Dr. Ortiz wasn't exaggerating.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTG Trav!!

So, what exactly are you doing? What kind of liquids are you having? By now, you are on the soup stage?

Keep up the good work Trav - you are doing AWESOME!!

(men, THEY GET ALL THE LUCK! lol)

Judy,

I have been following your posts and am new to this forum Is your goal 116 lbs.? Certainly sounds as though you are well informed.

Are you familiar with anyone having this procedure with a BMI of 29-30?

My spouse and I are both considering this procedure.

Merci beaucoup

Hi Isabella,

That number is how much weight I need to lose to get down to my first goal of 150 lbs. So far, I've lost 34 lbs and quite happy with it.

How much weight are you wanting to lose? I haven't looked at people's BMI, just the pounds loss, as you lose, of course, your BMI will be lowered too!

Hi Isabella,

That number is how much weight I need to lose to get down to my first goal of 150 lbs. So far, I've lost 34 lbs and quite happy with it.

How much weight are you wanting to lose? I haven't looked at people's BMI, just the pounds loss, as you lose, of course, your BMI will be lowered too!

I am at 158 and want to loose 40 lbs. My goal is to be 112-118lbs. I do not have to do a pre op diet. what are the tests prior to surgery? Still considering this.

Merci

hey Taz,

Just because you posted your entire menu and you asked what you could do different:

110 calories for a sugar free popsicle seems awfully high, mine are only 25 calories

Possibly, 795 calories a day is too low for you.

Not seeing a lot of protein in your menu, maybe add special k protein water or some other protein drink.

Finally, if you are doing the step thing, kick it up to at least 10k (that is about 5 miles)

Hope that helps.

Kim

Good to hear...I figured as much but it's nice to hear it from others too. Hopefully this week it will pick back up.

I'm taking the liquid Centrum and man that stuff is rank! I might have to get the chewables like Jude said. I think it is more the smell than anything. I take it then brush my teeth right away to get the taste out!! :blink:

I'm trying so hard not to count down the days until I can eat solids, but man it's hard! My brother grilled up some chicken last night and it smelled so good I thought I was going to have to leave the house! :angry: But if the weight starts going down again that will keep me motivated.

yeah, I think I just hit it, I've floated between 286-289 for the past couple days. I started losing very fast, but tapered off real quick after I started on soup.

I'm so looking forward to real food next week

But yeah, it's normal. When I did Atkins, I lost 25lbs first 3 days, then about 2 weeks it slowed way down, and then picked back up. I think it's our body's revolting and saying "NO, I'm not going to lose anymore"...but then metabolic respiration wins out.

Oh, and try yourself on some liquid vitamins or something. (they taste like crap...but easy to swallow)

Keep at it.

hey Taz,

Just because you posted your entire menu and you asked what you could do different:

110 calories for a sugar free popsicle seems awfully high, mine are only 25 calories

Possibly, 795 calories a day is too low for you.

Not seeing a lot of protein in your menu, maybe add special k protein water or some other protein drink.

Finally, if you are doing the step thing, kick it up to at least 10k (that is about 5 miles)

Hope that helps.

Kim

Hey Kim,

Thanks for the insight. The popsicle is indeed high. I read the wrong box, and was reading my daughters fudgicles (which I have NOT eatten). So I have even less calories in a day. I can't figure out why I am NOT tired with so little calories. How weird.

I expect to pick up a lot more protein starting this weekend when I am on solids. In my area I couldn't find the SpecialK protein water everyone was raving about, so had to focus on what I could do.

As for the stepping, I am moving up the ladder. Have you seen the "Taz Step Challenge"? I am pushing to get to 10,000 on a regular basis. Hitting about 5000 right now.

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

Taz

Hi Shelby...oh yes, the chewables are MUCH better...trust me!

Now when I was on the soup stage, I never really had a hard time until the last 2 days...knowing that I was to have to 'real' food within reaching point was very tempting...but I held ground and never cheated. I varied my items I can have...it helped me alot. I would have my yogurt first thing, then a shake, then I would have the soup...drank my choices of water, protein water, Special K20 water, and also Cyrstal Light varieties. Then come dinner time, I would have soup and then i treat myself with a fudgescile or popsicle. THE next day, I mixed it around...have the soup first thing, or have my dessert first before I had my soups, etc. Also, I didn't do alot of different kinds of soups either. I pretty much stuck with Cathy's simple Crm of Potato and Crm of Cheddar soups and mixed in some herbs and spices and then I did the same thing with the tomato soup.

