Do I need an "unfill"...

Hi everyone... for the past few days I have been struggling. For the first time on Thursday I had something stuck and threw up. Today... I had some seafood chowder at the restaurant (wasn't sure what else to have as I'm pretty tight until afternoon) at noon. I could feel it going down. I kept to the creamy broth and only had a couple of the tiny shrimp and chewed them really well. 1/2 later I was throwing it up. 4:00 pm I was able to drink a protein drink. It's 5:15 and I'm just trying to have a small cup of sugar free ice cream, and again, I can feel it going down. Is it because it's cold and therefore making my band more restrictive? I'm going to a party tonight and I'm really going to be careful with what I have.. (dinner is included). Last weekend I was able to eat some spaghetti sauce that I made, and it went down ok. Just really hoping that I don't have to go for an unfill. Your thoughts?? Thanks, Anita

Hi Anita, as long as you are able to liquids down and they are staying down, I don't think you need an unfill. Certain times of the day, certain times of the month and certain foods get stuck for me too.

I drank a Slim Fast for breakfast, some sheppard's pie for lunch and dinner was a write-off, ate about 1/2 a homemade burger (no bun), chopped really small, but it got wicked stuck and I couldn't eat anymore or anything else.

I can't eat in the morning, I am really tight..but lunchtime seems okay so far, dinner comes and goes. I would monitor it and if you are not able to eat anything without it getting stuck or PBing, you may need a little unfill.

Good luck sweetie..I know it's not fun...but it does loosen up over time.

Take care!

Guest CaraMBA09
Hi Anita, as long as you are able to liquids down and they are staying down, I don't think you need an unfill. Certain times of the day, certain times of the month and certain foods get stuck for me too.

I drank a Slim Fast for breakfast, some sheppard's pie for lunch and dinner was a write-off, ate about 1/2 a homemade burger (no bun), chopped really small, but it got wicked stuck and I couldn't eat anymore or anything else.

I can't eat in the morning, I am really tight..but lunchtime seems okay so far, dinner comes and goes. I would monitor it and if you are not able to eat anything without it getting stuck or PBing, you may need a little unfill.

Good luck sweetie..I know it's not fun...but it does loosen up over time.

Take care!

I remember one of the Portland gals saying that she sits in a hot tub or takes a warm bath. It tended to 'loosen and relax' things up quite a bit.

Maybe take a warm bath before going for an unfill to see if that makes a difference

Thanks Cathy and Kara... I did have some tea before the soup as ever morning I have to have tea before I can even drink water to take a pill to open up my band. You're right Cathy.. if I can get some stuff down and keep it down especially liquids I should be okay. I will take a warm back if I don't get home too late, or will take one in the morning. I'm sure it's just going to take a bit of time.

Hi Anita

I am pretty much the same as Cathy says she is with food. Some days I have no problems with 1/2 cup at lunch and dinner others not as much. I always have a protein shake for breakfast although I am just lazy and probably could handle oatmeal on some days. Give it a chance. Hope you night party goes OK. Please post tomorrow and let us know.

I have such a "fickle" band that I never know what to expect. One day I can eat almost anything and the next I can't eat anything but liquids.....it is such a pain. It upsets my husband so bad if I PB...and it happens pretty often, but never on the same stuff. Silly, but it happens.

Hi Everybody... thanks for your posts and advice. I did pretty good at the party. Completed stayed away from all the appies/snacks and waited for dinner. Dinner on my plate consisted of .. one meatball.. a spoon of artichoke dip and one piece of raw cauliflower... and one tiny piece of ham. I couldn't finish it all. I actually felt weird sitting down with just this on my plate, when everybody else's plate was filled with salads, buns, ham, potatoes, veggies/dip. Plus they all had small plates with the appetizer's on them. I'm so happy I couldn't eat that!! I probably would have gained 3 lbs in the one sitting. Oh.. and did manage to eat a few jello shooters as well. I mean, I brought them, how could I not eat them! I passed on dessert, pumpkin pie/ice cream and nanaimo bars.. yum yum. But my band loved me for it!! It's been really nice to me today as well. Slow and easy will do it! I'm happy to know that this sounds normal after a 3rd fill, and that not really being able to eat anything solid until the afternoon seems to happening to some of you as well.