how much do they normally fill with

Hi there have been reading all the posts on lap band. am in the process of jumping through the hoops to get banded. In my area we only have one doc who does them and i have heard she is very slow to give you much of a fill like 1/2 cc first time....i don['t believe she doesit wiwth xray either. I know at our bariatic center they recommend gas by over banding as they haven't had as much success but do you think it could be because she's not libera with the fills

amy

Hard to say. 1/2 cc for a first fill is a bit light as most people I've heard of get at least one. When does she do the first fill? She may be doing a smaller amount if she is having patients get their first fill soon after surgery or she may be filling conservatively since she's not doing it under x-ray and doesn't want to risk it being too tight the first time around. Most people have to get a few fills anyway to find the right amount of restriction.

Most places are in the US that recommend the bypass are doing so because the lap-band is fairly new in the states. For me and my doctor that was NOT an option for a number of reasons but mostly because the band is adjustable and reversible whereas bypass is not. Most of the people posting here go to Dr Ortiz in Tijuana. He's been doing this for a number of years and has done thousands of lap-band surgeries, not to mention that he and his staff are pretty darn awesome both during surgery and for follow-ups. Of course we're always happy to hear from people who get banded elsewhere.

Hi there have been reading all the posts on lap band. am in the process of jumping through the hoops to get banded. In my area we only have one doc who does them and i have heard she is very slow to give you much of a fill like 1/2 cc first time....i don['t believe she doesit wiwth xray either. I know at our bariatic center they recommend gas by over banding as they haven't had as much success but do you think it could be because she's not libera with the fills

amy

If it takes you a while with lots of fills to reach your sweet spot, you will be frustrated. Just be prepared for that. Every persons situation with fills are different and it seems a lot of fill drs. are different too with the amount they think you should have. I think Dr.s are cautious in the beginning with fills, because there is no need to be overfilled. Your body and band will ultimatley determine the amount thats right for you. With the band.........the fill amount you have is key. Best of Luck.

Teri

yes, with 3ccs in my band i am keeping everything down okay. i can't eat in the early mornings and, like most others, sometimes some days are weird and some foods that i can eat one day i can't another day. i have good restriction though. it isn't too much at all and it feels perfect.

however, i found out that the doctor thought i had a 10cc band when he gave me another 1.5 (making 3ccs total). how could he not know? he had my surgical record but obviously didn't read it. he did both my first and second fill! he also said he hasn't heard of 4cc bands, that i was his first to have one this size. this is a doctor that works for a bariatric clinic in a hospital. that is all he does! i am looking for another local fill doc.

COULD SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS? -- i am concerned about something -- i have a friend that said her band is 100% full. heard of this? she has 4cc in her 4cc band and she is at a stand still with weight loss. BUT i have seen her eat! she ordered fried cheese sticks and then pizza. and she drinks the whole time. she eats WAY too much for having a full band. and she makes horrible food choices. i am assuming she has stretched her pouch or perhaps a reservoir has formed allowing her to store extra food, or maybe it washes down with her drink? what i am concerned with is this...i am scared of this happening to me since i am already at 3ccs and it only holds 4ccs. can anyone relate to this? anyone else have 3ccs in their 4cc band? or am i the only one with this much? i was just banded in november. PLEASE HELP EASE MY MIND! #-o

I would contact the OCC and ask one of the fill doctor's what they know about this subject. Maybe she has a leak in her band?? I don't see how you could eat so much food with a completly full band. That sounds strange.

Also, I am in Oklahoma and looking for a fill doctor. Who do you use in Texas and how much do they charge? I would be willing to drive to Texas if I have to. Otherwise, I will fly to TJ for the fill.

Thanks.

COULD SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS? -- i am concerned about something -- i have a friend that said her band is 100% full. heard of this? she has 4cc in her 4cc band and she is at a stand still with weight loss. BUT i have seen her eat! she ordered fried cheese sticks and then pizza. and she drinks the whole time. she eats WAY too much for having a full band. and she makes horrible food choices. i am assuming she has stretched her pouch or perhaps a reservoir has formed allowing her to store extra food, or maybe it washes down with her drink? what i am concerned with is this...i am scared of this happening to me since i am already at 3ccs and it only holds 4ccs. can anyone relate to this? anyone else have 3ccs in their 4cc band? or am i the only one with this much? i was just banded in november. PLEASE HELP EASE MY MIND! #-o

I have read a couple of reports of bands getting completely filled, but it is rare. Sometimes it may be from a need to re-place the band in a better position, or as you mention, from the stretching the pouch.

