Just did it

:rolleyes: Hey all. Just had my banding on Fri. 12/10. I flew home to NY on the 12th. Stayed home on the 13th, more from jet lag than anything else. I feel GREAT. Well, not actually great, but mentally great. Have a little soreness, I find sleeping sort of on my right side w/a body pilow helps a lot. I'm not hungry @ all. Just drinking some apple juice, pediolite, tea (I put a little soy milk in it tonigh & it seems o.k. The experience in TJ was awesome. The Dr.'s are fabulous, from the nutritionist Dr Mirand to the anestesiologist (they use great anesthesia...I was groggy for 1/2 hour & up and walking 45 minutes after the banding!. Dr's Ortiz & Martinez are the best. Dr. Martinez kept offering him my cell phone so I could call home, NY! They're kind, caring & considerate. I think they're really cutting edge (excuse the pun, just 5 little holes) in the field. They keep you on clear fluids longer but they find that gives the most weight loss, so I'm all for it. I get to have 1/2 cup of fat-free yogurt on Friday...I can't wait! Most of the nurses speak at least some english, and the one who didn't was just so sweet, she knew just what I needed. I brought my own kosher food (a gatorade substitute, apple juice, jello & they were very accomodating. Even the driver, Jr. is a doll!

I had a question this a.m & called Dr. Martinez on his cell. He's always happy to take calls. Patient satisfaction is their no. 1 goal.

If anyone's hesitant about Mexico, TJ, the whole bit, relax. The hospital was cleaner than most I've seen in NY! & that's even LIJ, NorthShore, supposedly top-of-the line. The hotel was very clean & nice.

Anyway, enough rambling for now, I hope I've helped anyone considering the procedure.

Congratulations Karen..I'm so happy for you!

I agree with all that you said about Ortiz & hisstaff..they are awesome! Isint it great to be able to reach your Dr. on his cell phone? That sure does not happen here in the US. Keep us posted on your porgress :)

;) Karen,

Ditto to everything you said about Dr. Ortiz and staff. Even my husband said that we were treated so kind by everyone. I have been reading Dr. Simpson and Dr. Ortiz books and I might fly back for my fills. Some of the mistakes are scary. I was going to fly into New York because you have Dr. Ren at NYU and her partner that has done about 700 bands. Still trying to decide. But I am glad you had such a positive time and that you are doing well. It is not easy getting through the liquid stage but I wouldn't do anything to damage my band so I am following instructions. I figure they know better than I did. I am glad you are not hungry. I was just lucky in that I was starving. It is better now but I am a little scared to start eating solids. I have had some mashed potatoes and cream soups, jello, w/free Cool Whip (a real treat).

My stomach growls alot and makes strange noises. I had to buy Lactaid milk because regular was not settling well.

Good luck on your liquids. When I complained to the board everyone gave me suggestions and said it was not impossible and very important to let the band scar over and most of all that you do not vomit. That would make the band slip. They said that they have all done it and to hang in there. So I am passing that along for all it is worth. Hope it makes you feel better. Let me know if I can answer anything for you. I can start eating Wednesday but plan on taking it very slow.

Debby

12/1/04

Hi,

I'm newly banded as well. I got banded on Dec. 14th. I'm having a TERRIBLE time getting through the liquid stage....HELP :(

My experience was great, and I feel fine, I keep starting to put things into my mouth (habit) and then remembering. :o I'm sooooooo hungry too!! I'm dreaming of food!! If anyone can give me some suggestions on things to eat (or should I say drink) during this liquid stage to help me get past it...please do!! I don't think I will be able to make it for 2 more weeks!!!

Thanks,

Gayle

Gayle

What are you drinking during the liquid phase right now.? Have you tried putting soups into the blender? Have you tried the liquid yogurt? Protein drinks will also help with the hunger. I bleneded everything, as long as it went through a straw and had no chunks I was fine. The soups at hand by Campbells also worked well for me, the creamy chicken and creamy tomato were the best and no chunks, popsicles and jello were my best friends during the liquid phase, I felt like I was eating food instead of just drinking. Best of Luck to you & Hang in there, it will all be behind you soon and worth it in the long run!

• 2 weeks later...

:unsure: this is my first time writting in this forum! i am 31 y old femal 5.2 and my weight is 306 lbs :rolleyes: i don't know anything about this sx can any body send some information ,which on is the best,the cost ,the complecations ...

Thanks ... :)