Can You Eat Salads??

MagnoliaGurl

Hey Everybody!! I am a week away from solids and I am just now beginning to crave some good food. :P What I am really wanting is a really good salad. I have read on different posts that some people have no problems eating lettuce while others cannot tolerate it at all. My question is, should I wait a while longer before I attempt the salad and give my band a while to get used to solids, or should I go ahead and try some and see how it goes??

Thanks for your input!!

Hey Everybody!! I am a week away from solids and I am just now beginning to crave some good food. :P What I am really wanting is a really good salad. I have read on different posts that some people have no problems eating lettuce while others cannot tolerate it at all. My question is, should I wait a while longer before I attempt the salad and give my band a while to get used to solids, or should I go ahead and try some and see how it goes??

Thanks for your input!!

I am 2 months post op with 1 fill. I can eat anything, all veggies, pasta, potatoes, chicken. I'm wondering if with my 2nd fill, I might find things different.

Cindy

Hi Gurl! Woo hoo! You are almost there babe! Hang in there!

I've had 2 fills and I can still eat salads too. LOVE them...in moderation, of course. If I make my salad my main meal, I would had some kind of protein meat with it, like a ceasar salad with chicken or shrimp. I add about an ounce of some kind of cheese too.

My motto, "Try it and see, if it's down, it's worry-free!" LOL!!

Help me out, but I thought we weren't supposed to eat salad as it was a slider food? I guess if it had some meat in it that would help. Is that correct b/c I haven't been eating it and have been sticking just to veggies.

Help me out, but I thought we weren't supposed to eat salad as it was a slider food? I guess if it had some meat in it that would help. Is that correct b/c I haven't been eating it and have been sticking just to veggies.

Sure you can eat salads! I do every week. I make a meal out of it sometimes and add hard boiled egg, cheese, raisins, pine nuts or other nuts, cut up meat (chicken, turkey, steak, tuna, shrimp, etc). I also make a "taco salad" type of thing too and add ground chicken or turkey with homemade salsa, olives, chilis, grated cheese.

Also, it's a GOOD thing for fiber AND the 'roto rooter' too! :rolleyes: LOL

Shelby,

I would suggest eating some protein first to get the protein layer above your band and then allow the salad to stack on top. It is the dressing that you really want to watch because it will go straight through your band. I enjoy a good salad every once in awhile.

Kristy

I agree with Kristy, It is a good idea to eat protein first so that the lettuce will not just slide through. As for me after my last 2 fills, I am unable to eat salad. Seems like the lettuce gets stringy and will get stuck. I love them, but I will do what every I have to do to get the weight off. I could eat them just fine in the beginning. Just remember, EVERYBODY is different.

Best of luck!

Awesome...thanks gals! I like salads too but I prefer them with some type of meat in them, so that is a good idea to eat the protein first to ensure it doesn't slide through. You all are great!