3rd fill scheduled for next week

Jennifer- your reply was appropriate (and entertaining), especially in defense of Mrs. Parris. And Mrs. Parris, you probably do need a small fill--that's the bottom line. And working out 3x a week is more than most people do and nothing to feel bad or guilty about. Neither is the double cheeseburger, in my opinion. Having one cheeseburger in four months, especially under the circumstances you were under is in a word: REALISTIC. You have done a fabulous job and I apologize that your post thread turned "ugly." I hope you have a wonderful week-end.

AngelaAnn,

Thank you so much for that! I am so proud of what I have accomplished so far and all of the healthy changes that I have made. I know I am not completely "there" yet, I am still a work in progress. I love Pilates and I am anxiously awaiting my 3 month post-op to be over so I can start back doing them. This band is hard to figure out! I am early in on the journey and even with all the research and reading Dr. Ortiz' book I still have questions. I just passed the teacher's lounge and its 4 boxes of gorgeously decorated Valentine's Day doughnuts, and I didn't take one. 6 months ago, I would have taken 2. Thanks again for your support and kind words. I hope you have a great Valentine's Day weekend also.

Kimberly

AngelaAnn,

Thank you so much for that! I am so proud of what I have accomplished so far and all of the healthy changes that I have made. I know I am not completely "there" yet, I am still a work in progress. I love Pilates and I am anxiously awaiting my 3 month post-op to be over so I can start back doing them. This band is hard to figure out! I am early in on the journey and even with all the research and reading Dr. Ortiz' book I still have questions. I just passed the teacher's lounge and its 4 boxes of gorgeously decorated Valentine's Day doughnuts, and I didn't take one. 6 months ago, I would have taken 2. Thanks again for your support and kind words. I hope you have a great Valentine's Day weekend also.

Kimberly

Kimberly ~ that is awesome to pass up the doughnuts! I am not a total craze for doughnuts, but I sure like to have a couple from time to time. Now I guess I should post my new recipe for weight loss friendly mini doughnuts!

WTG Kimberly...!

Kimberly ~ that is awesome to pass up the doughnuts! I am not a total craze for doughnuts, but I sure like to have a couple from time to time. Now I guess I should post my new recipe for weight loss friendly mini doughnuts!

WTG Kimberly...!

I went to a Bariatric Surgery/Nutrition meeting the other night and they passed out recipes for diet Red Velvet Cake, Apple Dumplings, and other treats. I actually do better if I try to not eat any kind of sweets at all. My main treat lately when I really want something sweet is to eat a Kellog's Double Choc. protein bar. I almost feel guilty because they taste sssssoooooo good! But, I know I could be eating something a lot worse.

I went to a Bariatric Surgery/Nutrition meeting the other night and they passed out recipes for diet Red Velvet Cake, Apple Dumplings, and other treats. I actually do better if I try to not eat any kind of sweets at all. My main treat lately when I really want something sweet is to eat a Kellog's Double Choc. protein bar. I almost feel guilty because they taste sssssoooooo good! But, I know I could be eating something a lot worse.

Omigoodness...Kimberly! You've got to post those recipes if you are willing to share? I grew up with the Red Velvet Cake (who didn't?) and would love the new healthier recipe for it. Also, I love apple dumplings...please, please, please? I don't want everyone to think I am the only person having wonderful recipes to share! LOL!!!

I would love to have those treat recipes as well! I have a huge sweet tooth that I still struggle with on a weekly basis. :)

I think it sounds like you could benefit from a small fill as well. Primarily because you said you are not staying satisfied (full) for very long and that it is taking more food to get to the full feeling in the first place.

Like Julie, I am rarely hungry. Even in the evenings.

But, I agree with whoever said you will have to give up some foods if you decide in favor of tighter restriction and then there is always the "chance" you will end up too tight and have to have fluid removed.

I do not like my band tight. Some people do and that works for them. I also do not want it too loose. If I was any good at using my "willpower" consistently, then I would not have needed a lap band in the first place. Really, it is your decision to make. You are doing great so far so you must be doing something right.

Good luck.

Dawn

I think it sounds like you could benefit from a small fill as well. Primarily because you said you are not staying satisfied (full) for very long and that it is taking more food to get to the full feeling in the first place.

Like Julie, I am rarely hungry. Even in the evenings.

But, I agree with whoever said you will have to give up some foods if you decide in favor of tighter restriction and then there is always the "chance" you will end up too tight and have to have fluid removed.

