how did you figure out your goal weight?

Well when I talked with Dr. Miranda at the OCC, she told me a good weight would be 195, I am 5'11, and have alot of muscle, but still I thought that was really high, and wayyyy to close to 200 lbs. I figured my BMI would still be considered overweight at 195, and I didn't get the band to be still considered overweight and still wearing plus size clothes. Soooo, I just calculated my BMI until I was at a normal range, and 175 seemed to be it :)

I was just wondering how you came up wit the number for your goal?

I'm not sure what I am supposed to weigh or what a good weight would be for me?

I'm 5'9"

Hi, i used a couple of ways. dr miranda would give you a weight that just about everyone here feels that the number is too high. so i went with my weight prior to me gaining weight. i also look at the bmi table but did not take it taht seriously since depending on your body size and bone structure, it may be off. however its a good way to start. many of the bandster here decided to go with a size. i remember mamamichelle try on a size 6 dress in the begginning and that was her goal. I had a similar way since i had old clothes size 7 that i wanted to try back. however once i approach that size i felt that i was not happy so i continue with my journey. i am short so the number what somewhat important when comparing to the size. just go with it and take a guess of what you would like to be and then build from there. Good Luck!!

Im 5'9 and happen to carry my weight pretty well, but I chose 165 as my goal weight because of my height and thats a normal weight according to my bmi and also I remember being 165 and I liked my size at that weight. The OCC gave me a goal weight of 169.

I think Dr Miranda uses the lean body mass approach to goal weight. Big people have larger lean body mass (the weight of bones and muscle without the fat) our bones are denser etc therefore if you calculate your lbm and add the ideal fat % you end up with a higher value.

Based on the bmi scale alone, my target weight should be 185lbs, based on lbm, my target is 200lbs

I agree, I'm 5'7". The clinic told me that a good range would be 186-196, I too think this is to close to the dreaded 200 mark. I am going to go for a size more than a number, I think 8/10 should do it for me. Although I am trying to get down to 160, I thought 145 would be cool. That way I could say I lost 50% of my weight but I don't feel that is maintainable! So we will see what number I am when I can slide into a size 8 jean!! :P

To be honest, just as long as I can Hike, Camp and do all my favorite outdoor activities I will be happy!

Jenelle

I have an initial goal set, but it is just at 150 and I hope to lose more. That is the smallest i've been in my adult life, so I chose that as a first goal. Then, after that I am going to see what I want my goal to be. I figure i'll stick to the plan and see where I can get comfortably and maintain. BMI is always a good guide, but it isn't realistic for me b/c it says I should be between 115 and 123 and there is just no way unless I did it unhealthy and i'm not going to do that.

I have an initial goal set, but it is just at 150 and I hope to lose more. That is the smallest i've been in my adult life, so I chose that as a first goal. Then, after that I am going to see what I want my goal to be. I figure i'll stick to the plan and see where I can get comfortably and maintain. BMI is always a good guide, but it isn't realistic for me b/c it says I should be between 115 and 123 and there is just no way unless I did it unhealthy and i'm not going to do that.

i am 5'10" and dr miranda gave me a goal weight of 160. which i initially thought would be good. i guesstimated that i would be a size 8 at that weight. well, 7 months later i am 168lbs and a size 12. very frustrating! i still would like to get down to a size 8--i hate the idea of being in the double digits (size-wise). no one's goal size is in the double digits--that's where you start your weight loss; not where you end it.

but, now i know that i will need to get down to 150lbs to reach that size. and i don't think know if i can maintain that weight long-term. i bought a body composition scale--the scale that gives you, not only your weight, but supposedly your body fat %. i don't know how accurate these scales are?? but, if they are reliable, then i got some more depressing news. i thought i would be between 120 - 125lbs of lean body weight. and everything above that fat weight. according to the scale i am only 116lbs of lean tissue. so even at my present weight, i am still over 30% fat!!!

i may hafta stick to scv--i have gone from tight xl scrubs at work to mediums. and i am now able to squat!

I chose a goal weight of 135 lbs. About 8 years ago, I started interviewing personal trainers. One of them had a particularly cute body shape, and wore this cute cut off top to the interview. I asked what her weight was and she said "a lean and strong 135", and so that number has stuck in my head all these years later. I actually have no idea if that is even a realistic goal for me! hehe :-)

But I'm much better on sizes. I'd like to accomplish a size 6 within 3 years. I figure I can get down to a maintainable size 10-12 by end of this year. I'm not sure how long it will take, but I'd eventually like a tight bikini body. I have this dream of yachting in Italy with my husband... he has a buff body from his new kung fu sessions, and I am a brick house size six in a sexy bikini. Even if it only last one summer long, I WILL be a size 6. :-)