Fill Issue

Guest CaraMBA09

Guest CaraMBA09

So I had my first fill last Thursday. They started at a 1.6 and left me at a 2.0 - even with that, I walked out not feeling much of anything. Well, it continued to be worse. Over the time of my first fill to today - less than a week, I have had ZERO restriction. They had told me to call at the two week mark to check in.

Well, I did not feel I could wait another week, so I called today and told them everything, how I had no restriction since being filled, how I paid WAY too much money to not have this working for me...and what can we do to fix this situation?

She immediately scheduled me to get in tomorrow for another fill...albeit at $150.00 on top of the $375.00 I paid last thursday. At this rate, I could have just gone back to OCC for a good aggressive fill and been ahead financially...but such is life. I am still glad I am set up locally as I can just zip down there and back, but it is still quite the drive.

This has made me realize a few things.

First of all, we are all different...our tummies, fills, how many and how much. I will no longer be suspicious of anyone needing more than one-two fills immediately...because I am there doing it.

Secondly, DO NOT GIVE UP, be assertive with what you want and what you expect for your band!

I have been so depressed these past few days at NOT having a successful fill so far...NOT losing weight, etc, I am really crossing my fingers this is going to work for at least a month or so. I need a swift kick to get this process moving again.

and Lastly, I love reading most of what is contributed here on the blog. There is some very positive photos, success stories, help and advice for those of us wanting help with our BAND...

Thanks for reading, wish me luck!

Cara

Hi Cara,

I am in the same boat. I had a fill 4 weeks ago, first fill, got 2 cc's in my 4 cc band. I was told that is was the max. allowed by the manufacturer on the 1st fill for the band that I have. I have not lost weight, I put 2 lbs back on....I am leaving today to drive 5 hours to stay at a hotel for a 9:30 am appt. in the morning for fill no. 2.....I am not getting bent out of shape about this. I have heard people say on this forum that this is a marathon, not a sprint. I know that I will be OK. Don't get too down on yourself, you will be OK too!!!

Take care!

I went back to the OCC for my first fill and I can tell you they dont always start you with an aggressive because I only got 1cc. And I had restriction for about 2 weeks, my second fill I chose to do locally and again I only got 1cc. Again restriction was for about 2 weeks. So I did the selfcontrol thing, So I called my local fill doctor again for my third fill and he put 1cc in again, well let me tell you with those 3cc in I could not drink anything so the dr took .5cc out and that seems to do the trick. So my total now in band is 2.5cc And I believe that this is going to be my sweet spot for a while Im down a 3lbs in this one week and I still have good restriction. I hope that everyone gets to their sweet spot soon.

Guest CaraMBA09
I went back to the OCC for my first fill and I can tell you they dont always start you with an aggressive because I only got 1cc. And I had restriction for about 2 weeks, my second fill I chose to do locally and again I only got 1cc. Again restriction was for about 2 weeks. So I did the selfcontrol thing, So I called my local fill doctor again for my third fill and he put 1cc in again, well let me tell you with those 3cc in I could not drink anything so the dr took .5cc out and that seems to do the trick. So my total now in band is 2.5cc And I believe that this is going to be my sweet spot for a while Im down a 3lbs in this one week and I still have good restriction. I hope that everyone gets to their sweet spot soon.

Good to know. I am glad I am not the only one who has suffered through a fill that has not worked, as I said before, we need to stick with this and know what is good for US.

I am thinking I probably need at least another .5...I am looking for the sweet spot and am bound and determined I will get there!

thanks for the boost

C

I'm getting my 4th fill today. My 3rd fill was the first one where I felt any restriction at all. I still have a little restriction, but I think I can eat more than I should, so I'm going today for a small tweak. Luckily, my doc is local to me and I only pay $20 for the office visit since this was covered by my insurance. I'm one of the lucky ones that got it approved.

We are all so different and you just have to go by what your own body is telling you. Good luck and keep us posted!

Denise

So I had my first fill last Thursday. They started at a 1.6 and left me at a 2.0 - even with that, I walked out not feeling much of anything. Well, it continued to be worse. Over the time of my first fill to today - less than a week, I have had ZERO restriction. They had told me to call at the two week mark to check in.

Well, I did not feel I could wait another week, so I called today and told them everything, how I had no restriction since being filled, how I paid WAY too much money to not have this working for me...and what can we do to fix this situation?

She immediately scheduled me to get in tomorrow for another fill...albeit at $150.00 on top of the $375.00 I paid last thursday. At this rate, I could have just gone back to OCC for a good aggressive fill and been ahead financially...but such is life. I am still glad I am set up locally as I can just zip down there and back, but it is still quite the drive.

