What is the average cost for Fill in the USA

I will be getting my lap band in June and I want to have a doctor near me to follow me and do the fills after my surgery. We live near Memphis and found it it is $1,000

I forgot to add to my last post that there is also a $90 fee for each fill along with the $1,000 start up fee. I want to find a good doctor who is close to home for my fills and also to monitor me in case there is an emergency. Mexico is just too far from Tennessee.

Thanks.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE

First visit (includes chart set up, counseling, measurements and fill): $175

Unfills for new patients previously filled by another doctor (new patient charge): $175

After hours unfills: $50

Additional fills within two weeks a full paid fill: $50

Subsequent fills: $150

Office Visit for Pre-Surgery Consult: $50

Fluoroscopy: $250

Travel Fills: $175

IV Solution: $100

I did post a thread on this, try doing a search.

but i found it outstandingly expensive, for a service they don't guarantee (and charge for unfills).

they also make you pay upfront, to 'hold' your appointment, which i found extremely shady.

I drive 5 hours to get my fill and I pay for a hotel room, but it's still less expensive for me than going back to the OCC. I think my doctor charged $195 for the first time, then $170 after that. I needed only 2 fills with her, I could have probably done just one if I had been willing to be more aggressive on the first fill with her. I did go back to the OCC for my first fill just to make sure everything is ok. You might want to explore options that are within a day's drive from your home, or maybe even close to family members so you could combine that with a visit. I think it is really worth it to have a very good fill doctor. If have someone who knows what they are doing, you should only have to go once a month or so for the first few times. Getting fills is an art, not a science, so it can be really hard to get to just the right restriction.

When we decided to invest in this surgery, we also made sure we had enough to cover 3 fills (with travel expenses). You have to think of it as part of the expense - because if you don't have the right restriction the band doesn't work. But... if you are too tight you run the risk of inflaming your pouch and then having to get a complete unfill and starting the process all over again. I am not a patient person, but I made myself be patient during the fill process because I thought it would be worth it in the long run. I am happy that I did that - and extremely happy with the results of the band now that it's been about 4 months since I got to my sweet spot. If only the band would remove chocolate cravings :rolleyes:.

Margie

Research is definitely key..it seems the cost's can vary from $500 - $1000. Here in NorCal the first visit would have cost me $700. It is actually less expensive, and for me, more peace of mind to go back to OCC. I have not had my first fill yet..I am going Friday, so I am excited to "see" how things are looking. I have heard if done correctly you should only need about three fills..that's the number I'm going for..and if it's the OCC then all the better. My only concern is if I need an unfill. My daughter had her first fill with OCC about a month ago and has been fine. Once she graduates college she wants to get her second fill. In the mean time I will keep exploring my emergency options. But some of the suggestions here have been great.

I bought into a "package deal" which was that I paid $1000 up front, which covered the first 4 fills. I had/have to pay a $50 radiology charge each time as well that is not included in the initial $1000 up front.

I choose a local bariatric team for serveral reasons.

1. I have a family that I would be leaving for each trip.

2. Cost of airfair and hotel or a long all day there and back trip.

3. Time away from work.

4. Local after care in case of emergency or need for an unfill.

So each fill for the 1st 4 fills cost me $300 a pop. Then the price drops and each fill is $125 + the $50 dollar radiology charge. So bottom line is now my fills or unfills cost $175 from here on out.

Before I had my surgery I called the local hospitals and found the pricing for each surgeon. I also found out if they took mexican banded patients. This helped me out so much. For me the initial cost of the package was more than the trips back and forth to the OCC. BUT after understanding that I could need an unfill and how your fill can be fine for months then turn on you. (say after a stuck episode or a high stress time in life, it seemed very comforting to know i would not have to get a last minute flight to go to the OCC.)

Now the cost is cheaper than any trip to the OCC and I am VERY BLESSED with the standard of care at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Most of the staff are WLS patients. Very cool.