I do not like my band tight. Some people do and that works for them. I also do not want it too loose. If I was any good at using my "willpower" consistently, then I would not have needed a lap band in the first place. Really, it is your decision to make. You are doing great so far so you must be doing something right.

Good luck.

Dawn

I am completely ok with giving up some foods. When I signed on for this I knew there was a really good possibility that I wouldn't be able to eat bread (my favorite food) and other foods too. That's what lead me to make my original post. I just wanted others input as to whether or not my restriction was as good as it gets or could it be better. I have good willpower during the day. I always have. My willpower falters in the evening and that's when my band currently takes its break.

Thanks for the compliment. I need to post some new pictures, you would be amazed what a difference 12lbs. has made. I am beginning to get my waist back. I have made a lot of healthy changes and my entire family has benefited from them. My children have even lost a little weight. My husband is getting his band in April and he has already lost 40 lbs.

This band is confusing, but I am so happy I was able to get it. :rolleyes: I will figure it out one day.

I am completely ok with giving up some foods. When I signed on for this I knew there was a really good possibility that I wouldn't be able to eat bread (my favorite food) and other foods too. That's what lead me to make my original post. I just wanted others input as to whether or not my restriction was as good as it gets or could it be better. I have good willpower during the day. I always have. My willpower falters in the evening and that's when my band currently takes its break.

Thanks for the compliment. I need to post some new pictures, you would be amazed what a difference 12lbs. has made. I am beginning to get my waist back. I have made a lot of healthy changes and my entire family has benefited from them. My children have even lost a little weight. My husband is getting his band in April and he has already lost 40 lbs.

This band is confusing, but I am so happy I was able to get it. :rolleyes: I will figure it out one day.

I'm right there with ya woman! I've great will power during the day but night, LOOK OUT! I'd get the fill. I'm actually going the the OCC this week to have mine checked out. Seems that every time I get a fill, it works for a few weeks and then it's done.

Hey Kim--

I was reading this thread and I really feel for you, girl. You were puttin' yourself out there and on a couple of posts basically got the "be told". I applaud you for taking a pass on the Valentine's day donuts--good girl! And regarding your now infamous double cheeseberger, we all slip and make a food choice that in the light of day, after a good night's sleep and a sanity break, would probably see differently. One double cheeseberger in six months is something that I would view as a freakin' victory. If we could all be perfect with food 24/7 we wouldn't need the lap-band or this forum. Keep pressin' on!!

Diana

Great willpower on not taking the donuts! I"m not a big sweets person but donuts are my weakness for sure! I was on a plane coming home today and I fell asleep and when I woke up the flight attendant had left candy for me on the arm rest! Ahh! But I brought them home and gave them to my niece.

I'm not gonna lie - cheeseburgers are my weakness and I still eat them, but about 1/10 as much and of course I do no bun. This is a definite lifestyle change, but you can also have what you like within reason and within a certain quantity. I used to eat 2 cheeseburgers and 2 large fries and a large coke (God, can't believe I just typed that!) and now when I do get it is a double cheese (no bun) and a small fry and usually can't finish it. My guess is next fill on Monday I won't be able to do fries at all which will be a good thing.

You are doing a fantastic job - keep it up!

Hey Kim--

I was reading this thread and I really feel for you, girl. You were puttin' yourself out there and on a couple of posts basically got the "be told". I applaud you for taking a pass on the Valentine's day donuts--good girl! And regarding your now infamous double cheeseberger, we all slip and make a food choice that in the light of day, after a good night's sleep and a sanity break, would probably see differently. One double cheeseberger in six months is something that I would view as a freakin' victory. If we could all be perfect with food 24/7 we wouldn't need the lap-band or this forum. Keep pressin' on!!

Diana

Thanks for the support! This "cheeseburger" happened shortly after my 2nd fill. You know how most of us test our band to see if it will tolerate certain things. I am a middle school teacher, so grabbing a snack is sometimes imposssible, depending on my students. I am also hesitant to eat in front of them. That particular day, my husband had called me to tell me about the death, work was insane, my mind was simply on getting home, so we could get to Don's house. They had lots of great foods there and I was offered chicken strips, cocconut cake, etc. I declined, but on the way home, I had to have something to eat. I decided to try the cheeseburger to see if my band could still tolerate bread. I found out it most definitely could. Did I give that cheeseburger another thought, NO. The old me would have eaten 2 of them, an order of fries, and an apple pie. I am not making any excuses or apologies. I saw nothing wrong with eating the cheeseburger especially since it had been 4-5 months since I had eaten one.

