Lap Band List - Urgent my op is in 2 days! *scared*

Hi there i am having my op in 2 days on Wednesday I am scared and too keep my nerves at bay i am going ... shopping.

What will i need?

So far i have a nightie.. trust me i normally am a nuddie sleeper lol so i had to get one..

Can you wear underpants? or is that area too sore for light elastic?

I don't know what else i need ...... To wear.. or things to do or to eat can you experienced lap banders who have been ther elet me know what you advise?

I did get vitamin E capsules and have been rubbing them on my entire stomach to help my skin prepare .. look i am so scared and advice for the nerves would be great because i feel like cancelling the operation but after 4 years on the waiting list i dont know.

I feel a failure that i have not lost weight without the op... and kept it off :(

The optifast 2 week preparation for the op i have lost 10 kilos!

Is the operation worth it? I used to think so but now that ts my turn i am so frightened.

Hubby says go for it, don't be scared and my parents who's approval i still seek for everything... is not really there so much they feel i can lose weight if i want to alone etc.

Guys sorry this is more than a list post i just kept typing... but please help with my shopping list.

Worm Butterfly :o

First of all, relax, this is going to be the best experience ever. It is the best thing I ever did for ME. And.........if something should happen, I would do it all again.

As far as clothing goes, I would take comfortable clothing. Do not pack much, pack lightly. You are not to lift heavy objects afer surgery.

2nd: Get a box or 2 of gas X strips and take with you. They are wonderful.

3rd: Take some tea bags and instant broth packages with you. It is cheaper to take your own rather than buy broth at the restaraunt.

4th: Don't forget ID and birth cert. or a passport if you have it. A passport is not necessary at this time, but if you already have one, go for it.

That about all I have to rec. You will do great, this will be a great adventure.

hi hon, i have no doubt that the op. will go smoothly. remember that your surgeon is well trained and has done countless procedures.

as for what to bring, PJs are a good start. bring some slippers or flip flops for when you are walking in the hospital hallway, a hoodie/robe/sweater in case it's cold, toilettries, ipod, book/magazine, change of clothes (loose fitting), sports bra & panties, pain meds (anti-gas, tylenol), prescription meds, and a mobile phone. if you've got a friend or family member accompanying you, you can always leave your valuables with them during the surgery.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

The surgery is absolutely worth it. You have waited four years for this and by golly you deserve for it to finally be your turn. You may think you have regret about having the surgery at the moment, but if you cancel it you will be very upset with yourself and feel even more like a failure (which, by the way, you are not). In fact, you will be giving out comforting advice to others within a few weeks of having your surgery as you will have relized by then that you fears were unwarrented.

I am going to make some assumptions here. 1. Since you live in Australia you are having the surgery there as you talked about having to be on the waiting list for four years and 2. you might spend one night in the hospital, but other than that you will be going home day of or day after the surgery.

Based on these assumptions, you probably do not need to take any kind of food items to the hospital with you because they should have everything you need. I wore pajama pants and a sweat shirt to the hospital and then wore the same things home the next day. While at the surgery center I had the "privelege" of wearing one of their gowns. I don't remember wearing undies while at the surgery center, as they would have been a pain to get up and down while hooked up to the iv's, but am pretty sure that I put them on for my 20 minute trip home from the surgery center. As long as they do not come much above your belly button you should be fine as your lowest incision is a couple of inches above your belly button. Take a toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, deodorant, contacts/glasses and gas-x. Other than that forget about vanity and leave the make-up, hairspray, etc. behind. You probably won't need anything more than a small duffle bag or overnight bag. Slip-on shoes are handy as well.

When you get home, you will need to have liquid stuff on hand, items such as the following should work. Broth (chicken or beef), jello, popsicles, crystal light, tea, juice (grape or apple). Once you get past the clear liquid phase and on to full liquids, milk and some kind of protein shake are crucial additions to help with getting in some protein. Cream soups and hot cereals are also wonderful and hot chocolate is a wonderful treat that taste like something you would have under normal conditions. Your doctor should provide you written information explaining what you can have and when you can have it.

