Gallbladder Problem

Hello Everyone -

I have been a lurker on here for over a year now. I was banded in Kansas City on 2/29/08. As of this morning I am down about 59 lbs. and thinking I only have about another 20 to go until I am at goal and ready to check into some plastic surgery. That will still have me about 16 lbs. above my ideal weight, but I was "blessed" with the broad shoulders of a football player and am afraid that if I get to my ideal weight I will be too thin to look good - who would have ever thought I would say that.

Anysay, in Sept./Oct. I started having minor discomfort at my waist about 3 inches on either side of my belly button. This mainly occurred when I was walking/working out or taking deep breaths . I asked the PA at my surgeon's office and his first thought was scar tissue as that is the area where my port scar is at. We do know that I have scar tissue there because the needle usually bends trying to get thru it when I have a fill. However, the PA suggested I get it checked out with my PCP, which I did, and he sent me to have a test on my gallbladder. The results of that test said that the excretion rate of my gallbladder is only 2% and my PCP's nurse said that I needed to have it out. To my knowledge I do not have any gallstones, but will ask that question on Friday.

Well, I do not want to have another surgery right now as it would by my 3rd within the past year. I do have a follow-up appointment scheduled with my PCP on Friday, but honestly I am not convinced the minor discomfort I am feeling is really from the gallbladder. I am still leaning towards the scar tissue theory due to the fact that if I am not moving I am not hurting. Having done some internet searches I now realize that gallbladder issues are pretty common for people who lose large amounts of weight or who lose weight quickly. I am basically concerned that what I may experience for life after the surgery will be worse than the minor discomfort I am having now, if in fact it is the gallbladder.

Has anyone else on here had any gallbladder problems since losing weight? Also, for those of you with medical knowledge, is there any possibility that once my body adjusts to all the changes that the gallbladder could start functioning normally again?

Thanks for you help!

I was wondering about the gallbladder thing too. I meant to ask Dr. Ortiz but I was so drugged out when I finally met him that I forgot to ask.

My mom and aunt had to have their gallbladders out after having babies and I just had a baby and LBS so I have both of those things working against me!

Was just wondering if anyone else had to have theirs out after LBS as well...

Id get a second opinion.

I had mine out - but it was three years ago (just had lapband put in last month). BUT - if your second opinion says to get it out do it. Cuz if they think it is causing problems trust me u dont want it worse. I thought I was dying - it was worse than any pain I have had before and I have been a hair away from death from being sliced open and that wasnt even close to the gallbladder attack.

Hi,

I have had my gallbladder out after losing a large amount of weight but not after LBS. As far as the gallbladder starting to function again after things settle down is not very likely. Basically what your test results are saying is that your gallbladder is pretty much not functioning at all. If you don't have it out you will continue to have issues and most times non functioning gallbladders can make people pretty sick and miserable. Gallstones have that potential also but generally you will have right upper quad pain that is intermittent unless a stone becomes lodged and then a person will have severe pain and nausea and vomiting. I would suspect that as your gallbladder becomes more sick you will start having lots of nausea and just feel pretty yucky.

As far as having issues after having your gallbladder removed, most people that I have taken care of have said they didn't realize just how miserable they were until they had it removed and they feel so much better almost as soon as they recover from the anesthesia. I have never had any lingering issues since having mine taken out and wondered why I didn't do it much sooner when I knew I had stones.

Hope this answered a few of your questions and good luck.

I had my doctor's appointment earlier today to discuss my test results, and I am absolutely ecstatic. He said I do not need to worry about having my gallbladder out at this time. I do not have any gallstones, so there is no concern with movement or blockage. My gallbladder looks perfect, it just isn't working much and if it were him he would not have it out just because at the present time. He equated it to a brand new car sitting in the driveway that did not have a motor in it.

He did ask me about a tummy tuck in the future. When I told him I would definitely be doing that he said I could find a surgeon that would do both. He is going to call a few other doctors for me to find some options of surgeons that do both. This was the best news ever as I can have both done in one surgery and have some of the costs such as anestesia and such covered by insurance.

He did congratulate me for having the lowest functioning gallbladder he has ever seen in his sixteen years of practice. That being said he also said that there was not much hope for it to ever regain function. I am okay with this now that I know I am not in any immediate danger and I can have both surgeries done together.

Thanks for listening/reading.

I know my PCP warned me that I will probably have to have my gallbladder removed sometime due to a large amount of weight loss after LBS. I have not had any problems yet, but I am sure they will come. He said it is common for quick or large weight losss pt's to have problems with gallbladder and need it removed.

Are you still in KC? If so, PM me. I live about 1 1/2 hours away and would love to have my LBL and gallbladder removed at the sametime, like you, that way ins would cover at least some of the bill!!!!

Wooo Hoooo more KC folks! :D