First day on my pre op diet

Hello Everyone, I am pretty new to the board. I have been reading posts now for about a month but I never respond. Well I figured I would make a post. I just started day 1 of my pre op diet, it was a little hard. My surgery isn't til Jan 29th but I figured I have 12 pounds to loose (at least) and I would give myself a little bit more time. I am really excited about getting banded, I decided to do it over Christmas time when my mother-in-law told me about it.

Well my pre op diet so far on the first day was a little hard, I found myself trying not to look for food. I have bought the Slim Fast shakes and had one for breakfast and lunch. For dinner I had a lean chicken breast with steamed asparagus on the side. So far so good, I don't feel hungry I just have a really bad headache but I am assuming it is normal.

Any suggestions on anything I need to do or change? I do plan on eating the Lean Cuisines too, but my husband layed out chicken.

Thanks for any information, I am excited about meeting some of you and getting my band!!

~ Tane

Hi,

What I found out on the pre-op diet was a lot information that I gleaned from others on this board. One thing that I took their advice on was making sure that my protein drink had a lot of protein in it. If you live close to a Costco, there is a brand "EAS". This is a powder for making your protein drinks. It has 27gr of protein in one 8oz. drink. And also the chocolate is really good! Dr. Miranda really approved of this one. I also did the lean cuisines for the evening meal. I was suppose to lose 13lbs pre-op and ended losing a lot more than that. Drink lots of water also. I dilute my 32oz bottle of water with 1 packet of crystal lite.

That way it is not so strong, but yet refreshing. You are so close to surgery. I am excited for you. I am only 4 weeks post-op myself. This is such a great place to go for questions and encouragement. Anne

Hi,

What I found out on the pre-op diet was a lot information that I gleaned from others on this board. One thing that I took their advice on was making sure that my protein drink had a lot of protein in it. If you live close to a Costco, there is a brand "EAS". This is a powder for making your protein drinks. It has 27gr of protein in one 8oz. drink. And also the chocolate is really good! Dr. Miranda really approved of this one. I also did the lean cuisines for the evening meal. I was suppose to lose 13lbs pre-op and ended losing a lot more than that. Drink lots of water also. I dilute my 32oz bottle of water with 1 packet of crystal lite.

That way it is not so strong, but yet refreshing. You are so close to surgery. I am excited for you. I am only 4 weeks post-op myself. This is such a great place to go for questions and encouragement. Anne

I didn't know any better and I did the Slim-Fast also. I lost what I needed to before my surgery, but had I known better I would have lost much more. I now drink the EAS ready made. They don't taste quite as good as Slim-Fast, but they really are better for you. I buy them at Wal-Mart.

I am 37 years old and my fat is stubborn. I have lost 30 pounds including pre-op diet, and I haven't had my first fill yet. I am sitting at the airport now on my way to the OCC to get my "fix."

Good luck.

Kimberly

I didn't know any better and I did the Slim-Fast also. I lost what I needed to before my surgery, but had I known better I would have lost much more. I now drink the EAS ready made. They don't taste quite as good as Slim-Fast, but they really are better for you. I buy them at Wal-Mart.

I am 37 years old and my fat is stubborn. I have lost 30 pounds including pre-op diet, and I haven't had my first fill yet. I am sitting at the airport now on my way to the OCC to get my "fix."

Good luck.

Kimberly

Just so you all know, Muscle Milk Light, makes a decent ready made. I get the chocolate. I bought a whole case at Costco. I am on liquids for a week after a fil. So, they come in handy.

It is 8.5 oz and it doesn't taste bad at all, infact I enjoy them!

160 calories

5 grams fat

9 grams carbs

20 grams protein

3 grams sugar

Just so you all know, Muscle Milk Light, makes a decent ready made. I get the chocolate. I bought a whole case at Costco. I am on liquids for a week after a fil. So, they come in handy.

It is 8.5 oz and it doesn't taste bad at all, infact I enjoy them!

