always getting stuck but never pb or slime

I would give anything to be able to PB or slime but all I get is STUCK....it hurst SO SO SO much (like my chest will rip open) and it lasts for up to an hour most times. It's happened close to a dozen times now and I swear I am chewing to bits and eating slow. In fact, since I'm just starting to try solids after my second fill, I test it by taking one bite then waiting five minutes and if everything is okay, I'll go ahead and eat the rest. Then, suddenly, after my third or fourth tiny bite, the pain hits me out of nowhere. My poor kids (4 and 5) have seen me bent over sobbing every time and they're so scared....and I'm running out of excuses with them- making up all these crazy reasons every time it happens. So now I can't eat:

-Bread

-Beef

-Chicken nuggets

-Chicken breast (moistened with sauce even)

- turkey meatballs

-halibut

-wraps

-tomatos

-peppers

I have some restriction, but I don't think I've even hit my sweet spot yet, so why am I getting stuck so much??? And why no slime or PB??? What am I going to eat besides mushy stuff? I seriously do not know what to eat now. Anybody else dealing with this?

Sabrina:)

I've only had one fill, but sometimes three bites is the limit for me for a good 20 minutes.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most bandsters are never able to eat things like bread, meatballs, etc. They're just too dense.

I could be wrong but It seems to me that you just have very good restriction after your second fill.... It should relax eventually.

Sabrina,

Getting something stuck SUCKS! Like you, when things get stuck, I don't ever slime or pbing. It's just an intense pain that's there for, well I think my longest was about an hour. I don't know why some pb and slime and others don't. I know someone else with the band that slimes like crazy when something's stuck, but doesn't get pain anywhere near the intensity that I do. It's just one of those weird things. Also, I don't think that you have to be at your sweet spot to have things getting stuck. I've gotten things stuck over the course of the last year I've been banded but it happened when I wasn't at my sweet spot.

I wish you luck!

Good job!

--TRS

Okay, here's the whole story from my last getting stuck episode (yesterday afternoon).....

I took my daughter to Subway and ordered the healthiest thing I could think of....a veggie wrap with sweet onion sauce. I took most of the wrap off and then took a tiny bite and waited a few minutes. It seemed fine so I continued with small bites chewing to bits.... all of a sudden, I was bent over in pain and took her in the bathroom with me, hoping for a slime or PB.

After ten minutes of nothing but pain, I stuck my finger down my throat and some thick saliva came up with a bit of the veggies. Now comes the scary part....I had those red and yellow banana peppers in my wrap and some of what came up was bright red. I couldn't tell if it was a pepper (it was just the same color as the pepper) but thought for a split second that it could also be blood....bright red, not dark.

I stopped making myself throw up just in case it was blood and also because I remembered throwing up can slip a band. We were supposed to go shoping but I had to drive home because I was so scared. I was trying to be brave for Syd and tell her I thought I had food poisoning but I could tell she was a bit scared too.

Anyway, we drove home. It hurt so bad I had to try puking one more time, this time I got a bit more of the slimy saliva and lettuce but not one speck of red so I was relieved. I was still uncomfortable but it eased after another half hour or so and we did go shopping and I stuck to liquids the rest of the day.

I couldn't sleep last night cause I kept thinking, "what if that WAS blood?". I'm at work now and wondering if I should go to the ER after work and see if they will have a look inside. Can they even do that? I know throwing up blood is an emergency and if I was sure I had, I would have gone but I'm just not sure it was blood- it could very well have been the banana pepper. Do you think I shold go just in case?

Sabrina,

I'm exactly like you... exactly! It feels like each time I eat there is always something that gets stuck... no matter how much I chew. There are so many things on my no-no list at the moment. However, I'm fairly sure it has nothing to do with to much restriction... it just seems that things get lodged because there are other things that I eat and I'm completely fine with. I have been tracking the time of day that things are getting stuck... but, there is no pattern whatsoever. As for the blood... if you have not been throwing up a lot, I am sure that it was a pepper.

Hugs, Kristy

Hi Sabrina ~ if you are concern, call Dr. M. You shouldn't have any blood aand if you did, it's possible a food rubbed raw against your esophagus. But definitely check with the doc on this to be sure all is well.

So sorry you are going through this...but it's a trial in error for all of us. It's the foods you are eating. For you, it seems as though you need to stay away from foods that are creating this stuck feeling and choose another ffood substitute. Make note of it and try again a month later and see how you react to it. For some, breads, ground beef/turkey/chicken, pasta, chicken nuggets, flour tortiallas, etc are just too dense of a food for us to digest. No matter how small the bite is or how many times you chew the darn thing, it just "stacks" up. At first it seems ok, then you take another bite and another and by now, your food is stacking up your chest into your esophagus area and BAM!...you've got the stuck feeling. So, now you know what this feels, lay low on those foods and try again later. PLUS, while this is happening, you are stressing out and your throat is constricting at the same time! Not fun!

Times like this, you need to stay calm, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Don't sit ~ walk around a bit to get things moving around and you should feel relief soon.

Also, as you know, vomiting is not a good thing and the more you do it, the more of the risk of your band slipping. I experienced my first PB with the chicken nuggets from McD. I took off the breaded skin and it seemed moist but really it wasn't as after eating 3/4 quarter of one nugget, I immediately had that pain in the chest and felt the food was stuck and not going anywhere. I, like you, wanted to vomit, but my body wouldn't. So, I helped it along with my 2 fingers. This is NOT avisable to do, as I could have easilly risked in slipping my band...but I needed relief right away and it did. But I was scared thinking I did somehting wrong to my band. I went on full liquids for 2 days and that helped me.

It's a learning experience for us all...the band is sooooo finicky at times! Good luck and feel better!

