I can't believe I have to ask this question, but.....

I feel kind of stupid since I ought to know this after all this time, but since I have only had restriction since tuesday.....

when I eat something, I get full VERY fast, like within 2 or 3 small bites, which is great, thats the purpose of the band and I am so happy and giddy over that. But, within 2 hours I am very hungry again. No, it's not head hunger, it is actual stomach growling hunger. So, I eat 2 more bites, feel VERY full happy and giddy again, but then again, 2 hours I am very hungry again and then disappointment sets in. I mean, I am still eating way less, so thats good, but I thought the fullness would last longer. If I try to eat more, then it hurts the band area so I stop.

Yesterday was the first day I really tried food all day instead of liquids. So here is what I ate. 3/4 envelope of oatmeal which went down pretty good since it is mostly liquidy. Later I tried one of those small single serve cottage cheese containers and that took me several hours to eat the whole thing, and it was only 2 small bites at a time. Later I had some beans and turkey, 2 small bites is all. Then later, I had 2 small bites of sausage. But I was noticing that every 2 hours or so, I was very hungry again.

I know this shouldn't happen, so I am kind of curious why it is. Does anyone else have this happen and is it really bad to eat this way - 2 bites every so many hours? That goes against the OCC rules so I am not sure how to handle this.

Boy, you'd think after being banded all these months I ought to know this. BUt, I am so FEAKING excited to finally know what REAL restriction feels like. Now I finally feel like one of you! I felt like such an outsider for so long.

So, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I feel kind of stupid since I ought to know this after all this time, but since I have only had restriction since tuesday.....

when I eat something, I get full VERY fast, like within 2 or 3 small bites, which is great, thats the purpose of the band and I am so happy and giddy over that. But, within 2 hours I am very hungry again. No, it's not head hunger, it is actual stomach growling hunger. So, I eat 2 more bites, feel VERY full happy and giddy again, but then again, 2 hours I am very hungry again and then disappointment sets in. I mean, I am still eating way less, so thats good, but I thought the fullness would last longer. If I try to eat more, then it hurts the band area so I stop.

Yesterday was the first day I really tried food all day instead of liquids. So here is what I ate. 3/4 envelope of oatmeal which went down pretty good since it is mostly liquidy. Later I tried one of those small single serve cottage cheese containers and that took me several hours to eat the whole thing, and it was only 2 small bites at a time. Later I had some beans and turkey, 2 small bites is all. Then later, I had 2 small bites of sausage. But I was noticing that every 2 hours or so, I was very hungry again.

I know this shouldn't happen, so I am kind of curious why it is. Does anyone else have this happen and is it really bad to eat this way - 2 bites every so many hours? That goes against the OCC rules so I am not sure how to handle this.

Boy, you'd think after being banded all these months I ought to know this. BUt, I am so FEAKING excited to finally know what REAL restriction feels like. Now I finally feel like one of you! I felt like such an outsider for so long.

So, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

First off, congratulations on your restriction!! I know it has been a long time coming for you. :)

I didn't get banded at the OCC, rather the Mayo Clinic. My dr. has me meet with a dietician monthly to review progress, etc. and it helps with the follow up care. With that said, the plan that I have been put on requires me to eat every 2-3 hours. I have 3 small meals a day (300 calories or less) and 3 small snacks a day (100 calories or less). They encourage protein first, then vege's then fruits then starch. Typically, when following that plan, I don't get past the vege's before I am full. I take in between 1000-1200 calories a day most days and on days when I don't feel the restriction and I can eat I go to 1400 calories. I have lost at a pretty steady rate since starting this eating plan albeit some months are only a couple pounds at most. The way they explained it to me is you have to use as fuel and rather than just eat 3 normal meals a day or 2 meals a day (which I was a huge offender) you have to keep the metabolism running so it doesn't go into starvation mode. Again, I wasn't banded at OCC so I don't want to tell you something that they did not recommend because they certainly seem to be a great place for the surgery; however, this is what has worked for me. I say if you are hungry and as long as you are following the rules of only eat 1/2 cup of food or less per sitting and focusing on protein first then eat. Tracking your food makes it easy to know where you are getting your calories as well. I use myfitnesspal.com as my tracking tool, but it could be as simple as tracking in a journal.

You are doing great and I pray you keep the restriction so you can get this weight dropping off once and for all. Remember, we are in it for the marathon - not the sprint! :)

Take care,

I have only had restriction since. Oct. 14th. I have been with the same fill doc since my frst fill. He is only about 2 miles from my house.

I was overful after this third fill. He made it a bit too aggressive. I could not drink or eat pretty much anything. I decided that I needed to see the doc before the weekend or I would probably be in big trouble before it was over. He did not even charge me for the unfill. (His office charges $100 per fill.)

I am not sure if you are over-full (just a tad) or what. I think if you are it would be a TINY bit over full..BUT I also know I am THRILLED to finally have restriction. I know the agony of not having restriction. I KNOW the band is working now. I am having to LEARN how to know when to stop and I am making mistakes a lot yet. (I have PB'ed more than I care to admit.) BUT I am now losing! I have finally broken the 50 pounds lost barrier. I am under a pound from TWOSVILLE...FINALLY. I know most people would not like to be in Twosville, but I have not been there in years!

