What I have learned in my first 6 months

Like most of you I was so excited to get my band because of the huge change I expected to happen. I thought in 6 months time I would be over half the way to a hot sexy new me. But during this time I have struggled and been down and hard on my self. In 6 months I have lost only 30 lbs and almost 2 sizes. While this fails to even make a dent in my hopes to lose or even in comparison to many of you I have learned to be proud of what I have done. Now it is true in the beginning I didn't have the best diet figuring the band would do most of it for me, which like we ALL know is not true....it is a tool that we must use, not rely upon. But once I saw I wasn't losing I changed my diet, limiting all kinds of eating out and focusing on lean protein, keeping only whole grains in my diet and of course no sodas and lots of water. But perhaps the biggest change I have committed too is that of exercise. Countless times I started an exercise program only to quit a few weeks later, but I am proud to say that I have steadily, and consistently been doing both cardio and strength training for 2 months. The point is for all of us to remember especially to those that are struggling is that this is a life style change not a diet, not another gimmick, it is a way to improve health in ALL aspects not just fat % or BMI. I want everybody to remember that you should be proud of the effort that is being put in to being healthy, I make a conscience effort to do at least 2 things that are health related everyday, including exercise, skipping dessert, or even having that one extra glass of water. If you are struggling with the scale don't be discouraged, I know it is easy to do especially seeing the amazing results that some of the people of the forum have gotten just remember that everybody is different, I am 21 years old, if I could have lost weight on my own I wouldn't have needed or wanted this surgery. Be true to yourself and make the best decisions possible results will come even if some of us have to be more patient then others.

good luck and God Bless!!

Jacklyn

Jacklyn

What a beautiful post! Thank you so much for sharing your story. EVERYTHING you said is 100% true!! Every one is different! No 2 peple are the same and it's important that you don't compare your accomplishments/weight loss to anyone else.

Thank you!

xoxoxo

You are doing great! Please keep us posted.

Not everyone loses fast....I am an example. I lost pretty well for the first few months and have been really struggling now for the past 5 months. Only down about 5-10 pounds in that amount of time, but the important thing is that I am DOWN!!! I get discouraged sometimes, but I knew that this would be no cake-walk from the get-go. I am healthier now than I have been in years and I feel good for a change when I look in the mirror. I try not to weigh on the scale very often (this is hard). Count your many blessings......

Donna

Guest CaraMBA09
Like most of you I was so excited to get my band because of the huge change I expected to happen. I thought in 6 months time I would be over half the way to a hot sexy new me. But during this time I have struggled and been down and hard on my self. In 6 months I have lost only 30 lbs and almost 2 sizes. While this fails to even make a dent in my hopes to lose or even in comparison to many of you I have learned to be proud of what I have done. Now it is true in the beginning I didn't have the best diet figuring the band would do most of it for me, which like we ALL know is not true....it is a tool that we must use, not rely upon. But once I saw I wasn't losing I changed my diet, limiting all kinds of eating out and focusing on lean protein, keeping only whole grains in my diet and of course no sodas and lots of water. But perhaps the biggest change I have committed too is that of exercise. Countless times I started an exercise program only to quit a few weeks later, but I am proud to say that I have steadily, and consistently been doing both cardio and strength training for 2 months. The point is for all of us to remember especially to those that are struggling is that this is a life style change not a diet, not another gimmick, it is a way to improve health in ALL aspects not just fat % or BMI. I want everybody to remember that you should be proud of the effort that is being put in to being healthy, I make a conscience effort to do at least 2 things that are health related everyday, including exercise, skipping dessert, or even having that one extra glass of water. If you are struggling with the scale don't be discouraged, I know it is easy to do especially seeing the amazing results that some of the people of the forum have gotten just remember that everybody is different, I am 21 years old, if I could have lost weight on my own I wouldn't have needed or wanted this surgery. Be true to yourself and make the best decisions possible results will come even if some of us have to be more patient then others.

good luck and God Bless!!

Jacklyn

Baby steps, you will succeed and you are right, we are ALL different.

All the best to you

EXCELLENT post Jacklynrae. I for one am a realistic person and know that no one is like me exactly. I don't compare with others because what works for them, may not work for me.

BUT, I LOVE how each of us are sharing HOW we are doing things. I like the idea of a variety of options I can choose from, to see what works for ME and MY band. After awhile, things get staggnant or you're on a plateau...maybe incorporating a little change in your daily routine with one of someone else's idea. BUT also, it takes a post like yours to re-awaken my focus on my weight loss journey and maybe change my goal to smaller reachable goals.

Thank you for sharing your post...it means a lot!

Sounds to me like you totally get it. Relying solely on the band and fills for WL is a bad idea in the long run. In my opinion, you have to see the band for what it is, an AID to WL not the answer in and of itself. Certainly we rely on it in totality in early banding days but it is a total lifestyle change and that does include sensible eating, choices and exercise in whatever form works for you. I don't freak about the scale anymore because I know that I'm building muscle while I'm losing fat. I'm at peace with this now I think.

Jann