160 calories

5 grams fat

9 grams carbs

20 grams protein

3 grams sugar

Dana,

Sounds like you are doing quite well. Just wondering why you are on liquids after your fill ..and for one week?

Is that the protocol for just you?

I get my first fill February3.

Labella

Hello Everyone, I am pretty new to the board. I have been reading posts now for about a month but I never respond. Well I figured I would make a post. I just started day 1 of my pre op diet, it was a little hard. My surgery isn't til Jan 29th but I figured I have 12 pounds to loose (at least) and I would give myself a little bit more time. I am really excited about getting banded, I decided to do it over Christmas time when my mother-in-law told me about it.

Well my pre op diet so far on the first day was a little hard, I found myself trying not to look for food. I have bought the Slim Fast shakes and had one for breakfast and lunch. For dinner I had a lean chicken breast with steamed asparagus on the side. So far so good, I don't feel hungry I just have a really bad headache but I am assuming it is normal.

Any suggestions on anything I need to do or change? I do plan on eating the Lean Cuisines too, but my husband layed out chicken.

Thanks for any information, I am excited about meeting some of you and getting my band!!

~ Tane

Tane ~ Congrats on your decision, you won't regret this. Starting on the preop diet is generally hard on everyone but if you focus on your goal, it becomes a lot easier. Remember to take those Metamucil capsules to aid in hunger pangs. Take one at 10am and 3pm. Taking these regularly, I was never hungry...just be consistent in taking them. After surgery, I took the chewable Fiber Choice for Weight Management and it has chrominum picolinate too, which really helps your weight loss.

Everyone is going to have their 'fav' in protein shakes but you don't want to have too many Slim Fast as they are high in sugar/carbs. Invest in a good protein shake. I, myself, ordered on line, the AmazeRX I saw on informercial, and they taste like a milk shake. It has 17 grams protein for an 6oz drink and you use just water, as their milk product already in it.

I went on the preop diet 2 like you and had my protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and I don't care for frozen dinners, so I opt with the green salads and the spray Wishbone salad dressings Dr. Miranda suggested, only 1 or 2 calories per spray ~ depending which kind of dressing you choose. In addition to the salad, I had a hard boiled egg, 1oz of cheddar cheese, and about 10 slices of deli meats from Hillshire or Buddig. For dessert, I had mostly Jell-o and a few times pudding. I was watching both my calorie (no more than 1200) and protein (60 to 90 grams) intake.

Hope this helps...and good luck! You are in for an amazing bandster ride and a new you!

Dana,

Sounds like you are doing quite well. Just wondering why you are on liquids after your fill ..and for one week?

Is that the protocol for just you?

I get my first fill February3.

Labella

Hi Labella ~ Dana and I were banded just 3 days apart and I can help with the answer. After your fill, you are directed to go on full liquids (the creamy soup stage) because your band just gotten tighter and to help adjust to this tightness, you want to progress slowly back to solid food by starting off with liquids, then softer food, and then complete solid. Depending on your fill dr, they will have instructions for you to follow. Not all drs are the same as to how many days you do certain things. For me, I went for my 2nd fill on Dec 20 and I received a good restriction and I still do (YAY!). I was to go on full liquids for 3 days, but on the fourth day, I couldn't really eat, so I went for another 2 days and then started eating smaller solid food portions.

Hope this helps you...

Hi Labella ~ Dana and I were banded just 3 days apart and I can help with the answer. After your fill, you are directed to go on full liquids (the creamy soup stage) because your band just gotten tighter and to help adjust to this tightness, you want to progress slowly back to solid food by starting off with liquids, then softer food, and then complete solid. Depending on your fill dr, they will have instructions for you to follow. Not all drs are the same as to how many days you do certain things. For me, I went for my 2nd fill on Dec 20 and I received a good restriction and I still do (YAY!). I was to go on full liquids for 3 days, but on the fourth day, I couldn't really eat, so I went for another 2 days and then started eating smaller solid food portions.

Hope this helps you...

IM doing good still at occ but the suregery is over and i feel good