However, Kristi, I would not be too concerned about the 3 cc if I were you. With your size band, restriction seems to last much longer, and even 0.2 or 0.3 cc can make a huge difference to most bandsters, I have heard. It sounds like your fill doctor does lack experience. Hard to believe he was doing fills before learning the basics of the band.

If your fill level seems right, you may be able to go on indefinitely without another fill. Hope you are feeling well. I am sure you are looking great, as you were a babe even before getting the band. Also, is your cousin considering the band? I remember her saying she 'might' try to get one.

Best Wishes

you're a doll, greg! ><'

yes, my cousin heather would still love the band just doesn't have means of getting it yet. insurance doesn't cover and she doesn't qualify for signature loan [and no one to co-sign]. she plans on going to occ when she does get it though, and i plan on going with her as she did for me.

i am losing slowly. i've lost 18 pounds since november at a rate of 1 or 2 pounds per week. i am happy with that because it has been consistent and i have more energy than ever! now...if only i would get to the gym. that's the hard part!

i'll try not to worry about already having the 3ccs in my 4cc band since it seems to be doing the trick. thanks for your reassurance.

good to hear from you. good luck to you and everyone else!

yes, with 3ccs in my band i am keeping everything down okay. i can't eat in the early mornings and, like most others, sometimes some days are weird and some foods that i can eat one day i can't another day. i have good restriction though. it isn't too much at all and it feels perfect.

however, i found out that the doctor thought i had a 10cc band when he gave me another 1.5 (making 3ccs total). how could he not know? he had my surgical record but obviously didn't read it. he did both my first and second fill! he also said he hasn't heard of 4cc bands, that i was his first to have one this size. this is a doctor that works for a bariatric clinic in a hospital. that is all he does! i am looking for another local fill doc.

Kristi Ann

I know your feeling. Like you, I was banded in Nov (1), 06. I was filled to 3.4 on my 3rd fill. Then switched to a thicker salaine solution. (0.9% to 2.3%) I had the same about of saline in the band, just thicker. I had to have .4cc taken out. I couldnt even get water down (sipping the size of a peanut). Now I am at 3cc. I think I need a little more but I am still restricted. I thought it was something to be concerned about until that experience I had.

Your doing great!

Teri

• 3 weeks later...

I am traveling from Alaska to TJ for my first fill in a few weeks. I am confident that I am doing the right thing spending the money to go back to OCC and have my fill under flouro. My question is for those that go back to OCC for fills, Do you stay for a few days to see how the restriction is or do most find that its dialed in pretty good. When I got surgery the Doctors made it sound like you would only need a few fills to get to goal. Is that because they are assuming you will be back to their office to have the fills done under flouro?

Would love to hear your experience about your first fill. Hoping I'm spending my money wisely. :-?

I am traveling from Alaska to TJ for my first fill in a few weeks. I am confident that I am doing the right thing spending the money to go back to OCC and have my fill under flouro. My question is for those that go back to OCC for fills, Do you stay for a few days to see how the restriction is or do most find that its dialed in pretty good. When I got surgery the Doctors made it sound like you would only need a few fills to get to goal. Is that because they are assuming you will be back to their office to have the fills done under flouro?

Would love to hear your experience about your first fill. Hoping I'm spending my money wisely. :-?

Fill experiences are different for everyone, and also depends on what size band you have. However, for the first fill, OCC does not allow you to test restriction. At the time of your first fill, you are at a higher risk of slippage. For this reason, you also are required to be on liquids only for 3 days after your first fill. If you need a second fill, they do allow you to test your restriction. I stayed in San Diego for a couple days after fill number 2, and did return for more fill two days later.

However, the first fill is different. They will get you to a point of restriction, but that restriction can go away after a couple weeks. Plan on needing a second fill after 6 weeks. If you do not need it, consider yourself fortunate.

I just had my band put on last week. How much should I expect to pay in CA for fills and office visits???

Regarless of the cost make sure you go to a dr that uses the xray (floroscopy) as opposed to a cheaper one that does not. There is about 1oo bucks difference. I jave had it done both ways, my first 2 fills were done without xray. That kinda guessing, with the floriscopy you can actually see how much is or is not getting thru. It makes all the difference in the world. My first 2 fills without x ray were worthless. The one with x ray is right on. Also one of the non x ray fills the dr had a couple of misses at the port and scared the hell out of me, x ray the guide it right in and its smooth

I paid about 375 in houston with x ray compared tp the dr In ky that charged 250 without x ray