurt. He did say that he recommends using flouro for the first appointment. Which means you pay $150 for his fee, $150 for flouro, and $100 one time new patient fee. Total is $400 for first visit. But then after that you can go in and do blind fills for only his fee of $150. He also said that if you get a fill and it's not right, he will adjust it for free within a week. His office staff was nice and the office itself is very nice and professional. I can only say that I would recommend him to anyone and that I was pleased with my decision to go to him rather than return to TJ. I like the idea of having a local doctor in case of an emergency. Also, if you request a surgery report from the OCC, then you can take that with you to give to Dr. Cottam. Once he has that surgery report on file, he will see you in the event of an emergency or complication. So all around, I feel that it's a pretty good set up. Hope all is going well for you, let me know if you go to Dr. Cottam and how things go for you. I would call and get your appointment set up as soon as possible. I schedule mine for about 7 weeks after surgery. I think I will go back within 4 weeks and get a second fill. But that is just a guess. I have to see how this first fill goes. But from what everyone says, they need that second fill within about that 4 weeks time frame. We'll see.