I need advice on fills

I am contemplating going back to TJ for fill but since the 6-8 weeks is during the holidays (family is coming in) I am hestitating making the trip. My confusion is due to a conversation I had with Dr. Ortiz. We have a firend who was banded 8/2007 and has had 5 fills. Dr. Ortiz says that men usually only need 1 maybe 2 fills. I don't want to have fills or unfills that I don't need but on the other hand I also don't want to travel to TJ if I don't have to. I have heard of 2 great doctors in my somewhat near area and would rather go that way if possible. What do you think ? I was banded on 10/29 and doing pretty good but am confused about the fill issue.

Hi CW...this is a question all newly banded go through I've noticed, even myself. I was banded on Oct 8 and I've scheduled my first fill, 6 1/2 weeks out from surgery, on Nov 22. Right now though, I feel restricted. I just been on solids since last Wed and it's interesting to see that I am full between 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food right now. But some say, eventually the band will relax as you heal through the surgery and will need to get a fill to continue with the restrictions.

I am hoping the other bandsters will give you some pointers here too, as I am learning valuable eating habits through them. Also, browse thru the Fill section and read up on that too.

Dr Ortiz suggest the first fill to be between 6 - 8 weeks out from surgery. Depending on YOUR band and it's restriction, will determine how often you would need a fill. Get a fill as often as YOU need them and WHILE you are at the dr's office, stay to see how you feel...if you need an unfill, they will do it right then and there, no extra charge.

IF you feel comfy with the nearby fill dr, then by all means, go to him. Aftercare is very important for you and your band.

Hope this helps a little...

I too thought of going back to TJ for my fills. I really want my first fill to be under flouro. I took a look at the costs and the risk if something went wrong like I was too tight. I found a place two hours from my home that I have heard good things about and for about the same costs but less time. I can go there and if something goes wrong, it is easy to go back. I am sad that I wont be going back to TJ but the time is the part that I really had to look at. I just can't take that much time off from work anymore and I have heard of people going there and then having to go back because they are too full, I just dont have time to do that. I hope that I have not made your decision more complicated. It is important that you look at all avenues when it comes to aftercare. At least that is my opinion. Good Luck in your search.

Same here...I would love to go back to TJ, but it's just too expensive from here. There is a place only about 20 min from my house i'll be going to and he is well known in the area. It makes me feel safe in case it was over-filled or something. But I think each person needs to make the decision for themselves. Good luck!!