OMG! Gained weight pre-op! Surgery 11/20

I scheduled my surgery about 3 weeks ago. Today is exactly 21 days until my surgery. I chose the 3 weeks Atkins as my preop (I'm good at Atkins).....WELL, I decided to weight myself today. I GAINED 6LBS in the last 3 weeks. Now I have to lose 17 lbs before my surgery instead of 11.

How strict are they? I plan to stick to my preop diet, but I don't know if I will lose 17 lbs!

Ugghhh.....I can't wait to get banded and get on with life. This waiting is hard. I wish I could have done it within a few days of being scheduled. Anyone else have these frustrations while waiting?

Hi CindyLou,

Congrats on your decision to get banded you won't regret it.

Call your nutritionist (if you are having it at OCC, contact Dr. Miranda). Maybe you need to change to a different diet option? I have heard of some people not losing well on the Atkins preop, for the reason you just said. Most of the people I know had done choice #2 - which is the protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and a Lean Cuisine for dinner. I've opted to have salads and lunch meat for my dinners instead of the Lean Cuisine. I lost 12 lbs within 2 weeks.

Remember, when you have the band, you still need to do the work - it is not going to magically make you thin overnight. You will need to choose your foods wisely and be accountable for what you eat, which includes the quality of what you eat. You need to add exercises to your daily routine. Be health concious and find new avenues to reach your weight goals. Keep a daily journal so you knw what works and what doesn't.

Keep the focus and believe in yourself. Work at this to lose as much as you can. The more you lose, the less fatty tissues around your liver, the better your surgery recovery will be. You will do just fine...

Well, I probably didn't make much sense. I only gained between scheduling the surgery and now. Today is day 1 of my 21 day preop diet. I don't think I can do the liquids, so I chose the 3 week Atkins induction, which I am a pro at. I always lose around 10-12 lbs in 2 weeks, but always gain it back.

I'm just worried that I won't lose the 11 lbs they asked me to lose PLUS the other 6 that I gained before today.

I guess I'll just do my best and see what happens.

thanks for the support.

Do the weight loss plan that works for you. Don't worry about the numbers. Just stick true to a plan, no fudging. I know of several that havn't lost all the weight and they still get surgery. The point is to stick to this plan to reduce that fat around your liver which doesn't always show up in pounds either, it's sticking to a program for a few weeks that does this. Do your best and no worries!!

I'm an atkins pro myself.

I probably have one of the biggest appetites known to man pre-op. (I hold a pizza eating record set in 1992 that has yet to be broken).

take it from me, if you were to do the protein shake meals, and have a small carb-free or low carb meal in the evening, you'll lose the weight., I lost 24lbs pre-op. Gabriella is pretty bright and knows what she's talkin' about, (and kinda cute too haha)

If you're extra unsettled, you can always switch for the last week and do the 3 full shakes a day. Drink tons of water, and just do what you need to do.

Okay, calm down. I did the same thing. All you have to do is change your pre-op weight. I see that you were 232....and now 238 - is that right? If so all you do is lose 5% of your pre-op weight - that is your weight when you start the pre-op diet. 5% of 238 is 11.6 - so that is all you have to lose. Just make sure you change your pre-op weight on your paperwork. You'll be fine. I did the same thing and what I am telling you to do is what Dr. Miranda and Lori told me to do. Do not worry - you are going to be fine.

Agreed! Definitely change the number on your paperwork and let them know. I didn't and just told them when I arrived and Dr. Miranda said she had to go off the weight on the stuff. I went on a "last supper" run of all my favorite places before pre-op and gained 5 lbs! I still lost a good amount, but to be safe let them know.

And I know everyone says this, but I am the biggest baby and have the worst willpower in America and I did fine on the 2 shakes and a lean cuisine/ww meal for dinner. Like everyone said, it really isn't that bad and you lose about 1 lb a day.

Good luck!

Thanks, everyone. I will email them tomorrow at OCC and let them know my "new" pre-op wieght. I am confident I can lose 5% in the 3 weeks. I think I'll stick to Atkins as I know I have been successful in the past and its not very much torture.

CindyLou,

I see that you will be banded on the 20th. So will I. Maybe I will see you there.

I did the two shakes and lean cuisine. It really is not that difficult. I lost the 11 pounds I was told to lose quickly. I emailed Dr. Miranda the other day and she told me that was great and that I could now switch to 1 shake and 2 lean cuisines. I really like the Wal-Mart (Equate) brand of shake better than Slim-Fast. The chocolate is really good. I open the can, then put it in the freezer as soon as I get up in the a.m. and by the time I am ready to leave for work it is about half frozen. I can then sip on it all the way to work. I am a teacher and I don't always get my lunch break(planning period) due to parent conferences, meetings, etc. so the convenience of being able to drink my meal is really working for me. I will probably continue with the shake for lunch even after my surgery because I have to take my" lunch" with my students and I will not be able to concentrate on small bites, and thorough chewing while trying to oversee 25 middle school students. Not to mention the fact that we are only allotted about 20 minutes to eat.

I have only tried Atkins once, but I was not successful with it. I know a lot of people who have been. I only did it for about 3 weeks, but I followed it strictly and I gained weight. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough.

Good luck with your pre-op weight loss, and if the Atkins just isn't working try the shake option. It worked for me and the weight is staying off, even after an 8 day trip to DisneyWorld in October. I ate like a bear, but I walked my butt off.

Kimberly