Green Smoothies

SamanthaW

I just made my first Green Smoothie today and I have to say that I absolutely loved it and had to come here and post my recipe! I am always looking for ways to add fresh healthy foods into my diet, especially vegetables. I was one of those kids who was raised on chicken nuggets and very rarely had to eat vegetables, so now as an adult I have a terrible taste for them and wish I liked them better. I now have a 1 1/2 year old daughter and it is my goal to make her a veggie lover like her daddy!

I have been doing a lot of research lately about clean eating and came across the concept of green smoothies. Basically it is your normal fruit and yogurt smoothie but with spinach or other vegetables mixed in as well. I bought a bag of fresh spinach the other day and decided to give it a "whirl" literally!

Recipe (add items to your blender in this order):

1 Liquid Yogurt (any flavor)

3 large handfuls of fresh green spinach (if you are like me you are thinking, EEEWWWW!! TRUST ME - hater of all things green, you CANNOT taste it!!)

2 TBSP ground flax seed (lots of fiber and omega-3!!!)

2 scoops vanilla protein powder

BLEND WELL until smooth- I have a Vita-Mix blender and it worked great

Then add your fruits (preferably fresh fruits and unsweetened frozen fruits)

I used:

1 cup frozen blueberries and raspberries

1 whole fresh banana

4 fresh strawberries

4 slices of frozen peach

BLEND AGAIN UNTIL SMOOTH

and there you have it, a very yummy, very healthy "green" colored smoothie that tastes nothing like spinach!!

I know we are not supposed to do blended foods on the post-op diet but this will be great for those mornings that I can't get solids down!!

Enjoy!

P.S. Go check out my new blog!! www.fabulesslyfrugalmom.blogspot.com