First of all, we are all different...our tummies, fills, how many and how much. I will no longer be suspicious of anyone needing more than one-two fills immediately...because I am there doing it.

Secondly, DO NOT GIVE UP, be assertive with what you want and what you expect for your band!

I have been so depressed these past few days at NOT having a successful fill so far...NOT losing weight, etc, I am really crossing my fingers this is going to work for at least a month or so. I need a swift kick to get this process moving again.

and Lastly, I love reading most of what is contributed here on the blog. There is some very positive photos, success stories, help and advice for those of us wanting help with our BAND...

Cara

Hi,

I'm another in the same boat as you...my first fill was 2cc's in my 4cc band. The OCC said they wouldn't put anymore in...I have gained 5 pounds in the month they made me wait to come back for another fill (they told me you could only come every 4 weeks). Thankfully, I go on Friday for another fill. Hopefully I can start losing again after this fill! Good luck to you. I hope this fill is better.

I wasn't banded at OCC but I didn't hit my sweet spot until my 3rd fill. Interestingly when I complained that I had no restriction the doc decided to "change out" all of my fill to see if that made a difference. Surprisingly it did and with less fluid put back in. I do go back next week for a Fluro fill to see how the pouch is and how the port positioning is. I was concerned when I was told this but they said it was normal to do this s what ever.

It's absolutely NORMAL not to have restriction or have it not last very long for your first heck even your 2nd fill. I went back to occ for my first fill and had 1.6 or 1.8 put in... I went locally 5 weeks later and was filled up to 2.5cc.. BUT it wasn't until my 3rd fill and my current 2.9cc's that I really felt restriction and started dropping weight. Don't have a number in your head that you think will work for you.. honestly it WILL happen!! I promise! You are diong GREAT!! I can't wait to see you Saturday.

xox

Ok maybe I'm not doing this right. I know what you guys mean, I think about restriction. I feel it in the mornings. I hurt a couple of mornings there, so now I do a protein shake. But my other meals, I eat my portion and wait, and then see how I feel. I usually am satisfied, and full. So is that restriction?

I got 2cc's in my 4cc band Oct 24th almost 2 weeks now. I'm losing 1-3 lbs a week.

I tried to be aggresive for my fill, but he told me that the way they do it with the flouro, they determine how much each person needs. The other Tara was with me and got 1.6 in her 4 cc band.

So, to us, it made sense, since each person is different.

So, I felt we couldn't get more, even if we pushed it. Can we? This was @ the OCC. (Dr Acousta.)

So is this restriction when I feel full? Or is that just my mind telling me I'm done.

I don't want to eat till I hurt, that hurts! you know what I mean?

I'm thinking of trying breakfast again in a few days to see if it is different now.

I've only done 1 fill so far. Hoping do go for our second the beginning of next year.

Thanks,

Tara

Guest CaraMBA09

Cara

bumpety bump

I go for my first fill on Friday and I am so nervous. I am afraid it will be too tight or not tight enough. Now it sounds like I wont have any restriction, not sure. Sounds like people are different. Very confusing. I am driving about two hours to get there, I guess that is not bad. I had a nightmare last night about getting there and they checked me under flouro and there was an issue. I guess I am afraid of what the flouro will find. I wonder sometimes if I stretched my pouch, it just seems like I can eat too much. What if I did something wrong? I ate almost a full chicken sandwhich today. I bet I could have eaten the whole thing. I told myself no, that is why I didn't. This is all so new to me. I have been under a lot of stress. Lunch time is when I think I am eating more than I should. I am hoping to talk to the dr to see what I can do. I dont want to blow this. I feel like my old pattern of going out to eat is coming back. I need to really plan my meals so I dont have the temptation to eat this much. A chicken sandwhich is big to me, I dont think I should have been able to eat that much.

As far as fills go I know everyone is different. On my first fill at the OCC I got 2 cc in my 4 cc band and was told that is the MAX for a first fill allowed by the powers that be. Makes sense to me. I know we need to assert ourselves but we also must remember we are not the "experts" on how bands should be filled. I think we all get numbers floating around here and then get an expectation of what we should have. I think also it is not clear or perhaps people just don't want to accept the fact that a first fill often DOES NOT give restriction. If you get it at 6 weeks your stomach is still healing so you can do harm by overfillling. I encourage everyone to trust the fill people especially with the first fill. Now if you are getting jerked around and go numerous times etc and feel like they are just wanting money that's another issue. Reality is the first fill will not give you lasting restriction if any, it takes 2-4 even to get it. This is a process and we must also know this ahead of time and try to be patient. It is unrealistic to expect and then to demand to be filled to restriction point on a first fill, also unwise. Cara please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying you didn't do what you thought was good for you but again I urge others to understand how the band is meant to work. An overfill can be almost a life or death emergency and sometimes the swelling from a fill takes a day or two and then you could be in trouble on fills other than your first. Just my 2 cents.