I ate it slowly, chewed well, and it tasted amazing. I had been spot on with the rest of my diet earlier in the day. That one burger did not sabotage my diet endeavers. To be told that I was risking my health because I went so long without eating is ludicrous. Maybe my view points on this whole diet thing are off. I strive to be healthy, buy healthy foods, drink my water, watch calories, protein, fat, sodium, and fiber intake, and exercise when I feel I can. But, occassionally I intend to indulge in something not so healthy.

My daughter has a birthday tomorrow, my son's 16th birthday is next week. I fully intend to have a piece of their birthday cake (a small one.)

That's why I chose the lapband over gastric bypass.

I want the option of eating something "naughty" every now and then. Every pound lost is a small victory and to date I have had 55 of them, "slipping up occasionally."

Thanks again for your support.

Kimberly

I'm right there with ya woman! I've great will power during the day but night, LOOK OUT! I'd get the fill. I'm actually going the the OCC this week to have mine checked out. Seems that every time I get a fill, it works for a few weeks and then it's done.

Good luck on the fill. I am hoping to get a bit more restriction at night, even if it means being too tight in the day time. Mine is just so fickle. The one time it is predictable is at night when it is definitely too loose. I really think 0.2 cc will put me where I want to be.

Let me know how the fill goes!

Kimberly

Great willpower on not taking the donuts! I"m not a big sweets person but donuts are my weakness for sure! I was on a plane coming home today and I fell asleep and when I woke up the flight attendant had left candy for me on the arm rest! Ahh! But I brought them home and gave them to my niece.

I'm not gonna lie - cheeseburgers are my weakness and I still eat them, but about 1/10 as much and of course I do no bun. This is a definite lifestyle change, but you can also have what you like within reason and within a certain quantity. I used to eat 2 cheeseburgers and 2 large fries and a large coke (God, can't believe I just typed that!) and now when I do get it is a double cheese (no bun) and a small fry and usually can't finish it. My guess is next fill on Monday I won't be able to do fries at all which will be a good thing.

You are doing a fantastic job - keep it up!

I love cheeseburgers, fries, choccolate, etc. All the really bad things. My control has gotten so much better. I was a compulsive eater. I would eat because it was there and if I didn't eat it someone else would.

On Friday, not only did I have to face the donut temptation, choccolate candy was everywhere. The student council sponsored Valentine's Day Messages that came with treats. I had several students send me one. I would get the heart shaped message, then get to choose from the box which treat I wanted, like TWIX, M&M's, Reese's, etc. I would choose the candy, then send for the student that sent me the Candygram. After thanking them profusely and explaining that I couldn't do candy I would give the treat to them. I was happy because they thought enough about me to spend their $1.00 to send one to me, and they were happy to get the candy.

Then on Valentine's Day I got my wish. My scales moved down another pound! I am losing slowly like 1 pound per week, but the scales are going down not up. I have discovered through journaling, that I lose better if I stay around 1,000 calories. I really have to journal and make sure I get in my protein, fiber, etc. and stay around 1,000 calories. Never more than 1,200. But, it is so worth it. I have gone from a 22/24 to a 16.

Me and my family are leaving for Disney World on April 10th. My new goal is to be 185 lbs. for the trip.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

You are doing an awesome job also!

I love cheeseburgers, fries, choccolate, etc. All the really bad things. My control has gotten so much better. I was a compulsive eater. I would eat because it was there and if I didn't eat it someone else would.

On Friday, not only did I have to face the donut temptation, choccolate candy was everywhere. The student council sponsored Valentine's Day Messages that came with treats. I had several students send me one. I would get the heart shaped message, then get to choose from the box which treat I wanted, like TWIX, M&M's, Reese's, etc. I would choose the candy, then send for the student that sent me the Candygram. After thanking them profusely and explaining that I couldn't do candy I would give the treat to them. I was happy because they thought enough about me to spend their $1.00 to send one to me, and they were happy to get the candy.

Then on Valentine's Day I got my wish. My scales moved down another pound! I am losing slowly like 1 pound per week, but the scales are going down not up. I have discovered through journaling, that I lose better if I stay around 1,000 calories. I really have to journal and make sure I get in my protein, fiber, etc. and stay around 1,000 calories. Never more than 1,200. But, it is so worth it. I have gone from a 22/24 to a 16.

Me and my family are leaving for Disney World on April 10th. My new goal is to be 185 lbs. for the trip.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

You are doing an awesome job also!