Take a deep breath and start thinking about Wednesday as being the first day of your new life.

Worm Butterfly ~ I am so excited for you! You will NOT regret this decision...you are in for an adventure of your life! Woo Hoo!

What the girls have said about packing, is true. Pack as little as you can because you won't need anything at all really. Just wear the same clothes home thatyou are going to the hospital. Having the slip on shoes is much easier to handle when bending down. Wearing a sports bra was a god saver for me. Other than that, since you will go home the following morning, you have it made babe!

Keep us posted and we will see you on the other side!

677424qvx0shzfzt.gif

Don't be scared. You are going to do great, and the staff at OCC are wonderful and will take great care of you. There is lots of great advice here on what to take. I'll just reiterate on the importance of packing lightly, to minimize the need to carry anything heavy. Don't worry about the underwear issue, the incisions are quite above the bellybutton area. I found it helpful to have a soft half-tank/sports bra, flipflops, and easy-to-slip-on-and-off shoes for general walking about and going through security at the airport. When you leave the clinic, they will give you some pain meds, which you can also purchase at the pharmacy across the street from the hotel. You may not need that extra medication (most people don't seem to need more than the four pills they send you home with), but I would still recommend getting extra, particularly as you will have a long flight home afterwards.

I also recommend gatorade during the post-op clear-liquid phase.

Ditto to everything that was on the other ladies' lists. I tried to take as little as possible and still over packed! :)

Trust me, you will look back in a couple of weeks and laugh about how nervous you were. By the time I got there I was like alright....let's do this! Wish I could have done it months before but due to work I just couldn't take time off.

Let us know when you are done and how it went!

Thank you everyone your all so reassuring and i do need that reassurance, be it positive or honest negative happenings etc.

Is the scarring bad?

I did some shopping today and bought 2 huge large European pillows and cases my first ever lol! They are those huge fluffy...huge... ones :) so i can sit up when i get home in bed.

How long did it take you all to walk and do things? Also sorry for the rudeish question but how was going to the ladies room? Did you need assistance?

Thank you everyone your all so reassuring and i do need that reassurance, be it positive or honest negative happenings etc.

Is the scarring bad?

I did some shopping today and bought 2 huge large European pillows and cases my first ever lol! They are those huge fluffy...huge... ones :) so i can sit up when i get home in bed.

How long did it take you all to walk and do things? Also sorry for the rudeish question but how was going to the ladies room? Did you need assistance?

I started walking down the clinic's hallway 20 minutes after the recovery, to walk off the gas they give you during surgery.. I had no problens at all. At home, I just used a regular bed pillow propped against my tummy while sleeping when I laid on my side, which I did and again, no problem.

No issues going to the bathroom ever. I had my surgery in Oct 2008, and my scars are very soft and smoothe and the only one that is still pinkish is the larger incision, where the port is...but it is starting to fade away in time. I am very fair, so it would stand out more.

The only exertions I did was just walking really. There is no lifting more than 10 - 15 lbs for the first 3 months. No hard exercises until after 3 months and no carbonated drinks until after 6 months post op. Basically, you just need time to heal and rest up the first 3 months or so because after that, you are in for a ride of your life to get your weight loss journey on the road! Good Luck!

Where are you having your surgery done?

Is the scarring bad?

They get you up and walking right away at the clinic. Each person will have a different experience. It was very hard for me at first, but I took really itty bitty steps and just kept moving. It was easier the next day, and the next, and so on and so on. The pain did not prevent me from being able to go to the rest room on my own or showering or any of those things.

Scarring will depend on each person and skin type. I am dark, so my scars are pretty noticeable and darkened around them, but they have ever so slowly been getting better. I'm trying to focus more on the weight loss than on the scars right now. I apply vitamin E oil on them, which was recommended by my dr.

Also sorry for the rudeish question but how was going to the ladies room? Did you need assistance?

