Saltine Crackers

I had to share this and wonder if anyone else has experienced this...

I got a very tight fill a month ago, 3.4 cc's in a 4cc band. I'm just now able to eat a tiny bit of solids. I have found that if I eat 5 saltine crackers (only 5 or I PB them up) I do not throw up the whole day and am able to eat more solids the rest of the day. They seem to prevent queasiness. I thought of it because I had to eat them every morning when i was pregnant because of morning sickness. Anyway, they are working and only 60 calories for 5 of them.

Here's my 2 cents on this, and I'm not trying to disagree - we just have to be careful with work arounds.

One thing I want to note, since getting my band one of the things I’ve been focused is living a healthier life and learning more about eating foods that are good for me since we eat so little. If you’re sick I think a saltine is good to ease your stomach, I actually just take my anti nausea medication for this, it’s a chewable and I only take it when feeling sick to my stomach. Starting off with a white carb like that is something we would try not to do. Take 5 crackers, crunch them up and then think of what happens when they get mixed with all of the saliva that is going down to try and push them through your band. Its makes a paste and if you think about it, its most likely not the best thing for us. Plus its a white carb, like white bread, we really try to stay away from those.

We really need to start out with protein at each meal. If you throw up at each meal you most likely want to be looked at and discuss with your fill provider. We really shouldn’t try to work around our bands, I’ve seen this before and that can de rail you, we should learn the best way that our band works for us and it is trial and error with fills.

Best, and remember, this is just my thoughts on this.

Lisa

Thank you for the advice. The only reason i eat them in the morning is to prevent feeling sick all day. Have you or anyone else tried Just the Cheese crackers?? They have only 1 carb and 5 grams of protein. I'm wondering if they go down ok.

Thanks!

Thank you for the advice. The only reason i eat them in the morning is to prevent feeling sick all day. Have you or anyone else tried Just the Cheese crackers?? They have only 1 carb and 5 grams of protein. I'm wondering if they go down ok.

Thanks!

Hi Lisa ~ what I am wondering is why are you only eating just crackers to prevent getting sick? How long have you been sick? What other foods are you eating? I've not much to go on but to me, I would be concern and contact the dr.

Like Lisa says, we need to focus on healthier eating habits, starting with proteins, then veggies, etc. Having a band that is too tight is not a good thing and not a safe way to lose weight, and if you are working around the band like that, eventually you will gain weight. I feel as though you are preventing your body to get all the natural nutrients from food, as food gives us fuel too.

I only have a 1.6cc fill in my 4cc band and for me, I don't rely fully on the tightness of the band, but I want/need to learn to work WITH the band to help me learn to get all the benefits of what natural food can give me, for a healthier lifestyle.

Like Lisa, this is my opinion too...

I got a very tight fill a month ago, 3.4 cc's in a 4cc band. I'm just now able to eat a tiny bit of solids. I have found that if I eat 5 saltine crackers (only 5 or I PB them up) I do not throw up the whole day and am able to eat more solids the rest of the day. They seem to prevent queasiness. I thought of it because I had to eat them every morning when i was pregnant because of morning sickness. Anyway, they are working and only 60 calories for 5 of them.

LisaBen,

It sounds like your band may be to tight. Especially if you have been living on liquids for the last month and are just now able to eat a "tiny bit of solids." You should see your doctor and let them know you are unable to eat solids. Having a too tight band is not healthy for you or for your band. You are not supposed to be PB-ing all your food all day long. That is another symptom of a too tight band. It's not good for you or your teeth and it can cause your band to slip. It's completely up to you, some people like the enforced inability to eat and usually the weight comes off fast at first but like Lisal said, it will stop and/or you will find ways to work around your band. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Dawn

Lisa-

I have been there. Don't prolong a situation like this!! I had 2.0 ccs for 8 months. Most days I was OK, but still had trouble getting in 1000 calories and most were late afternoon/evening. Yes I did lose a lot of weight. But then it tightened up and I went 5 weeks like you are now it sounds like. I could have really damaged myself.

Now that I have only 1 cc, I do have restriction. I am eating 1100-1200 calories a day (and I exercise daily). It feels GREAT to be able to eat healthy food (veggie burger, wheat bread, small piece, raw veggies, etc...) instead of eating teeny tiny pieces of stuff that probably wasn't nutritional.

Please consider getting an unfill. I have bought all those "Eat This Not That" books and they have really been helpful. Good luck!

Karen

Thanks for the advice everyone. I do know my fill is too tight and I do know i should get some taken out but I like the restriction. And do not have the 300 dollars to go to the fill center. So for now, I am drinking protein shakes, protein shots and eating small amounts of solid food. I do eat eggs,turkey bacon, 100 calorie snack packs of everything.. etc..i'm not on total liquids. Somedays I can eat more than others,but i know that's normal. I am exercising everyday for at least 30 minutes..usually longer. And the saltine crackers were just in the morning and only 5 of them..but i am cutting them out today LOL. My fill is definitely loosening up so I am hoping to avoid an unfill. As for PBing, I don't even do that everyday. I had my surgery over 3 months ago and have lost 57 pounds since them. I am very happy about that :D and would like to keep my restriction.

Thanks everyone!!