Are there any post-op liquids that should be avoided?

Hello all,

I'm new here as you may have already guessed. I'm scheduled to be banded on Feb 16th, and am preparing my pantry for the post-op liquid diet. I received a small blurb about what liquids to stock up on in the paperwork provided by the OCC, but the only thing that I was told to avoid during that three week period was carbonated beverages. :huh:

This is a self-pay scenario as I’m sure a lot of these are, but when I make a large investment of this sort I intend to do everything in my power to help it succeed. That being said I’ve done my own research on several other recommended post-op liquid diets.

They say to avoid the following:

Citrus Juices (Orange, Grapefruit, Pineapple)

Acidic Liquids (tomato juice, soup, buttermilk)

Caffeinated beverages (coffee, tea)

Carbonated bev (already covered by the OCC)

Homage fruit or yogurt smoothies

Anything that seems liquid but is not (Jell-o, Yogurt, Pudding, Ice cream)

Now I know that Dr. Ortiz has been doing this for a lot longer than any of these other surgeons, and has a different way of handling post-op for that reason (hence the three weeks of liquids, and no mushies) which makes a lot of sense to me actually, but for the purposes of making sure that I have the right stuff waiting for me when I return from this trip has anyone heard about, or noticed any liquids like the ones listed above that I should avoid?

You all have already been down this road, so any advice that you have will be greatly appreciated. :D

I was told and given paperwork from the OCC that said coffee was fine (decaf or reg) with dairy free creamer. I was told fruit juices were fine (just dilute them some with water). Yogurt smooties and creamy soups are the only things you are really allowed during the later stages of the 21 day liquid diet. Your list is not quite accurate, I think. However, I'm pretty much a newbie...there are tons of much more experienced bandsters than I...

I finish my 21 days of liquids this coming Monday.

Good luck...this forum is a wealth of info!

:)

Jennifer

Hello all,

I'm new here as you may have already guessed. I'm scheduled to be banded on Feb 16th, and am preparing my pantry for the post-op liquid diet. I received a small blurb about what liquids to stock up on in the paperwork provided by the OCC, but the only thing that I was told to avoid during that three week period was carbonated beverages. :huh:

This is a self-pay scenario as I’m sure a lot of these are, but when I make a large investment of this sort I intend to do everything in my power to help it succeed. That being said I’ve done my own research on several other recommended post-op liquid diets.

They say to avoid the following:

Citrus Juices (Orange, Grapefruit, Pineapple)

Acidic Liquids (tomato juice, soup, buttermilk)

Caffeinated beverages (coffee, tea)

Carbonated bev (already covered by the OCC)

Homage fruit or yogurt smoothies

Anything that seems liquid but is not (Jell-o, Yogurt, Pudding, Ice cream)

Now I know that Dr. Ortiz has been doing this for a lot longer than any of these other surgeons, and has a different way of handling post-op for that reason (hence the three weeks of liquids, and no mushies) which makes a lot of sense to me actually, but for the purposes of making sure that I have the right stuff waiting for me when I return from this trip has anyone heard about, or noticed any liquids like the ones listed above that I should avoid?

You all have already been down this road, so any advice that you have will be greatly appreciated. :D

This is what I had after the initial clear liquids stage, some of it is higher on the calories, which Dr. Miranda would frown upon, but I still lost 18 lbs post op and it got me through it:

hot chocolate

low fat milk (for protein)

strawberry milk

chocolate milk

protein drinks

drinkable yogurts

creamy soups

popsicles

power aide

I had an occasional frozen yogurt

I had occasional iced latte from starbucks ---- not exactly healthy..lol

fudgsicles

I even had ice cream from Cold Stone one night (without the mixin of course)

orange juice

Ok, both of these responses really helped me. I know that sounds strange, but it's true.

First off I was pretty sure that my list was way off, and sort of needed some confirmation on that. I've also emailed Dr. Miranda since and he also confirmed that.

Second giving me ideas of what you ate during this phase really does help as I'll probably be glued to this forum during those three weeks. LOL

Thanks so much. :D