This is a very valid question. I am not sure about your surgery center, but at my surgery center they absolutely have the largest toilets I have ever seen, not only in depth and width, but also in height. I felt like a characther in "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids."

I am only 5'5" and I kid you not my feet just barely graze the floor. It was a little difficult to hold my gown and get on and off of that thing, but I was able to do it without help and I don't recall any pain during the process. Just remember to use your legs and not your abs. More than likely there will be a bar on the wall to help you as well as a call button if you need help.

If the pain meds are good enough while you are at the surgery center, you couldn't care less about who will see you and in what condition. I loved those pain meds which I lovingly refer to as my "happy pills".

You ladies are my saviors, hearing about your experiences helps a lot. Right now I have the worst anxiety i think that i have ever had. I appreciate the support and guidance and advice very much.

My surgery is being done in Melbourne, Australia as that is where I live.

I was not able to find the X-gas you mentioned but i found capsules with an oil type stuff in them maybe i could pop then and let the fluid dissolve on my tongue? I will ask the dr before the op.

I am in this strange nesting phase today, the house has to be perfect and super 'retentively' clean... whats that about :) I was told i will be wearing a hospital gown...no home nightie as i just phoned the hospital to be re-assured lol, didn't help much. I just hope they have super size ones as i don't want my soon to be fine behind hanging out!

I am daunted.. anxious, paranoid and every word like that right now... I dont even know if i want it done now! *waaa* I can hardly back out of it now but i don't know this is for me i dont want to develop ostop problems when i am older or diabetes or anything if i can help avoid, and i think this is the right thing but it still scares me. I am taking my teddy bear! *smiles*

Also i asked them to film it the surgery i mean.. they wont and they wont take photos so i am very disappointed about that.

sharon, how soon after the surgery did you start applying the Vitamin E oil?

I don't remember exactly, but maybe somewhere between 10 to 14 days after the surgery. It will depend on how much they've healed, how comfortable you feel touching them, etc. The bits of glue stayed on my incisions for a long time, so I just applied the vitamin E over the glue.

I don't remember exactly, but maybe somewhere between 10 to 14 days after the surgery. It will depend on how much they've healed, how comfortable you feel touching them, etc. The bits of glue stayed on my incisions for a long time, so I just applied the vitamin E over the glue.

thanks, i'll follow your lead!

I have been using Vitamin E cream on my belly twice daily in preperation to help get my skin in a very supple condition so hopefully it heals very well.

Vitamin E is better than all the expensive potions and things you can buy as they mostly use Vitamin E also, plus Ive always loved Vit E.

Gawd... 8 hours till my surgery now! :o

thanks, i'll follow your lead!

It's advisable to wait until the 'glue' is gone from your incision before applying any lotions, gels or creams. You don't want to infect the area. I think I actually waited close to 3 weeks and then I applied Maderma and Vitamin E, alternately. NOTE: Use a very small amount of the Maderma (gel form). It spreads out nicely and you only need a THIN, LIGHT application. It also works well for the old scars you may have.

It's advisable to wait until the 'glue' is gone from your incision before applying any lotions, gels or creams. You don't want to infect the area. I think I actually waited close to 3 weeks and then I applied Maderma and Vitamin E, alternately. NOTE: Use a very small amount of the Maderma (gel form). It spreads out nicely and you only need a THIN, LIGHT application. It also works well for the old scars you may have.

I will respectfully disagree. I was advised to begin applying Vitamin E as soon as possible. The glue on the incisions is very strong, it's not going to let stuff get through. My glue stayed on me for weeks. But the area around the glue can still benefit from the Vitamin E, particularly for dark-skinned people who are more likely to get darkened raised skin around the scars.

Having said all this, neither Vitamin E nor Mederma have been clinically proven effective on scars. Some studies even suggest that topical ointments can actually worsen the appearance of scars. Yet many doctors do recommend it, and many people swear that it helps. So in the end, it is a personal decision.