Mrs. Parris,

Just wanted to say Job well done! You are doing great. I too am debating a third fill. I have put my self on Portion and Calorie control this past week and this week, just to make sure I am doing what I am suppose to do on my part. I have protien shake for Breakfast and a Lien Cusine for Lunch and Dinner with a 100 calorie snack pack each day. I am on day eight of this. I get up every morning at 6 and ride my bike for 25 miles, which is about 6 miles and then I do my weights. Sunday my hubby and I have made a decision to start walking the track for 2 miles everyother day. It does get frustrating when you DO pass on the Donuts and the sweet that you are around and fast foods that you pass EVERY day, when you ARE doing what you are suppose to do and the scales dont seem to move. The only thing that I need to do better is my liquid intake. I have never done well with this. I weight on Wednesdays and Mondays and it seems like since my first fill, I bounce up on Monday and down three on Wednesday, up on Monday down on Wednesday. This morning was the first Monday in over a month that I was actually down on Monday, so I am crossing my fingers I will be down on Wednsday.

Please let me know how your third fill goes if you decide to get it!

Good Luck to you and keep up the good work....

Carrie!

Mrs. Parris,

Just wanted to say Job well done! You are doing great. I too am debating a third fill. I have put my self on Portion and Calorie control this past week and this week, just to make sure I am doing what I am suppose to do on my part. I have protien shake for Breakfast and a Lien Cusine for Lunch and Dinner with a 100 calorie snack pack each day. I am on day eight of this. I get up every morning at 6 and ride my bike for 25 miles, which is about 6 miles and then I do my weights. Sunday my hubby and I have made a decision to start walking the track for 2 miles everyother day. It does get frustrating when you DO pass on the Donuts and the sweet that you are around and fast foods that you pass EVERY day, when you ARE doing what you are suppose to do and the scales dont seem to move. The only thing that I need to do better is my liquid intake. I have never done well with this. I weight on Wednesdays and Mondays and it seems like since my first fill, I bounce up on Monday and down three on Wednesday, up on Monday down on Wednesday. This morning was the first Monday in over a month that I was actually down on Monday, so I am crossing my fingers I will be down on Wednsday.

Please let me know how your third fill goes if you decide to get it!

Good Luck to you and keep up the good work....

Carrie!

You are doing a great job with the exercise. Drinking the water is tough for me too because I don't have the luxury of going to the restroom whenever I need to. I can't leave my students, so I have to hold it until I take them for their break. I still manage to get in at least 64oz. per day, but it is a chore. I have stepped up the exercise some this week, and I plan on getting up with my husband every day at 3:45 a.m. starting tomorrow to walk my treadmill and do Pilates. Tomorrow is my 3 month bandiversary, so it is time to turn up the heat! Wish me luck, 3:45 is really going to suck, but right now that's about the only time I can fit in 30-45 mins. of solid exercise time per day.

I keep flip flopping on the fill issue. It is nice to be able to eat certain foods that another fill will probably prevent, but I really want to get the rest of this weight off, so I guess I will go for the 3rd fill and only get a small amount. I am only just now really beginning to understand my band better.

Let me know how your 3rd fill goes.

Kimberly

I had a day this week where my restriction was not nearly as good as it had been, so I called my fill Dr. to schedule a fill for next week. The next day the restriction was back, but I am not sure if I am restricted enough.

Let me describe.

Breakfast- good restriction. I can normally get down a 2 egg omelette with no problem. I am hungry 2 hours later.

Lunch - good restriction. Normally have grilled chicken in a salad. Goes down fine.

I eat about 2-3 ozs. Hungry 2 hours later.

Dinner - restriction not so good. I can eat way too much. Feel urge to snack all evening long. I have to really fight it.

I am having no trouble getting down breads of any type as long as I take small bites and chew well. Can still eat an entire double cheeseburger from McDonald's without issues.

Hubby is scared of me being too tight, but I want to use this band to its full potential.

Experienced bandsters please give some input or advice.

A fill only costs me $100, but I have to lose a day of work, which means I have to get a substitute for my class.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Kimberly

Mrs. Parris,

As you know I too have been thinking about a third fill. I emailed Dr. Miranda and thought I would share her response. I have a 3rd fill scheduled for the 13th of March, HOWEVER I am going take the advice of Dr. Miranda and see how this goes.....

Dear Carrie:

Plautus are part of losing weight also. Tighter bands do not guarantee weight loss but only complications.

