Questions I Have about Lap Band Surgery

I am a 37 years old female that is morbidly obese that is thinking about Lap Band Surgery I have some questions about Lap Band Surgery my Questions are:

1.I am on medicaid and medicare Can Medicaid and medicare Pay if I have the Lap Band surgery?

2. What do I have to expect before Lap Band Surgery?

3. Do you Spend the Night in the Hospital After Lap Band Surgery?

4. What do I have to expect after Lap Band Surgery?

5. Do you get sick a lot from Lap Band Surgery?

6. Can you return to work the Next day after Lap Band Surgery?

If you know the answers to these questions please message me.

CHANNING

Depending what PLAN for medicare and medicade you have they might.. Just call the number on the back of the card and ask

I dont think you would feel like going to work the next day... I know I didnt... You dont have to spend the night at the hospital and, If you watch what you do... Normally you wont get sick....

Good luck, and keep us posted!!!

1.I am on medicaid and medicare Can Medicaid and medicare Pay if I have the Lap Band surgery?

Each State is different, I have never heard of them paying but you would do best to check your local program and go straight to the source (Medicaid and Medicare in your local area)

You will be expected to loose weight before your surgery, the Nutritionist will set your guidelines. Also see here for more information http://www.obesitycontrolcenter.com/surgery.php

If your surgery is with Dr. Ortiz and since we are patients of his, yes. With other Doctors you may not be required to spend the night.

You will lead a different lifestyle, you will reduce the amount of food you eat and feel full sooner, you will not drink when eating and you will change your lifestyle and should loose the weight if you are following the rules.

Only if your band is too tight, or you’re not eating correctly. (Chewing your food 30 times and eating small amounts, while not drinking when eating)

I couldn’t – I had my surgery Friday and returned to work on Tuesday.

If you know the answers to these questions please message me.

You should study up here:

http://www.obesitycontrolcenter.com/home.php

And you can search below to find more answers to your questions.

Best and good luck!

Lisa

Welcome to our forum. I think others have given good answers so far. I just replied to another poster named Carla with the topic "New here, my husband does not want me to get the lapband" so I suggest you read that thread. It will give you some more good info. You may also want to read the testimonials section to get an idea of what to expect also.

I have no clue about medicaid, I have my doubts but maybe you will be lucky , I sure hope so. As others suggested call the actual number to find out this question. Most of us here were banded in Mexico by Dr. Ariel Ortiz and were self pay patients. His price is about half of what is in the states. Insurances can be very difficult if they even cover it but there are a few here who have gotten it that way.

Best of luck to you in your fact finding journey

Welcome! You have made a great decision by looking into lapband!

Take some time and look through all the threads on here. It will give you a lot of insight on what being banded is like both before, during and after you are banded. If you still have questions this is a fantastic place to ask. I know as I was preparing this forum gave me a lot of support and still does!

Depends on your plan.

Fear of the unknown. Anxiety. Mild shock. (you can't believe you're really doing this). Hunger. Guilt. Wondering if you can really say goodbye to your old way of life.

Depending on your pre-op diet, liquids and lots of them. (going in one end and coming out the other, pretty much the same way.)

You probably should. Mine was out-patient. (I was ready to go a few hours after surgery). On a scale of 1-10, my pain was maybe a 2 at best. (and I'm not talking pain threshold here, which I do have a fairly high tolerance when I focus on it.)...I'm talking next to no pain, more discomfort than anything.

Adjusting to your new life. Improved attitude. Clothes shopping.

I have yet to get sick.

Physically, don't use your band as a crutch, but as a tool. Listen to it.

Medically, your digestive system makes up 70% of your bacterial infection defenses. Be sure to replenish the "good bacteria" with some active culture yogurt, or that acidiferous <spelling> stuff.

I probably could have, but I'd have been pretty worthless. Give it a week, minimum. You'll thank yourself.

1. I am on medicaid and medicare Can Medicaid and medicare Pay if I have the Lap Band surgery?

No idea. I paid for the surgery out of my own pocket. Why? I realized that the amount of money I spent on Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Medifast, Sure Slim, Atkins Nutrisystem and every other program, shake, bar etc would eventually add up, along with the expense of my huge clothes, extra fees for business class so I could fly on planes etc. And more than anything, I knew as a tool the band would trigger the right mental "fullness" that I needed. Looking back, I would have borrowed the money had I not already had it. It is TOTALLy worth it.

Depends on how you address your circle of influence. Support. Lack of support. Worry. Indecision. Questioning of yourself. Of others. But most importantly... the feeling of a weight lifting off your shoulders, as you realize you are about to make a real change that will matter, and have lasting change.

Don't take the pre-op diet lightly. I almost didn't get the surgery as they were going to decline me since I didn't quite lose enough weight for their liking. After meeting with Dr. Ortiz, they decided it was a healthy chance... and I am happy I was allowed in. Don't risk it though. Work hard and reach the target they have for you.

I did. And I think it was the right decision. I met some new friends as we walked the halls with our IVs. I was made very comfortable while I was there. it was definitely worth it.

Some discomfort. But completely manageable. Gas. Out both ends. Not a lot of hunger in the first few days. You're healing. By week two post-op, you may feel hunger. But don't cheat. You're healing and need to let your body do its thing. Watch Dr. Ortiz videos to see why that's important.

Not at all. No sickness at all. I was up and walking 30 minutes after the surgery was done. They know what they are doing. They don't give you any more than you need... which makes the recovery very fast.

Well, I had the surgery on Friday, and was back to work on Monday. However, I doubt I would have went back on the Saturday. It was a nice recovery day for me.

Your milage will vary. I am not sure if these are the right questions to be asking. Everyone will have their own experiences. Yours will be no different.

Best of luck.

Taz