Protein Drinks

aguagirl19

I was wondering who still drinks protein shakes post liquid diet. I know we're not suppost to take in liquid calories after we've reached the solid stage. I also wanted to know for what reasons? Is it to get all your calories in? Is it for muscle repair after workouts? Im on a 3 day liquid diet after my first fill and looking at my options.

Thanks

I am 9 months post-op and still take in protien drinks 3-4 times weekly. Sometimes for breakfast because that is usually when I can't have very much, if any, solids. And mostly for post-workout replenishment, as long as it is within 30 minutes after my workout, otherwise it doesnt do much for your muscle rebuilding. On occasion, if I feel I havent had enough protien for the day, I take a shake. I like the opti-fast shakes that are pre-made in a box, and EAS shakes that I buy at my local Sam's Club by the case. I also use protien bars instead of a shake to get enough protien.

And of course, when there are those days that solids are not my friend (i.e. TOM week) I drink protien shakes. I actually do a 3-4 day liquid regime to "restart" my metobolism during that week since I really can't tolerate solids anyway. Afterwards when I go back to solids, there is always something new I can't tolerate at that particular time. For example, I am not able to tolerate raw veggies at this time. Every veggie must be cooked, not mushy, just cooked. So no salads for a while, but that's ok, I know eventually I will be able to have my crisp greens again.

I do too! Mornings I am soooo tight. I have to have a premade Muscle Milk, it gives me 20 grams of protein in the mornings and then I am ready for lunch about noon.

I don't have very much restriction yet but I still hate to eat in the morning so I do shakes most days. I ordered some on-line that are much healthier than most I've found in the stores (cheaper too) called "Peaceful Planet High Protein Energy Shake" (I have tried Caribbean Cocoa, Indain Chai and African Vanilla). They are made by Veg Life and taste more "earthy" for sure, but I don't mind and since I'm past 21-days liquids I can now add fruit and blend them to make all kinds of different flavors!

Nutrition:

Calories 115

Fat 1g (zero trans and zero saturated)

Fiber 2g

Sugar 8 g (slim fast has 20g)

Protein 16 g (slim fast has 5g)

They keep me full for a few hours.

Sabrina:)

I don't have very much restriction yet but I still hate to eat in the morning so I do shakes most days. I ordered some on-line that are much healthier than most I've found in the stores (cheaper too) called "Peaceful Planet High Protein Energy Shake" (I have tried Caribbean Cocoa, Indain Chai and African Vanilla). They are made by Veg Life and taste more "earthy" for sure, but I don't mind and since I'm past 21-days liquids I can now add fruit and blend them to make all kinds of different flavors!

Nutrition:

Calories 115

Fat 1g (zero trans and zero saturated)

Fiber 2g

Sugar 8 g (slim fast has 20g)

Protein 16 g (slim fast has 5g)

They keep me full for a few hours.

Sabrina:)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the feedback everyone. They were very informative. I've been drinking protein drinks most mornings because my band doesn't like most solids in the morning. I'm looking forward to trying the veg life brand soon. I like some of their other products I've tried in the past. Best wishes everybody.

In the mornings I do: 1/2 scoop of Choc Isopure in 1 cup of FF milk.

In the later afternoons I also do 1/2 scoop of Isopure Alpine Punch for the protein. Otherwise I wouldn't get enough in daily....

I've been doing this pretty much forever. I add in a flavor pack like a Crystal Lite for the punch mix otherwise it tastes a little like vitamins.

I have never really done many protein drinks as it was never a pre-op requirement by my surgeon. I did use Slim Fast a couple of times after I would have a fill, but it took me 10 months to go thru one can of it.

However, I came down with what I thought was a cold this week and did not want to eat anything. So, I bought a can of the Slim Fast High Protein powder and have been having one for breakfast each morning. I have also been having two glasses of orange juice each day and one or two cups of hot chocolate at night. I figured I would be setting myself up for failure by adding the liquid calories from the oj and hot chocolate, but low and behold I have lost 3 lbs. in the past 5 days after hovering at the same weight for the past month.

