Taz's Step Challenge

Yes...Lisa is my twin!!! I told her I am in on the challenge and she said she would join too!! This is great and I know that the weight is going to probably disappear once we up the physical activity!!

I am sooo glad to be part of such an amazing inspiring group!! Good luck tomorrow and I'm sure you'll do more than you did today!! :D

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the same challenge going on a couple of months back. There wasn't too much interest in it then either. I mean, a lot of people started with it but then didn't follow up or continue. At the time, I was in a walking contest at work and was walking in excess of 25,000 steps a day. That may have scared some people off, I don't know. But, I did make it clear I was in a contest and was deliberately walking as much as I could to win. A few other people were involved but not too many.

That being said, you should wear the pedometer the entire day, from the moment you get up until the moment you go to bed. 10,000 a day is the minimum that every one should be walking. That is not the amount for weight loss, it is the amount for good heart function. Anything over that is for weight loss. It may be hard to get up to 10,000 a day for sedentary people, but you need to get up to that amount as soon as possible to reap the benefits. But, as long as you wear the pedometer every waking minute, 10,000 isn't as hard as it sounds. Don't get discouraged, just get moving!!

If I can find a decent pedometer, I'll join up again too. I always enjoy a good challenge. Just need to get to store and find one. All my old ones broke.

Thanks for the insight! When you already in a job where you move a lot, blowing past 10,000 steps isn't difficult. For many of us who sit in front of a computer all day... it's a bit more difficult.

The great thing is a pedometer helps to set, achieve and exceed goals. I am happy to hear you will be joining us. Feel free to post everytime you hit 10,000 steps. Might get some of us to work harder!!! :-)

Taz

Taz, I have used a pedometer for a few months since I got banded. It truly upped my motivation to get walking more. As a nurse my first day at work I logged in over 10,000 step in one shift!!! I'll have to up my expectations since I do walk so much at work, thankfully. I am actually taking a medical leave now so I will have to force myself to get out and do this. Not just getting it done easily at work but I will have to work at it. Great idea, this is what a support forum is all about!!!

Welcome to the challenge. 10,000 steps in a shift is impressive. Looking forward to hearing how you carry that on with your medical leave.

Taz

I haven't been banded yet... I'm scheduled with the OCC for 12.04.08. But, I am working with Dr. Miranda on getting my weight down before my surgery... so, if it is okay that I haven't been banded yet I would love to join in. I'll have to pick up a pedometer this week.

Kristy

You are MORE than welcome to join the challenge. With any luck it will help you in your pre-op diet! Let us know when you hit your first 10,000 step day!!

Taz

Hi Taz,

This is Coreen from Florida (banded with you). I will be going out to get a pedometer asap! I walk around the baseball field during my boy's practices. I would be curious as to how many steps I am taking. Email me and let me know how you have been doing. swalesfcc@comcast.net

Hey Coreen,

Welcome to the challenge!!! I will follow up shortly in an email to you. But I wanted to let you know I am happy to see you on the forum! Great bunch of people here... with many different experiences to learn from. You are gonna love it here.

Let us know when you hit your first 10,000 day!

Taz

OK I got my pedometer tonight! had to go to two different places and unfortunately they only had two options but I think the one I got will be good. I'll get it out of the box and check it out tonight. I'll start the challenge tomorrow! I'll be interested to see how many steps I normally take in a day.

I'm excited!!!

I'm excited for you! Way to go on getting the pedometer. Let us know how your first day is. Remember to put it on as soon as you get up, and track every step that you do!

Taz

GREAT Shelby!

I was TOTALLY surprised, again, with close to 2400 steps I did today. I walked down by the bay front at work and then walked around the little block around my home neighborhood area. I think I can actually see how I could possibly reach a 5000 step in one day by putting out more effort. Interesting enough also, I found that it really wasn't all that boring. As I started walking right after work and had things on my mind to process through. So it was cool...got to get my iPod set up soon! YIPPEE!!

