BMs

i'm day 6 post op and haven't had a BM yet. should i be concerned? i've got miralax and am tempted to take it, but i'm thinking i'll just end up with the runs because all i've got going in is liquid. the only reason i can think to take it is to alleviate some of the gas.

I found benefibre helped me with the constipation, and it dissolves completely just like it says it does. I dissolved it into Gatorade. However, yes, it will likely cause the runs. Liquid in, liquid out. That will probably last as long as you're on the liquid diet. I found cream of potato soup (without potato chunks) helped a bit with slowing down the stool.

I have had nothing but BM problems since I was banded 6 weeks ago. It's very irritating, considering I NEVER had problems like this before. I went 11 days without going while on liquids, then took Milk of Magnesia, and then had the runs. Now I am liquids again for 3 days, and I am afraid I might get the runs again, if I take anything. Although at this point atleast it would be something, I am so bloated..ugh!!

I got very constipated after surgery and PERSONALLY would rather have liquid stool than NO stool! But, that's just me. I would take the miralax - one dose- and see how you do.... happy pooping!

My suggestion to you is to drink a lot of apple juice and if you really need to take a CHILDREN's LAXATIVE. It is much more gentle. Please also note if you are sticking to the post-op you probably have not had any protein or starch just water and juice and broth....so you don't really have too much in there ;-) But I feel terrible when I don't go...and too me the gas pains seemed worse because I got backed up...so I started drinking apple juice and I took the mild kids laxative. Just be careful...it may be very liquidy because you haven't ate anything to bulk it up...sorry for the bluntness but we've all been there!