I go for my first fill on Friday and I am so nervous. I am afraid it will be too tight or not tight enough. Now it sounds like I wont have any restriction, not sure. Sounds like people are different. Very confusing. I am driving about two hours to get there, I guess that is not bad. I had a nightmare last night about getting there and they checked me under flouro and there was an issue. I guess I am afraid of what the flouro will find. I wonder sometimes if I stretched my pouch, it just seems like I can eat too much. What if I did something wrong? I ate almost a full chicken sandwhich today. I bet I could have eaten the whole thing. I told myself no, that is why I didn't. This is all so new to me. I have been under a lot of stress. Lunch time is when I think I am eating more than I should. I am hoping to talk to the dr to see what I can do. I dont want to blow this. I feel like my old pattern of going out to eat is coming back. I need to really plan my meals so I dont have the temptation to eat this much. A chicken sandwhich is big to me, I dont think I should have been able to eat that much.

Eating out for lunch is very convenient and a habit of many. For me this is a set up for failure. Yes there are healthy choices but it's hard to know what they are and most fast food is not band friendly, especially when you have restriction. Yes a whole chicken sandwich is alot. Half should be about it but with no restriction you can eat as much as you want. It would be very unlikely if you have stretched your pouch unless every day you overeat at every meal. The stomach tissue is also part muscle and it takes some repeated effort to stretch out muscles. If you must continue to eat out cut your sandwich in 1/2 and then throw the rest away immediatly. Yes I said throw it in the garbage before you get tempted to over eat. Better there than in your small pouch perhaps causing pressure on it and slowly stretching it out. You must take a long hard look at your lifestyle and make some very difficult choices to be successful at this. This means pre-planning most all your meals. Packing your lunch the night before. Having a shopping list with your items you need for your lunches and having them on hand. It's lack of planning I believe that causes us to make spur of the moment choices which are unhealthy.

No worries about your first fill sweetie. I have never read of anyone being overfilled the first time. It will be a piece of cake so please try and not stress about it. No reason to. Good luck and also if you stress it tightens your band and they won't be able to fill you as much as if you weren't stressing. Read the post by Dolittle on how to get a good fill. It has alot of helpful hints I have used before my last fill. I think it worked so well that's why I got overfilled maybe. Drink tons of water tomorrow like minimum 64 ounces, force yourself. You can use the special K stuff or just plain water but this is a must for a good fill to be hydrated also. Hope this helps and I can't wait to see you Saturday.

Hi Tara,

To me, it sounds like you do not need another fill. If you are losing 1-3 pounds a week, there's no need for it. Right now you are losing the expected amount, and should not get another fill until you see yourself slowing down on weight loss, and eating bigger portions. If you can tell that your portions are smaller, and you are satiated by the amount you eat, then you have restriction.

It all comes down to the definition of "Restriction." What is restriction? It is the act of keeping something within specified bounds. Restriction is having a control over how much food you consume in one sitting. When your band tells you that you are full, it's also restricting you from eating more. What's the opposite of restriction? Uncontrollable, no management. You are able to eat whatever, whenever, and however much you want.

I am not trying to "dumb it down" by any means, but others along with myself tend to want the ultimate restriction, thinking the weight is going to melt away once we cannot eat. The band does not work this way. We have to have patience, and follow the guidelines along with keeping up with our fills to ensure a steady weight loss. We all just need a good reminder once in a while!!

Here's another prespective:

If you were to lose 2 pounds a week. That is 8 pounds a month. If you lost 8 pounds a month for a year, that is 96 pounds in one year you would lose. Not to mention the incredible weight loss from the pre & post op diets we did. That's great isn't it?!

Just remember, it tooks us a long time to accumulate all this weight, it's going to take a while to get it off, in the healthiest way possible.

I have 3 cc's in my band and I am not losing 1-3 pounds a week, so I am actually envious! I am losing around 5 pounds a month, and I see a personal trainer twice a week. So feel good with what your band is doing for you!! :D

HTH,

Evette

This was a VERY good and informative post Evette!