I am not sure if upping my caloric intake or doing a shake only in the morning did it, or if maybe it was time for my plateau to end. Regardless, I am going to stick with the shake in the morning until I finish this can. I will stop the oj when this jug is empty, and will go back to hot chocolate one or two nights a week - my theory of treating a cold with oj, hot chocolate and diet coke didn't work this time as I ended up at the doctor with a sinus infection and am now taking antibiotics. :rolleyes:

I did forget to tell this doctor that I have a lapband and I ended up with the biggest antibiotic pill that I have ever seen. The first one didn't go down well as I swallowed all the liquid and the pill was still stuck on my tongue - that was nasty bitter. I now keep a pudding cup in the fridge. Place one pill in it and cover it with more pudding. I then take a decent sized scoop which includes the covered pill and swallow it in one big swallow. I know this may sound childish, but it was prevented it from being left on my tongue and has gone thru the band fine every single time so far, I just hope it continues to do so for the next 15 times I have to take it.

I am 9 months post-op and still take in protien drinks 3-4 times weekly. Sometimes for breakfast because that is usually when I can't have very much, if any, solids. And mostly for post-workout replenishment, as long as it is within 30 minutes after my workout, otherwise it doesnt do much for your muscle rebuilding. On occasion, if I feel I havent had enough protien for the day, I take a shake. I like the opti-fast shakes that are pre-made in a box, and EAS shakes that I buy at my local Sam's Club by the case. I also use protien bars instead of a shake to get enough protien.

And of course, when there are those days that solids are not my friend (i.e. TOM week) I drink protien shakes. I actually do a 3-4 day liquid regime to "restart" my metobolism during that week since I really can't tolerate solids anyway. Afterwards when I go back to solids, there is always something new I can't tolerate at that particular time. For example, I am not able to tolerate raw veggies at this time. Every veggie must be cooked, not mushy, just cooked. So no salads for a while, but that's ok, I know eventually I will be able to have my crisp greens again.

DITTO! I do the exact same thing. Right after my fill, I do protein shakes (from AmazeRX.com) and creamy soups...then progress to solid foods, starting with the softer foods. When I do hard core exercises first thing in the morning, I take a protein shake right afterwards and drink water. If I get way too busy with my job, I would do a protein shake to get the proteins in.

Best to you babe!

I have never really done many protein drinks as it was never a pre-op requirement by my surgeon. I did use Slim Fast a couple of times after I would have a fill, but it took me 10 months to go thru one can of it.

However, I came down with what I thought was a cold this week and did not want to eat anything. So, I bought a can of the Slim Fast High Protein powder and have been having one for breakfast each morning. I have also been having two glasses of orange juice each day and one or two cups of hot chocolate at night. I figured I would be setting myself up for failure by adding the liquid calories from the oj and hot chocolate, but low and behold I have lost 3 lbs. in the past 5 days after hovering at the same weight for the past month.

I am not sure if upping my caloric intake or doing a shake only in the morning did it, or if maybe it was time for my plateau to end. Regardless, I am going to stick with the shake in the morning until I finish this can. I will stop the oj when this jug is empty, and will go back to hot chocolate one or two nights a week - my theory of treating a cold with oj, hot chocolate and diet coke didn't work this time as I ended up at the doctor with a sinus infection and am now taking antibiotics. :rolleyes:

I did forget to tell this doctor that I have a lapband and I ended up with the biggest antibiotic pill that I have ever seen. The first one didn't go down well as I swallowed all the liquid and the pill was still stuck on my tongue - that was nasty bitter. I now keep a pudding cup in the fridge. Place one pill in it and cover it with more pudding. I then take a decent sized scoop which includes the covered pill and swallow it in one big swallow. I know this may sound childish, but it was prevented it from being left on my tongue and has gone thru the band fine every single time so far, I just hope it continues to do so for the next 15 times I have to take it.

Same here on the pills! I caught walking pneumonia and they gave me so massive pills! But luckily so far mine have been going down, which is odd considering since i've been sick my band has been really fickle. At the ER they asked me about any recent surgeries and I said none and then was like ohhh...wait yes I have!!! :lol: