JANUARY SURGERIES AND FILLS

It's New Years Eve, you've just stepped on your scale and you're in shock. Thanksgiving,,,,, Christmas,,,,, everyone at your work place has brought in tons of holiday goodies, you've been to several holiday parties, the holiday foods are just awesome.... But, the scale doesn't lie,, you've put on more weight than ever.... You're pounding your head against the wall,, asking yourself,, what are we going to do? We go to the Internet, we go to our doctors, we know someone that's taken control of their weight problem, we ask for advise, we make a decision, we decide to be lapbanded. It's a new year,, It's a time to take control,, You've scheduled your lapband surgery,, YOU'RE NOT ALONE!! Here at the Lapband Forum you'll meet new freinds for life, all going through the same thing or have been in your shoes. This is the place to get support and advise from your new lapband friends. So don't be shy, you're always welcome here. So lets hear it from all of you that have scheduled your surgery or fill in the month of January.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:mellow: My date is Jan 12th. I am having some anxiety. I am a little worried about my relationship with food, knowing how much I love to eat. I fear that I may have cravings that are unsatisfied, once I am banded. I think I need to explore more what food really means to me. I am also a little worried about the hunger that I expect the first 30 days. I don't worry about fluid drinking restrictions, such as during meals and so on, but do think I will miss having an occasional glass of champagne. Also, I have never been a water drinker, and know that this will take a huge effort on my part. Not to sound like a whiner, but I want to be in emotionally good shape before this surgery.

I finally made it!! My count down is less than 3 months! I cannot wait to have this done. I started the pre-op diet 2 weeks ago to see what it is like and what types of things I will be struggling with prior to having to do this for real and having to lose 5% before the surgery. I lost 3.5 lbs. not bad considering that I did have a few cheat nights. And that’s when I learned that I truly am a night eater. The diet wasn’t too bad but I found myself pacing back and forth between the kitchen and the couch. I made a quilt in those 2 weeks; i knew that if I didn’t keep very busy there was no way that I was going to stick to this diet. It's amazing what you learn about yourslef when you stop and think about what your doing and why your doing it!

So in January when I have to start the diet for 12 days before I go to the occ, I am going to do something different every night. I might go for a swim at the pool or go for a walk around the mall. Anything to get me out of my kitchen!

My surgery is on January 16th and I couldn’t be happier!

Thanks for letting me blab a little about my first minor experience on this new journey of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well! Here we go! My surgery date is set for January 9th!

I am surprisingly not too nervous at all! I think I am mostly just really excited to start this journey and to finally have a way to loose my weight and never find it again! I am sure that as the date approaches I will get more and more nervous and I am sure that the day before my surgery when I actually get down there that I will completely freak out and be scared out of my mind but until then I am just going to be excited and happy and excercise more and enjoy the holiday season with my family! I think the most scary thing is leaving my 11 month old at home with family and being gone from her for 4 days! I have only ever spent 1 night away from her!

:D

[hI, I was trying to find someone from Washington that was going to have this done,,,,,,what made you decide on going to Mexico?? My insurance will not pay, so I am also considering going in January.......I am just so scared,,,,,,you sound young, and I feel so old.......at 53

[hI, I was trying to find someone from Washington that was going to have this done,,,,,,what made you decide on going to Mexico?? My insurance will not pay, so I am also considering going in January.......I am just so scared,,,,,,you sound young, and I feel so old.......at 53

The cost is what helped me to decide and the fact that Dr. Ortix has done over 6000 surgeries more than any Dr. in the US.

Hi rdhdleo!

I am 53 also and really, age doesn't matter at this point. My health does. I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on Oct 8. Even though I live in San Diego, I would still go to OCC in TJ because Dr Ortiz is first class and HE has trained other drs, worldwide, to perform this procedure. He has done over 6000 surgeries, NO death, his fee is very reasonably, the clinic is cleaner than any hospitals I know in the US and they have a strong, educated medical team of doctors and staff with the state of the art medical equipments. What more could you ask for? I thoroughly checked into this and trust them completely. My son, daughter in law, her sister, and my grandson all have been banded by Dr. Ortiz as well.

Mostly my choice to go to Mexico was solely because my insurance will not pay for obesity surgery. The cost to have surgery up here is anywhere from 13,500 at St. Frances to 17,500 at Evergreen if you pay on your own.

I had a friend who was banded a few years ago in Mexico and she kind of put my nerves at ease.

JazzyJude - It is great to know all of those great facts about Dr. Ortiz's history, it actually calms some more of my nerves that have recently arisen about standards and cleanliness in Mexico.

My biggest fear is dying and leaving my baby without her mommy. But I feel like the risk is minimal compared to the benefits that I will gain from loosing my weight. This will give me many more years with her than if I were to remain in the condition I am in or worse.

I had made a separate post about my date, but I thought I would add it here too. I will be having surgery on Jan. 14th. I am so excited, and not nervous at all. I REALLY wish I could get banded now..lol. Good luck to everyone. We will all be starting 2009 on the right foot :)

So in two weeks I start my pre-op diet! I am finding myself thinking about all the things that I wont be able to eat for a while (or ever again) and just how much of it I can eat before I start my pre-op diet.

I want to be down 15lbs before the surgery and I know I can do it, but I just want to get started already enough of all this waiting! I would start today but I know that one month of pre-op diet will be enough for me!

Only a few more weeks and I can get start! I should be happy that I dont have to do this now I suppose, it will be hard enough then!

Will I see any of you there?? Im under the "knife" January 16th!!

yeah definitely! I would love to have some support there of others having it done that day - since I got the date booked ive been freaking out about everything! ive never had surgery so maybe im just over reacting .... lol Even if you go the day after I guess I will be there recovering?

Yeah probably! I am really hoping to get bumped up to the 8th... Have you started your pre-op diet yet? I think I should probably call Dr. Miranda to find out when to start it and how much I have to loose before surgery, I am so anxious its all I can think about!! I told my friends tonight about getting banded, I was really scared to tell them because they are all pretty thin so I was worried they would judge, but they didn't as far as I could tell and seemed pretty happy for me! WOOT!

Hi everyone, I was hoping to see if anyone else was scheduled for January 2nd. I am getting banded that day! I live in Orange County and arriving the morning of the surgery, do most people get to leave the next day??? I am assuming I will be able to go home on the 3rd (assuming everything goes as planned). Im so excited!

Hi everyone, I was hoping to see if anyone else was scheduled for January 2nd. I am getting banded that day! I live in Orange County and arriving the morning of the surgery, do most people get to leave the next day??? I am assuming I will be able to go home on the 3rd (assuming everything goes as planned). Im so excited!

Hi JennHB I am going on Jan. 2nd also. I can't wait. I am flying into SanDiego on the morning of the surgery. I am excited, have you started you pre-op diet yet? And what are you doing. Wow talk about a New Years Resolution.... no backing out this time. Please feel free to PM me.

Hey tnm75, I hope to see you there! I am being banded on the 16th! It will be good to have someone there to talk to that knows what i will be going thourhg in the up coming weeks. Im sure i will have some questions for you!

See you there,

Jenelle