I also took the Fiber Choice and Benefiber too...to keep it 'rotor rooter' clean! LOL

bear in mind, that if you have a high protein diet, protein is very hard on your kidneys. You don't want to develop ketoacidosis. (ketones are really harsh chemicals)...so be absolutely sure you drink a good amount of water. When I went to Burning Man, they had a newspaper called "Piss Clear" (camping in a 120º desert you really need to keep hydrated.)...so bearing that in mind, check your urine, and if it's not clear, drink more water...otherwise you're beating the hell out of your kidneys.

Hi Jude! I've been trying to mix it up as much as I can. Problem lately is been the weather is turning cold here so i'm struggling with the K2O water. The protein shakes are fine, but i'm not a big sweets person so that and the yogurt gets old really fast. That is the problem with the kellogs water too. That is where my issue lies. I haven't had too much trouble with the soups, but I learned I REALLY don't like cream of broccoli soup! :) I've eaten tomato soup at least once a day since going on phase 1. I'm one of those people that can eat the same thing over and over and not have an issue as long as I like it.

I've been reading stuff and it does sound like i'm in keitosis (sp?). I have rank breath and dry mouth. I probably go through 5 bottles of water at work each day and then I sip away at home too. So i'm trying to get in as much as I can. Water is the one thing that has never been an issue for me - I LOVE it! So far it's been clear so I think i'm OK. My issue lies (and i'm really sorry this is a TMI!!) is that I haven't gone #2 pretty much since I had surgery. I don't feel constipated, but that doesn't mean anything.

My new issue is I have caught a NASTY cold! My head is all stopped up and I have a fever. We can take ibuprofen right? I am freezing but my face is on fire so i'm sure I have a fever. Doesn't help I got about 2 hours sleep last night b/c I had a gas bubble in my shoulder. Took gas X, walked everything and I just about cried it hurt so bad! It lasted until about 10am today. OK, sorry, i'm being a big baby but i can't win for losing today! :angry:

OK, i'll quit whining now! :rolleyes:

bear in mind, that if you have a high protein diet, protein is very hard on your kidneys. You don't want to develop ketoacidosis. (ketones are really harsh chemicals)...so be absolutely sure you drink a good amount of water. When I went to Burning Man, they had a newspaper called "Piss Clear" (camping in a 120º desert you really need to keep hydrated.)...so bearing that in mind, check your urine, and if it's not clear, drink more water...otherwise you're beating the hell out of your kidneys.

cheese broccoli is good, you can blend up the chunks with a hand blender.

mushroom tastes like a canned mushroom. (avoid it, imo)

progresso Basil Tomato is good, is close to marinara...

trying a couple others over the next few days.

5 more days till I can have some REAL FOOD

...but if you were a guy, you wouldn't get attention from the other guys...unless you lived in the right neighborhoods. ;-)

Good thing I've always been an equal opportunity kinda thinker then, eh?! <NUDGE> I think I just heard my hubby's jaw fall. Better go make sure he's okay! hehehehe

Jann

cheese broccoli is good, you can blend up the chunks with a hand blender.

mushroom tastes like a canned mushroom. (avoid it, imo)

progresso Basil Tomato is good, is close to marinara...

trying a couple others over the next few days.

5 more days till I can have some REAL FOOD

I mixed a can of Campbell's Cheese Soup with a can of Creme of Celery Soup (and a can of milk), strained and enjoyed with my daughter. it kind of tasted like Celery and Cheesewiz.

Taz

Have to give 2 thumbs up on the Progresso tomato soups. Basil tomato, and Hearty Tomato. They don't taste like Campell's..(campells taste like crap, imo)

To jazz is up a little...about a 1/4 each of onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano.

Tastes pretty great.

Have to give 2 thumbs up on the Progresso tomato soups. Basil tomato, and Hearty Tomato. They don't taste like Campell's..(campells taste like crap, imo)

To jazz is up a little...about a 1/4 each of onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano.

