Taz's Step Challenge

Taz...I know you said to come on back if you hit 5000 or 10,000...which I hadn't done just yet. But this is my small NSV and I had reached 3200 today! I kept wanting to beat my 2400 yesterday...and I did it! Trust me, I'm not a walker at all and I actually didn't have my iPod because I was listening to you and Mona talking about the scenery and such. I thought I turned my thoughts towards that and discovered I was looking at people homes and noticing the architech (sp?) and was in awe that I really took the time to notice! The way the breeze were blowing through the trees...it was an awesome moment for me and I finally understood what you all were talking about.

So, tomorrow is another goal setting day for me. I will be gone Thursday thru Monday, going to the rodeo campout to El Centro. They have a walk path around the campground and going to give it some seriousness in going at least twice a day, walking the whole park. Let see what happens.

Thank you for letting me share this with you...

That is so awesome Jazzy. I am so happy to see you increase your steps. And even more pleased to see you take notice of your surroundings and "enjoy it". Walking doesn't have to be a chore.

This afternoon I took a bit of time, loaded up so Chris Botti (my favorite smooth jazz player), turned it down low and walked by the train tracks just after a rain. The smells from the fallen leaves, combined with that "fresh rain smell" was just doing numbers in my head, flashbacking to my youth. It's amazing what your senses will do for you if you just let them.

And... it pushed me over the 5000 steps before I knew it.

Reaching 3200 is great news. Congratulations. Looking forward to your update when you return from your trip. Who knows... maybe you will come back with a 5000 day!! Heck.. maybe even a 10,000 day!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taz...I know you said to come on back if you hit 5000 or 10,000...which I hadn't done just yet. But this is my small NSV and I had reached 3200 today! I kept wanting to beat my 2400 yesterday...and I did it! Trust me, I'm not a walker at all and I actually didn't have my iPod because I was listening to you and Mona talking about the scenery and such. I thought I turned my thoughts towards that and discovered I was looking at people homes and noticing the architech (sp?) and was in awe that I really took the time to notice! The way the breeze were blowing through the trees...it was an awesome moment for me and I finally understood what you all were talking about.

So, tomorrow is another goal setting day for me. I will be gone Thursday thru Monday, going to the rodeo campout to El Centro. They have a walk path around the campground and going to give it some seriousness in going at least twice a day, walking the whole park. Let see what happens.

YEAH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you for beating your goal! Now just make sure to do a little more each day! Even if it means running up and down the stairs in your house a few times to add those suckers up! YOU CAN DO IT!

And, as a plus, in a few weeks after you have gotten used to walking more, you will be amazed at how great you feel! Sometimes, I simply can't wait to get out there and do it! It's like my legs NEED it. Plus, those doggie buddies of mine would miss me too much, LOL!!

AWESOME JOB!!!! Good for you, Jude!

Jann

Jann! Glad to see you are back! We totally miss you!

DANG girl! 13K in one hour! VERY INSPIRING! WTG!

Can you play? What kind of question is that? Hey, whatever it takes for you to get in your steps, come on board!!!

Thanks Jude, I missed ya too! Look at you go with the WL! You are speeding to halfway there, Lady!

Yup, the Leslie Sansone vids are hardcore (for me) when you get to the higher miles. I did them a couple of years ago and really enjoyed them. Then I completely messed up my back (unrelated to the videos) and quit. When I lost weight this time I dusted them off and thought, 'Oh, here I go, starting at one mile and working my way back to the fives'. The body does remember. Just look at the miles I've logged since I started October 18th, already 55 miles without leaving my living room!

I normally do the Five Mile challenge and if there's energy left I've been known to do another easier mile or two. I love them! Leslie, in my opinion, talks WAY too much but I just tune her out once I get the program down. I love the series because my time tends to be premium and I can do them at home. This morning I did my Four Mile Challenge while I watched it snow outside! hehe I would also add that since October 18th I'm down one and one half inches in my hips!

Hugs Bud!

Jann

OH Way to go Jann! That is GREAT!!! You will soon reach your WL goal soon enough!

I was never a walker, too boring, until yesterday. I finally focused on my surroundings and found a new interest. But I really prefer to do my exercises inhouse. I will continue to walk outdoors as I LOVE the outdoors. So, this whole walking thing is truly a HUGE challenge for me.

I need to investigate on Leslie Sansone videos. And do you just do 'stationary' walks on the floor watching her video on TV? I am truly interesting...

OH Way to go Jann! That is GREAT!!! You will soon reach your WL goal soon enough!

I was never a walker, too boring, until yesterday. I finally focused on my surroundings and found a new interest. But I really prefer to do my exercises inhouse. I will continue to walk outdoors as I LOVE the outdoors. So, this whole walking thing is truly a HUGE challenge for me.

I need to investigate on Leslie Sansone videos. And do you just do 'stationary' walks on the floor watching her video on TV? I am truly interesting...

Jude and Kitty,

http://www.lesliesansone.com/walk/ Navigate to where it says WALK NOW and watch that video. It's a one mile starter walk. If you go to Leslie's store you can see other videos to give you an idea. It's always the same four basic walk steps regardless what level you are and they are SO easy to master. As you progress the walks become faster and harder. The five mile challenge averages one mile in 12 minutes! She also adds light weight training! I don't do dance routines well as I'm not that coordinated and this works well for me.