I have found when something gets stuck if I take a few sips of water and wait about a minute, the stuck food comes right up. All i do is lean over the toilet without straining and there it comes LOL. It works for me at least :rolleyes:

I've never tried to drink water because I heard that you shouldn't. I don't even know where I heard that but I've avoided drinking it none the less. I was told; however, that you can sip pineapple juice when you are stuck so I'm going to start carrying a small can of it around with me.

I can go weeks without slimming and start to think that maybe I need a fill because everything is going down too good and too much. Then bam!! Something like rice or bread or a tiny piece of really good chewed meat will get stuck.

Last week I had the worst ever, it lasted for 3.5 hours and I slimmed the thick clear mucus in the amount of three full cups before my band release the food to my stomache! I was ready to go to the hospital when it finally stopped. I stayed on liquids for a full two days after that.

My band is very unpredictable, with exception to a few things that will not go down, eating is a bit scary.

no ground hamburger...steak is okay

no hard boiled eggs...soft boiled or watered down scrambled are okay

no to bread

no to rice

whole wheat pasta is okay

no fish with a chewy texture

YES to eating other healthy things and losing weight, being off BP meds and fitting in a size 8 stretch jeans YEAH

Well I can't seem to do either so I may not be the best person to reply but PB stands for "productive burp" when you're food can't go down so it comes up! Mine gets "stuck" but doesn't come up so I'm left with major pain in my chest until the food eventually works it's way through. The "slime" is a thick saliva that many people start to spit up when something is stuck. Again, I don't slime either but I researched getting my band for three years and this is my understanding from what I have read. Glamouros, isn't it?!

Hi, I have been banded since November and had my first fill on January 19th- I also get severe pain when things get stuck. No throwing up or PBing just pain and spasms. I can not eat broccoli raw, cooked or steamed, and some meats. I am living off of salads ( I do great with Zaxby's salad with chicken) and baked sweet potatoes. But I am down 40 lbs so I guess something is working out.

Shellie

Okay, here's the whole story from my last getting stuck episode (yesterday afternoon).....

I took my daughter to Subway and ordered the healthiest thing I could think of....a veggie wrap with sweet onion sauce. I took most of the wrap off and then took a tiny bite and waited a few minutes. It seemed fine so I continued with small bites chewing to bits.... all of a sudden, I was bent over in pain and took her in the bathroom with me, hoping for a slime or PB.

After ten minutes of nothing but pain, I stuck my finger down my throat and some thick saliva came up with a bit of the veggies. Now comes the scary part....I had those red and yellow banana peppers in my wrap and some of what came up was bright red. I couldn't tell if it was a pepper (it was just the same color as the pepper) but thought for a split second that it could also be blood....bright red, not dark.

I stopped making myself throw up just in case it was blood and also because I remembered throwing up can slip a band. We were supposed to go shoping but I had to drive home because I was so scared. I was trying to be brave for Syd and tell her I thought I had food poisoning but I could tell she was a bit scared too.

Anyway, we drove home. It hurt so bad I had to try puking one more time, this time I got a bit more of the slimy saliva and lettuce but not one speck of red so I was relieved. I was still uncomfortable but it eased after another half hour or so and we did go shopping and I stuck to liquids the rest of the day.

I couldn't sleep last night cause I kept thinking, "what if that WAS blood?". I'm at work now and wondering if I should go to the ER after work and see if they will have a look inside. Can they even do that? I know throwing up blood is an emergency and if I was sure I had, I would have gone but I'm just not sure it was blood- it could very well have been the banana pepper. Do you think I shold go just in case?

HI I WAS BANDED NOV 20 2008 AND I GET STUFF STUCK EVERY GOSH DARN DAY IT IS ACTUALLY DRIVING ME CRAZY I HAVE TRIED EVEYTHING I CAN THINK OF OR READ ABOUT, I DO SLIME REALLY BAD! EVERY TIME! THE ONLY GOOD THING IS I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY TO BE LOSING WEIGHT THAT I DO NOT COMPLAIN! BUT OH IT HURTS LOL.......

I HAVE HAD ONE FILL AND CAN NOT IMAGINE ANOTHER RIGHT NOW, WE WILL SEE.

TAKE CARE JANINE

I find that It is diffrent for me meal to meal. the other night I made porkchops, they went down good, after being well chewed. The next afternoon for lunch I ate the last porkchop, again chewed real well. However for what ever reason I got restrection, and some light pain and a heavy dose of slime for about 20-30 min. then it passed thru and It was all over.

I have not PB'd yet, but can feel the food stacking up. Im having to remember when I get to a certian feeling to stop, because I do slime, and have some pain.

Well I can't seem to do either so I may not be the best person to reply but PB stands for "productive burp" when you're food can't go down so it comes up! Mine gets "stuck" but doesn't come up so I'm left with major pain in my chest until the food eventually works it's way through. The "slime" is a thick saliva that many people start to spit up when something is stuck. Again, I don't slime either but I researched getting my band for three years and this is my understanding from what I have read. Glamouros, isn't it?!

Oh! Thank you so much for explaining the PB. I kept reading it & wasn't sure what it was. If I do have stuck food, and I will burp but nothing comes up! I also saliva, & saliva, & saliva. I get real hot and start panicking. It seems like forever, but you are right about walking around. It seems to help. I always go outside to cool off. Scarey! I hate it!

Thanks ..... I was keep on reading it without knowning the meaning on BP and slime.

but I going to be banded on the 16th .. what i read today is bit scarry

I mostly cook meat in curry with lots of spices.. NOW I am wondring is it a good idea to get

this done???? as far as I know it was spuppose to be fine.. but after reading ur post

I am bit scared.

But Good luck to you !! hope u will feel better SOON !!!