How many grams of protein should we eat??

twinsuccess1

Does anyone know how many grams of protein we should consume a day???

On the liquid diet, I was told 30 grams a day...but now I try to get in 60-80 grams a day. Those protein bullets help alot since they have 42g and I stir a scoop of protein powder into my coffee in the morning as well which has 26g. These things help a lot since some days I can eat meat and some days I can't so, getting protein "the old fashioned way" isn't feasible.

On the liquid diet, I was told 30 grams a day...but now I try to get in 60-80 grams a day. Those protein bullets help alot since they have 42g and I stir a scoop of protein powder into my coffee in the morning as well which has 26g. These things help a lot since some days I can eat meat and some days I can't so, getting protein "the old fashioned way" isn't feasible.

I know I have mentioned this several times, BUT....the Muscle Milk Light premades are a great way to get some protein! (the chocolate milk shake is great) They have boosted my weight loss. I was drinking the whey protein bullets that have 42 grams of protein like crazy. Now, I am SOLD on Muscle Milk!!!!

Also, on the liquid diet I had to make sure I was getting 60 grams of protein because I was having major dizzy spells. IT WAS AWFUL!

Below is what Dr. Miranda says.....people often confuse the gastric bypass and lap-band diets and eat too much protein which can actually do harm to your organs. Bandsters can absorsb everything so be careful not to over-do it with all the drinks and bullets etc.

FROM DR. MIRANDA....

"50g the most. Remember there is protein in beans, meats, egg, dairy , and even cakes. Usually people over eat it. Extra protein will store as body fat.Who need extra protein?patients that suffer from severe burns, pregnant women, children (they are growing) and athletes."

Dr. Miranda

Dr. Miranda told my husband (he is also banded) that the average American diet has enough protein and that it was not really necessary to supplement protein.

I use protein supplementing in the morning when my band is too tight for an ordinary breakfast. But, overall, I'm not a big fan. I really do not like the taste or texture of most protein drinks.

Some other things I found out by doing a little research on line is that too much protein can be bad for your liver and kidneys, can promote vitamin and mineral deficiencies, especially calcium as the digestion of the protein leeches calcuim from you bones. That in turn increases your risk of osteoporosis. It can cause bad breath which seem insignificant next to bone loss and kidney disease.

That said, I read that most doctors say you need 0.8 to 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day (about 7 grams per 20 pounds) so our requirements will change as we lose weight. Now, if you are a training athlete or a competitive body builder, your protein requirements will be different than the average person. Right now, I would need 64 grams but at goal (145) I would only need about 50-52. I have read a healthy range is 60-80 grams per day depending on your weight and activity level.

Protein deficiency is rarely seen in the Western world because it is so easy for us to get protein.

One article I read said that you could do all your supplementing with skim milk powder for the same results and for a lot less money than the pricey supplements most of us purchase (myself included).

The next time I'm at the market, I think I will pick up a box of that powdered milk my Mom used to make me drink when I was a kid. I know it cannot taste as bad as some of the supplements I've tried.

Dawn

Does muscle milk taste like protein drinks? Or more like regular milk?

The only Muscle Milk I have tried are the Light "Chocolate Milk" 8.5 oz Premades

They taste very sweet, like chocolate milk. I really enjoy them. I am so happy with these I haven't ventured in to trying their powder or their other flavored premades. But, I know they also have a mocha and vanilla premade as well. Check it out.

Lastly, you don't want to have alot of these. Maybe 1 a day, somedays you may need 2. If you over do it, you will be drinking a high calorie liquid! So, just have one during the time of day your band may be tight and you want to get those protein grams in. It is perfect & a great treat!

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=26

Yes I believe it depends on your weight and your activity level. But you will hear a lot of different opinions even from the experts.

I know it needs to change, but I am a carb girl (don't eat a lot of meat, eggs or cheese), so I am actually concerned about the protein and am working on getting enough daily. Even though I take them, I don't completely trust vitamins because I think we often just excrete them in our urine. Unfortunately, some people I have talked to have lost their hair several months after the lap band; my guess is that they might be protein deficient.

I just tried the muscle milk light vanilla creme for the first time and it was pretty good (15g protein). This was the kind in the little juice boxes with the straw. Because it was such a small drink; I added 2 tsp of sugar free vanilla coffee mate (mixed that with some warm water to dissolve it), and put it all in the blender with some ice...it came out pretty good.

Maybe you are getting enough already depending on your diet. I would just add it all up on a normal day and see if you are in a normal range and adjust it if you need it. :)