Just Overall Wierdness

OK, since i've been banded i've had all kinds of wierdness and I wanted to see if anyone else has too.

First, I have had the worst case of dry mouth! I always am trying to drink lots of water, but it just never seems to go away!

Next, I keep feeling like I have a gas bubble in my chest and think I might burp or something and then I do this weird like one really hard hiccup and it is gone. Which hurts like hell when it happens by the way! I've never been able to burp, so I don't know how to make that go away. Happens once about every maybe 30 minutes.

And finally (yes, i'm full of wierdness now) when I slouch or lean over I get this pressure where I think my port is. It's not a sharp pain or anything, just pressure. Does this go away once i'm healed up or will that always happen?

There's been more, but some is a little TMI so I won't go there! :mellow:

Thanks and have a Happy Halloween!!!

OK, since i've been banded i've had all kinds of wierdness and I wanted to see if anyone else has too.

First, I have had the worst case of dry mouth! I always am trying to drink lots of water, but it just never seems to go away!

Next, I keep feeling like I have a gas bubble in my chest and think I might burp or something and then I do this weird like one really hard hiccup and it is gone. Which hurts like hell when it happens by the way! I've never been able to burp, so I don't know how to make that go away. Happens once about every maybe 30 minutes.

And finally (yes, i'm full of wierdness now) when I slouch or lean over I get this pressure where I think my port is. It's not a sharp pain or anything, just pressure. Does this go away once i'm healed up or will that always happen?

I had the Hiccup problem.....exact same thing. It hurt like crap! But, it went away.

Thanks so much that makes me feel better that it isn't just me!! :mellow: This dry mouth is really killing me. I feel like I drank like 10 vodka sours last night!! I am drinking a huge glass of water right now and it is still there. So weird!! it is so funny the weird things our body does.

Thanks so much that makes me feel better that it isn't just me!! :mellow: This dry mouth is really killing me. I feel like I drank like 10 vodka sours last night!! I am drinking a huge glass of water right now and it is still there. So weird!! it is so funny the weird things our body does.

NO MORE VODKA....(at least till you get on full food.)...yeah technically you "can" drink....but in all honesty, doesn't it make sense to let your body heal completely. Look at it this way, the money you spent on your band, is worth not drinking for 3 weeks, what would happen if you drank and threw up a lot before you were completely healed. You may not have any ill-effects now, but 2-4 years down the road, do you really want your band to slip?

Don't risk it. Wait till you're on food...and then take it easy

NO MORE VODKA....(at least till you get on full food.)...yeah technically you "can" drink....but in all honesty, doesn't it make sense to let your body heal completely. Look at it this way, the money you spent on your band, is worth not drinking for 3 weeks, what would happen if you drank and threw up a lot before you were completely healed. You may not have any ill-effects now, but 2-4 years down the road, do you really want your band to slip?

Don't risk it. Wait till you're on food...and then take it easy

She didn't actually drink the vodka sours silly....she was using it as an example to explain how dry her mouth feels!

Just nipping this one in the bud before everyone starts giving her a hard time for drinking when she didn't!

Denise

Thanks Denise!!! Oh no...no drinking here! Just had one of my protein shakes guess I can pretend it is a Bailey's! :D

I have similar feelings. With the dry mouth also comes bad breath. My wife is always pointing that part out. Not sure if its the ketosis process or not, but I am always having to drink and brush my teeth (3 times a day right now).

I do get gas bubbles in my chest, but it seems to be going away. I notice the more I move, the better it gets.

As for pressure near the port, I DEFINITELY have that. Actually some days I feel sharp pains around there if I bend or stretch the wrong way. I am hoping its just the healing process. Remember, pain like this lets you know you're alive... and healing. I notice its much less than it used to be. Hopefully in the coming weeks it will go away.