Tastes pretty great.

That's interesting. And I find most non-campells soup watery or salty. Campbells has these "Harvest" and "Gardennay" soup boxes which are to die for. Lots of different intense flavours. Last night I had the "Red Pepper Black Bean" soup. I really liked it.

Going to have to try Progresso though. I had that years ago and found it to be very hearty. Only thing is, I will have to wait until I get past the 21 days. Straining something like that probably loses most of its flavour.

Taz

P.S. If you want to check the Gardennay line of soups, check out http://campbellsoup.ca/en/products/family.asp?fam=9.

I've also found that you can take Campbell's version of Basil Tomato and dust the top of the soup with onion, garlic, and oregano powder (probably could ues oregano flakes, but that's all I had atm)...then stir it all up and cook it, and it's quite good as well.

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 15 after the surgery and very frustrated. The first week was great and I lost 10 lbs. On the second week I gained 0.2 lbs.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

I haven't started my protein shakes yet. I will start today.

Thank you.

Don't even worry that is normal. My first week I dropped a lot and then 2nd week nothing. Your body gets freaked out and holds on to everything I think. Doing the same to me right now on solids, so i'm not freaking. I know it will start to even out. Just give it time and stick to the plan - you are doing it right! You are putting your body into shock of sorts and it needs time to deal.

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 15 after the surgery and very frustrated. The first week was great and I lost 10 lbs. On the second week I gained 0.2 lbs.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

I haven't started my protein shakes yet. I will start today.

Thank you.

It's been 10 days post op, and I'm already down almost 37lbs. He was saying 50, and at this rate, I may surpass that.

Hey Trav

I have been reading some of your post and they are great. I was just wondering what you ate when you where able to chew..lol? I am on day 6 post op and doing great. I have no food cravings and I am not hungry. Im sure that is going to change. Just wanted to check in and see how it is going with you.

Carrie

Hey Trav

I have been reading some of your post and they are great. I was just wondering what you ate when you where able to chew..lol? I am on day 6 post op and doing great. I have no food cravings and I am not hungry. Im sure that is going to change. Just wanted to check in and see how it is going with you.

Carrie

I had a couple little mishaps. I ate first thing when I woke up...(wait till you're completely awake), I accidentally tried to swallow something that was slightly too big, it passed. Also, never eat while you're distracted, you'll run the risk of falling back on your "habits" and swallow something too big. Luckily it was softer food, so it passed just fine...but it feels like hell when it happens.

I've been busy with things so I haven't been on much...

At first I wasn't able to chew, because my wisdom tooth's roots were growing, and caused one of them to get out of alignment from not chewing. I had it pulled, because there was some decay below the gumline, and it would've abscessed if I didn't have it dealt with...I'm still only chewing on one side of my mouth...but I did discover a couple strategies to eating that may help

1. If you accidentally take too big of a bite, hold the excess in your cheek, and just chew bits of it off in your mouth, rather than spit it out. Then CAREFULLY swallow a small bit at a time. Don't try to FORCE swallowing, just a little bit and you'll be okay

2. Sandwiches and pizza are the devil. Cut off a little piece at a time and chew that. Your muscle memory remembers taking off a big bite, and that will be TOO big. Until you learn and train your body how to eat again, you'll need to do it in baby steps.

3. Frozen meals are a godsend, because it trains your brain to the fact "This is all you're supposed to eat". It's very easy to take a nibble off that extra piece of pizza. Food availability is something you have to be very careful of.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
okay - I just read this post..way to go...

but I have to say OUCH - you made me laugh when you said the chew and spit thing because I admit I have done it twice due to xmas dinner...well once with a bite of ham and the next morning with a bite of sausage...never new I could get satisfaction like that from doing it ha ha - not making a habbit of it but a persons gotta do what a persons gotta do!

I'm just now getting to go through all of the posts...I sometimes have a difficult time navigating this site.

This one is awesome! I just hope I can do nearly as well as you all!

I didn't know you could chew and spit something out! Do you still retain some of the calories from that? I never thought of doing that...maybe I shouldn't even think about doing it! Once I taste it, I may not be able to hold myself back!