Gotta love it! Numbers don't lie. And can be a real motivator! you hit 2400. Now you KNOW you can hit 3000. Its nothing. So tomorrow go for 3000. Tell us how you feel.

This was exactly how I did it. Little by little each day. Now I won't settle for anything less than 5000 a day... and am working towards my 10,000 a day goal!

Rock on. Turn that iPod up loud and walk proud!

Taz

Count me in your challenge!! I totally need to get out there and move because I sit behind a desk all day!! I am off to buy a pedometer tomorrow!! I'll keep you posted on my progress!! GREAT IDEA!!!!!! :lol:

Welcome to the challenge Lori!

Taz

Ok, got my pedometer on. Remember folks, put it on your pajamas as soon as your alarm goes off. I am up to 2621 already today. Incidently Taz, I do sit at a computer all day too. But, what I do when I go to work is park as far away as possible. When I go shopping, I park at the far end of the parking lot. I take the long way around wherever I go. At lunch, I go outside the office and walk around the building. I take a long walk after work too. Remember, don't take the pedometer off at all until you are ready to slip into bed at night. At each break, get up and walk around. And it doesn't hurt to have a spastic bladder and you have to go to the bathroom 8 times a day at work. Lots of little tricks to learn to get those steps adding up!

Good luck everyone and get moving!!

Ok, got my pedometer on. Remember folks, put it on your pajamas as soon as your alarm goes off. I am up to 2621 already today. Incidently Taz, I do sit at a computer all day too. But, what I do when I go to work is park as far away as possible. When I go shopping, I park at the far end of the parking lot. I take the long way around wherever I go. At lunch, I go outside the office and walk around the building. I take a long walk after work too. Remember, don't take the pedometer off at all until you are ready to slip into bed at night. At each break, get up and walk around. And it doesn't hurt to have a spastic bladder and you have to go to the bathroom 8 times a day at work. Lots of little tricks to learn to get those steps adding up!

Good luck everyone and get moving!!

It's funny. As an executive, I have executive privileges that are not weight-loss friendly. My assigned parking spot is right by the door. The specialty coffee we have is way too calorie dense (I just drink Earl gray tea instead now) and the lunches... well lets just say I have changed that policy at work on that one :-)

With the pedometer counting away, I am making concious decisions to get more steps. Like you, I park farther away at the store. I give myself little challenges like can I get to the next "1000" mark by walking around the block an extra time. In the mornings, as I get to work, I walk down the road to look at the surroundings. Living in British Columbia, I can see awesome views all around me of mountains, a lake, a river and amazing forest. Yesterday I decided to walk down this path where these maple trees draped over the path, shedding crimson and gold leaves as I walked down it. It was awesome. Without even realizing it, I picked up another 1500 steps. And had a very interesting experience that tingled many different sensations.

I always hated walking. But now its not about that. It's about the experiences.... driven by wanting to see my little pedometer counter to go up, up, up!

Hav a great day. This post has driven me to head to work early and walk down that path again!

Taz

It's funny. As an executive, I have executive privileges that are not weight-loss friendly. My assigned parking spot is right by the door. The specialty coffee we have is way too calorie dense (I just drink Earl gray tea instead now) and the lunches... well lets just say I have changed that policy at work on that one :-)

With the pedometer counting away, I am making concious decisions to get more steps. Like you, I park farther away at the store. I give myself little challenges like can I get to the next "1000" mark by walking around the block an extra time. In the mornings, as I get to work, I walk down the road to look at the surroundings. Living in British Columbia, I can see awesome views all around me of mountains, a lake, a river and amazing forest. Yesterday I decided to walk down this path where these maple trees draped over the path, shedding crimson and gold leaves as I walked down it. It was awesome. Without even realizing it, I picked up another 1500 steps. And had a very interesting experience that tingled many different sensations.

I always hated walking. But now its not about that. It's about the experiences.... driven by wanting to see my little pedometer counter to go up, up, up!

Hav a great day. This post has driven me to head to work early and walk down that path again!