Taz

Hi I was banded the same day as you. I know just what you are go through. My gas pain is in my left shoulder and some times it is so bad you could cut my shoulder off and I wouldn’t care. As for the port site, mine is still really sore. But can’t complain because I’m down 8 lbs sense surgery! Take care

Hi there!!!!! Hope you are surviving the post op OK. I've lost about the same you have and it sure feels great! I know totally what you are saying about shoulder pain. I didn't get it until this last week, but I was in a meeting and I kept trying to move my arm around hoping it would help - I got a couple weird looks on that one! :mellow:

Hi I was banded the same day as you. I know just what you are go through. My gas pain is in my left shoulder and some times it is so bad you could cut my shoulder off and I wouldn’t care. As for the port site, mine is still really sore. But can’t complain because I’m down 8 lbs sense surgery! Take care

Just wondering if you have any suggestions on things I can eat. I have been eating the same things for 3 days and its getting boring. What have you been eating.

I was banded on 10/23 at the occ.

Hi Joy,

Ok..then you were on clear liquids from 10/23 to 10/29 (yes, you count the day of your surgery). Now you are on creamy soups from 10/30 to Nov 12 and day 22 you are on solids! Cool! Of you browse thru the Recipe section, you can see the Hearty Creamy soup recipes people have posted. Try them. Also, you do have a list of other things to eat from Dr. Miranda, right? What are you having so far?

Same here on the breath! It is driving me nuts! What is that about! I bought a bag of mints at the grocery store last night b/c i've blown through all the ones I had in my purse. Does that go away hopefully?

I have similar feelings. With the dry mouth also comes bad breath. My wife is always pointing that part out. Not sure if its the ketosis process or not, but I am always having to drink and brush my teeth (3 times a day right now).

I do get gas bubbles in my chest, but it seems to be going away. I notice the more I move, the better it gets.

As for pressure near the port, I DEFINITELY have that. Actually some days I feel sharp pains around there if I bend or stretch the wrong way. I am hoping its just the healing process. Remember, pain like this lets you know you're alive... and healing. I notice its much less than it used to be. Hopefully in the coming weeks it will go away.

Taz

Does that go away hopefully?

No idea. I know when I was on Atkins I had the same problem, and it was due to the ketosis process. I would assume once I am on solids again I will have more carbs and the process won't be as intense. But I simply don't know. I'll tell ya next week once I am eating solids.

Teeth have never been whiter though. ;-) So brushing some many times a day isn't all that bad.

Taz

Let me know if your breath situation changes. I sure hope so - i'm single and I don't need that against me! :lol:

Some good news though, I just realized today that I am halfway through my post-op diet! I am on day 11...only 10 more to go! I was getting a little crabby and thinking it would never end, but that made me hopeful for an end! I treated myself to a bit of ice cream today to celebrate. Not going to make it a regular thing, but you need to splurge a little bit every now and again.

The dry mouth is the ketosis and yes, bad breath does come along with it. People often move out of my way. The thing is, DRY MOUTH IS DANGEROUS FOR YOUR TEETH. You do need to sip water often. Using Oasis toothpaste and other dry mouth products is important and help keep your mouth moist. Saliva washes bacteria away from the teeth and when you use mints, etc. you increase your risks for cavities as the saliva isn't there. You are also at risk for periodontal disease. Good oral hygiene is imperative. If you feel your teeth are moving, get to your dentist right away.

Symptoms may include the following:

occasional redness or bleeding of gums while brushing teeth, using dental floss or biting into hard food (e.g. apples)

gum swellings that recurs

halitosis, or bad breath, and a persistent metallic taste in the mouth

gingival recession, resulting in apparent lengthening of teeth.

deep pockets between the teeth and the gums

loose teeth, in the later stages

Patients should realize that the gingival inflammation and bone destruction are largely painless. Hence, people may wrongly assume that painless bleeding after teeth cleaning is insignificant, although this may be a symptom of progressing periodontitis in that patient.

Copy and past this address into your browser for more information:

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/oasis/24842/

Shelby

that is so funny that you treated yourself to ice cream because I did the same thing! I’m so glad we are half way through the creamy soup stage. And I also hear you on the bad breath. I feel bad for my husband but I keep telling him in the long run he’ll have a skinny and healthy wife so he can’t complain. I just keep popping mints and brushing my teeth. I just wanted to let you know that I found something great to add to your diet, you might already have it but cream of wheat or malt-o-meal is awesome I just make it really runny. It’s a nice change when your are sick of soup.