If you are at a pleatu it will pass (patience). But if you are eating only 1/3 of your typical meal you do not need a fill.

You may however eat a bigger breakfast and only a very very light dinner. nothing after 7:00pm. Drink green tea and have a tablet of chromium picolinate for 3 weeks.

Please keep me informed, I will email you a diet tomorrow morning.

Dr. Miranda

Mrs. Parris,

As you know I too have been thinking about a third fill. I emailed Dr. Miranda and thought I would share her response. I have a 3rd fill scheduled for the 13th of March, HOWEVER I am going take the advice of Dr. Miranda and see how this goes.....

Dear Carrie:

Plautus are part of losing weight also. Tighter bands do not guarantee weight loss but only complications.

If you are at a pleatu it will pass (patience). But if you are eating only 1/3 of your typical meal you do not need a fill.

You may however eat a bigger breakfast and only a very very light dinner. nothing after 7:00pm. Drink green tea and have a tablet of chromium picolinate for 3 weeks.

Please keep me informed, I will email you a diet tomorrow morning.

Dr. Miranda

Carrie,

That is good advice. I need to get some chromium picolinate and green tea.

Last night was my daughter's B'day. A dinner last night I ate a diet hotdog (lowfat frank & lite wheat bun) a large handfull of baked Doritos, a 2.5 x 2.5 inch piece of cake, and sugar free ice cream. I was really careful all day long with everything because I really wanted a piece of that cake. I don't normally do so many carbs either, but that's what she wanted for supper and I got the healthier versions. That is way more than 1/3 of what I would normally eat at one meal, so I think I am going ahead with the fill. I started my 3:45 a.m. workouts this morning and I am feeling very positive today. Good luck on what you decide about your fill.

Kimberly

Carrie,

That is good advice. I need to get some chromium picolinate and green tea.

Last night was my daughter's B'day. A dinner last night I ate a diet hotdog (lowfat frank & lite wheat bun) a large handfull of baked Doritos, a 2.5 x 2.5 inch piece of cake, and sugar free ice cream. I was really careful all day long with everything because I really wanted a piece of that cake. I don't normally do so many carbs either, but that's what she wanted for supper and I got the healthier versions. That is way more than 1/3 of what I would normally eat at one meal, so I think I am going ahead with the fill. I started my 3:45 a.m. workouts this morning and I am feeling very positive today. Good luck on what you decide about your fill.

Kimberly

Hi Mrs. Parris- I just came home from getting my third fill--I had 2.8cc's already, and I just got a small one of .2 for a total of 3.0cc's. Dr. So told me to stay on liquids today and he looked at my pouch, tube, port etc. and said everything looked fine! He also told me that this should be my "sweet spot" so, hopefully it will be. He also told me to wait at least 2 months before getting another fill. I'm fine with that since it's been 3.5 months since I got my last one. Good Luck and I hope everything goes well for you!

I think if you will re-read everything you will see that I have been doing at least my 50%. The only area I am lacking in is the exercise. As I stated, I can only get it in about 3 times per week (45 minutes each time), because I get home late due to working the afterschool program. I have a family and I have all the duties that go along with it, like helping with homework, laundry, dinner, dishes, etc. That program ends the end of this month and my 3 month post-op waiting period is almost over. As stated, I intend to begin Pilates and walking, alternating daily.

I don't make a habit of eating McDonald's cheeseburgers. A family friend's mother had died. When I got home from the afterschool program at 6:00 p.m. we immediately left to go to their house. We left their house at 9:00 p.m. I had been without food since 11:00 a.m that day. I was starving. Small town, limited options. I hadn't had one in 4-5 months and I just wanted to try and see if I could eat one. Diets are all about learning to eat in moderation and not to excess. It is ok to eat something like a cheeseburger occasionally.

10 years ago I lost 107 lbs. completely on will power and excessive exercise, so I know how to drop weight. Year by year I gained it back. I paid $8,000 + for my band to help me lose the weight this time around and to help me keep it off. So far I have lost 27 lbs. before my surgery and 27 lbs. after surgery for a total of 54 lbs. At my age, I feel like that is pretty good. I didn't even have my first fill until January 10th, so it has been mostly me not my band. Every bandster that posts writes about foods that they cannot eat. At this point, I haven't found anything that my band won't let me eat. Therefore, it leads me to believe that my band is not working at its full potential. <_<

Hi, Iam tseilhan I was band on Feb 9th 09. you asked same things I am worried about, I can eat anything to.My first fill will be March 24th.I think if you fill you need it go for it.