I sent my little sister (14 years younger than me) a starter pack (1 mile, 2 mile and 3 mile walks) and she started this week. (You can buy them here at Walmart) My sister-in-law is also starting this week. (I got her the same pack) She was blown away at the difference between when I saw her in September and this past weekend when we got together. My mom-in-law is 75 and she's doing them too! WALK POWER WALK! hehe

Jann

Oh wow Jann! Awesome...I just viewed the WALK NOW video and it's great! I can do this!!!!! YES! hehehehe...this is going to be fun! I am going to WalMart tonight and take it with me when I go to the rodeo campout starting tomorrow! I will see you all next week Tuesday and let you know how I've done!!!

Oh wow Jann! Awesome...I just viewed the WALK NOW video and it's great! I can do this!!!!! YES! hehehehe...this is going to be fun! I am going to WalMart tonight and take it with me when I go to the rodeo campout starting tomorrow! I will see you all next week Tuesday and let you know how I've done!!!

Oh, that's awesome, Jude! YAY!!!!!!!!!! Let me know how it goes. It's an awesome builder program for those of us who were pretty sedentary back in the day, eh?! hehe Have fun at the rodeo campout. See ya Tuesday.

Jann

Well Taz, this challenge has sure motivated me. Last night before bed I was at 9865 so I walked around the house until I met 10,000-when I went to bed I was at 10008.

My legs are sore today but it's so totally worth it !!!!

AWESOME! I am so happy for you. This is why I like the pedometer. You see how close you are to a goal.. and then you strive to beat it!!

Way to go!

Taz

I do my walk DVDs pretty much every day. I get between 9K and 13K in about an hour's effort not including walking around normally. Can I play too?

Jann

Of course you can! Get yourself a pedometer and let us know how you do. 13K is impressive. I am curious how many steps that would end up being.

Taz

So, whats everyone up to so far today? I'm at 8890 so far but got lots of time left!

I've been swamped in meetings all day, and plan to be at the office till 9pm. Currently only at 5397. Plan to go for a long walk late tonight when I get home.

Taz

Of course you can! Get yourself a pedometer and let us know how you do. 13K is impressive. I am curious how many steps that would end up being.

Taz

Oh, sorry for the confusion, Taz. My calculations were based on miles not kilometers and those were step approximations depending on how many miles I do on a given day in my workout.

1 mile = 1.609 344 kilometer

5 miles = 8.04672 kilometers

10,000 steps is approximately 8 kilometers or five miles. However these figures will vary according to stride length and walking speed.

I do have two pedometers. I always buy them in twos because I ALWAYS lose the little blighters. hehe.

Jann

Taz

1 mile equals approximately 2000 steps. So, if you go 10,000 in one day, thats 5 miles. When you see K behind a number, it is just the abbreviation for thousand.

So, I ended up with 12765 for the day. Less than Tuesday, but I intend to do more today!

My pedometer has a "leash" on it. Paid a little more for it at Sports Authority but after losing so many because they just fall off so easily it was well worth it! I have had it for over 3 years and yes I do get more than 10k steps in almost every day. I average about 14k Monday - Friday and then about 8k on weekends.

I love my band and my pedometer!!

My pedometer has a "leash" on it. Paid a little more for it at Sports Authority but after losing so many because they just fall off so easily it was well worth it! I have had it for over 3 years and yes I do get more than 10k steps in almost every day. I average about 14k Monday - Friday and then about 8k on weekends.

I love my band and my pedometer!!

Nice stepping there, Kimmy! Which brand of pedo do you use? I haven't seen any with a leash and I've gone through a few of them in my day.

Take care!

Jann

Oh, sorry for the confusion, Taz. My calculations were based on miles not kilometers and those were step approximations depending on how many miles I do on a given day in my workout.

1 mile = 1.609 344 kilometer

5 miles = 8.04672 kilometers

10,000 steps is approximately 8 kilometers or five miles. However these figures will vary according to stride length and walking speed.

I do have two pedometers. I always buy them in twos because I ALWAYS lose the little blighters. hehe.

Jann

LOL.

Ok, that makes a difference. When someone tells me they walked 13K... I am thinking 8 miles. I couldn't figure how the hell you did 8 miles in an hour WALKING. That would be an amazing RUN!.

I haven't lost my pedometer yet. Its so small and clips perfectly on my belt. It has a nice spring clip so its fastened pretty tight. So I haven't had any concerns. (*knock on wood*)

Taz

1 mile equals approximately 2000 steps. So, if you go 10,000 in one day, thats 5 miles. When you see K behind a number, it is just the abbreviation for thousand.

So, I ended up with 12765 for the day. Less than Tuesday, but I intend to do more today!

Way to go Ramona! 12K is nothing to laugh at. Good job.

And ya, I am sorted out on the K thing now. The darn Canadian in me was confusing K=1000 with K=kilometer.

Either way.. its still rather impressive! I am still averaging only 6000 steps a day, except on weekends. I gotta bump it up... but this crazy ass rain is making it difficult. So hard and heavy right now in the last few days... its been difficult to get time between down pours.

Might need to head the gym for the treadmill.

Taz

Way to go Ramona! 12K is nothing to laugh at. Good job.

And ya, I am sorted out on the K thing now. The darn Canadian in me was confusing K=1000 with K=kilometer.

Either way.. its still rather impressive! I am still averaging only 6000 steps a day, except on weekends. I gotta bump it up... but this crazy ass rain is making it difficult. So hard and heavy right now in the last few days... its been difficult to get time between down pours.

Might need to head the gym for the treadmill.

Taz

Don't forget your local mall. When it rains here, I just go to the mall and do several laps. I know all the secrets to racking up the steps. I love a good competition - only if I can win, that is!! LOL, just kidding.