Taz

YEAH good for you, get going!! And remember, just because you have a spot close to the building doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. Or, unless I am wrong and you do HAVE to use it, do so! But, get out of the car and walk around the perimter of the parking lot before going in.

I too, enjoy walking now. Was afraid to go out and do it by myself in the beginning but now, I actually prefer going by myself. It is my wind-down time to just relax with my own thoughts and enjoy the scenery. As an added plus, I have gotten to meet and make friends with all the doggies in the neighborhood and it is such a joy to me to walk down the street and have a barrage of doggies running to greet me, their new friend who slobers all over them!!

So, first snaffoo with my pedometer. So I followed the instructions and set it, but I must have set it wrong. It says at midnight it resets, but mine reset at noon! ARGH! That is OK, it tracks your steps for a week, so I can look at "yesterday" AKA before noon today and figure it out. I'll play with it tonight and figure out how to reset it. But I have it on!!

I'm excited for you! Way to go on getting the pedometer. Let us know how your first day is. Remember to put it on as soon as you get up, and track every step that you do!

Taz

Hi there! I rode with you all back in the van to the airport to go home. Glad you are joining the challenge!! =D>

Count me in your challenge!! I totally need to get out there and move because I sit behind a desk all day!! I am off to buy a pedometer tomorrow!! I'll keep you posted on my progress!! GREAT IDEA!!!!!! :lol:

So, first snaffoo with my pedometer. So I followed the instructions and set it, but I must have set it wrong. It says at midnight it resets, but mine reset at noon! ARGH! That is OK, it tracks your steps for a week, so I can look at "yesterday" AKA before noon today and figure it out. I'll play with it tonight and figure out how to reset it. But I have it on!!

HAHAHA. Oh thats funny. Good thing is, you haven't lost the steps. Just kinda moved on ya. You'll get it worked out.

Taz

On Sunday I walked the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer walk and racked up 17,852 steps for the day. Today I'm already at 5004. I love my pedometer, it makes you be more active. =D>

Sure does. And WAY TO GO on the Breast Cancer walk. That is totally awesome!

Taz

Er...Mona...can I borrow some of your steps please - LOL!! That is awesome - you go girl!!!

HELL NO, I worked too hard for those suckers!! LOL!!!

See, I hurt my leg twice in the past few months. Once I fell and got cellulitis and a blood clot. Then I tore the calf muscle in the other leg (Then I got attacked by a cat - I am a walking catastrophe!) so today was actually the very first day I started walking again. I was told not to for 5 -8 weeks after my muscle tear and it is about 6 or 7 so I needed to get out there. It's been so long since I could do any real walking and I am a huge walking fan so I have missed it dearly!

HELL NO, I worked too hard for those suckers!! LOL!!!

See, I hurt my leg twice in the past few months. Once I fell and got cellulitis and a blood clot. Then I tore the calf muscle in the other leg (Then I got attacked by a cat - I am a walking catastrophe!) so today was actually the very first day I started walking again. I was told not to for 5 -8 weeks after my muscle tear and it is about 6 or 7 so I needed to get out there. It's been so long since I could do any real walking and I am a huge walking fan so I have missed it dearly!

Well, don't let anyone tell you differently... you can walk now. And are doing awesome. Keep it up!

Taz

Taz...I know you said to come on back if you hit 5000 or 10,000...which I hadn't done just yet. But this is my small NSV and I had reached 3200 today! I kept wanting to beat my 2400 yesterday...and I did it! Trust me, I'm not a walker at all and I actually didn't have my iPod because I was listening to you and Mona talking about the scenery and such. I thought I turned my thoughts towards that and discovered I was looking at people homes and noticing the architech (sp?) and was in awe that I really took the time to notice! The way the breeze were blowing through the trees...it was an awesome moment for me and I finally understood what you all were talking about.

So, tomorrow is another goal setting day for me. I will be gone Thursday thru Monday, going to the rodeo campout to El Centro. They have a walk path around the campground and going to give it some seriousness in going at least twice a day, walking the whole park. Let see what happens.

Thank you for letting me share this with you...