If your issues continue, I would call the local fill doc and see what they think. It could just be that you need to take it slow for a bit longer to get used to this new experience. And maybe give you both restriction and peace for more than 2 hours. Take care!

My dear Mona:

When I went to the fill center USA here locally the suggested eating plan is 3 small meals and 3 snack, eating every 2-3 hours like iamworthit said was suggested to her. This makes so much more sense to me. It is the way diabetics eat to keep their blood sugars stable and I think many people would benefit from this type of eating plan. I have heard over and over again (pre-banding) that this is the best way to eat. It does keep the metabolism working and won't stretch your pouch. I think as the days go by you will se that you can eat a tad bit more so don't run in for an unfill as long as you are eating and keeping fluids down, that's just my opinion. After my unfill I could only eat 2-3 bites at a time and now I eat about 1/2 cup. I am so happy you have restriction, this is what you have been wanting and needing to kick start you back into weight loss.

Well I kind of knew that too, that small more frequent meals were better for you, but since that goes against the OCC rules, I wasn't sure. But, since it's the best I can do now, and theris NO way I want an un-fill at this point, I'll just do the best I can for now. I know if it gets too tight, I'll definitely go back. I guess I just wanted someone to say it was ok to go beyond the 3 meals. Well, I can't even say they are meals with just 2 or 3 bites a time!

Thanks for you help guys!!

Well I kind of knew that too, that small more frequent meals were better for you, but since that goes against the OCC rules, I wasn't sure. But, since it's the best I can do now, and theris NO way I want an un-fill at this point, I'll just do the best I can for now. I know if it gets too tight, I'll definitely go back. I guess I just wanted someone to say it was ok to go beyond the 3 meals. Well, I can't even say they are meals with just 2 or 3 bites a time!

Thanks for you help guys!!

Hi Mona, as long as you are full after eating, even if it's 6 times per day, you are on your way...keep your food choices healthy and under 1200 calories per day and girl you will be lookin' hot in no time!!

Guest CaraMBA09
First off, congratulations on your restriction!! I know it has been a long time coming for you. :)

I didn't get banded at the OCC, rather the Mayo Clinic. My dr. has me meet with a dietician monthly to review progress, etc. and it helps with the follow up care. With that said, the plan that I have been put on requires me to eat every 2-3 hours. I have 3 small meals a day (300 calories or less) and 3 small snacks a day (100 calories or less). They encourage protein first, then vege's then fruits then starch. Typically, when following that plan, I don't get past the vege's before I am full. I take in between 1000-1200 calories a day most days and on days when I don't feel the restriction and I can eat I go to 1400 calories. I have lost at a pretty steady rate since starting this eating plan albeit some months are only a couple pounds at most. The way they explained it to me is you have to use as fuel and rather than just eat 3 normal meals a day or 2 meals a day (which I was a huge offender) you have to keep the metabolism running so it doesn't go into starvation mode. Again, I wasn't banded at OCC so I don't want to tell you something that they did not recommend because they certainly seem to be a great place for the surgery; however, this is what has worked for me. I say if you are hungry and as long as you are following the rules of only eat 1/2 cup of food or less per sitting and focusing on protein first then eat. Tracking your food makes it easy to know where you are getting your calories as well. I use myfitnesspal.com as my tracking tool, but it could be as simple as tracking in a journal.

You are doing great and I pray you keep the restriction so you can get this weight dropping off once and for all. Remember, we are in it for the marathon - not the sprint! :)

Take care,

That is some great info! Directly from one of the best facilities in the US, so you cannot beat that kind of information. I was going to add that from all the reading about nutrition and such. Most serious health nuts (like Jillian Michaels) say to eat 6 small meals in a day...this is not full meals, but snacks etc.

Congrats Mona...it sounds like you are on the right track. Now kick some weightloss A$$

I have not had a fill yet but I have spent many years dieting so I have learned some good practices. Eating 5 small meals throughout the day is the best way to loose way healthy. Your body is able to digest the food and you convert it into energy more efficiently. When you use it up fill it up. Sort of like a gas tank. This way you don't have more calories than you need which gets stored...and I'm sure you know what happens next the scale goes up after a certain amount of unused calories is stored. So it seems to me that if you could eat 200 cal 5 times a day your doing great. Good Luck!

Hi Mona.... Congrats on your restriction and ENJOY it!!!

Here are my thoughts, if you are full after 2-3 bites, then stop eating and eat again in a couple hours, get full again on the 2-3 bites. If you do the math over a 24 hour period, taking off 8 hours for sleeping that is only like 24-36 bites for the whole day! We all know that if that is all you are eating you WILL lose weight!!

I would just really encourage you to make really smart choices for those 2-3 bites. Pick moist solid proteins like fish, chicken, beef. Try to avoid mushy foods like oatmeal, potatoes, cottage cheese.

A long time ago I read to avoid cottage cheese, even though it is considered a "diet" type food, something about the texture and how it looks is how it ends up looking on your body. I know I don't want any more cottage cheese on my thighs!

Best of luck!!