I'm here in Northern Ca and the doctor that I opted for charges $425 for the first fill with Mexican lap band patients, and then $375 for the next visits. He does them in his office without flouroscopy. I found another group in SF, but they were charging about $1200 for the entire year of fills - to be paid upfront.

It is less expensive for me to hop on a plane and go to the OCC for the day, but with a family and a career, I just don't have the time to give up, plus I thought it was important to develop a relationship with a local doctor.

My fills are 150 per fill...I paid a chart set up...If I go in within 2 weeks the fill/unfill would be 50cc...

This will require some research on your part. There are tons of info on this site...You will have to search it...

Good luck!

Kim :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Good info. I am from Omaha and considering this surgery in Mexico, it is $17500 in Omaha but $6500 in Mexico. I am sooo nervous about having the surgery in Mexico. Can I ask what other kind of research you did to decide to have this surgery by Dr. Ortiz? I really need to do this and want to make sure I do ALL my research. Thanks

I bought into a "package deal" which was that I paid $1000 up front, which covered the first 4 fills. I had/have to pay a $50 radiology charge each time as well that is not included in the initial $1000 up front.

I choose a local bariatric team for serveral reasons.

1. I have a family that I would be leaving for each trip.

2. Cost of airfair and hotel or a long all day there and back trip.

3. Time away from work.

4. Local after care in case of emergency or need for an unfill.

So each fill for the 1st 4 fills cost me $300 a pop. Then the price drops and each fill is $125 + the $50 dollar radiology charge. So bottom line is now my fills or unfills cost $175 from here on out.

Before I had my surgery I called the local hospitals and found the pricing for each surgeon. I also found out if they took mexican banded patients. This helped me out so much. For me the initial cost of the package was more than the trips back and forth to the OCC. BUT after understanding that I could need an unfill and how your fill can be fine for months then turn on you. (say after a stuck episode or a high stress time in life, it seemed very comforting to know i would not have to get a last minute flight to go to the OCC.)

Now the cost is cheaper than any trip to the OCC and I am VERY BLESSED with the standard of care at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Most of the staff are WLS patients. Very cool.

Good info. I am from Omaha and considering this surgery in Mexico, it is $17500 in Omaha but $6500 in Mexico. I am sooo nervous about having the surgery in Mexico. Can I ask what other kind of research you did to decide to have this surgery by Dr. Ortiz? I really need to do this and want to make sure I do ALL my research. Thanks

When I looked into Dr. Ortiz and his staff, I began my searching the internet for information on him. I watched his You Tube videos, especially the one where he does the surgery on video. He made it look so easy breezy. I read his book and became a member on this forum. I asked question after question. I checked out his credentials with Alergan. I read and read on the internet the good, the bad the ugly. I wanted to know not only what the risk factors where, but how they affected the person and the body. They are out there, you can find the horror stories with personal faces. I did this so I could get the full scoop of my decision. Was the % of risk worth the possible results for me. I wanted to way the pros and cons fully and not just do it and feel like a victum later....ya know.

This is an excellent place to read read read. You can get an idea of what bandster life is like. I loved the OCC and staff. The moderators on this board do a good job and you can ask them qustions too. They have tons of knowledge and are willing to help anyone.

Another thing I did was secure after care BEFORE MY SURGERY! I read about how many banditos had difficulty findign after care. Us surgeons did not want to touch them. I called each bariatric surgeon in the surrounding area, well just to Lincoln. Found out how they did fills, and the cost. My desire and want was to find someone who did fills by floro. I am paying out of pocket so I wanted to ensure I was not going to damage my tool. Those were some of the important things I saught.

I would be happy to talk to you over the phone if you would like. Let me know and I will message you my phone number as we can not post it on the forum.... : )

I really spent time on my decision and I would encourage you to do the same. Educate yourself.

Good luck!

Angie

I would absolutely love to pick your brain. How do I get my # to you?

When I looked into Dr. Ortiz and his staff, I began my searching the internet for information on him. I watched his You Tube videos, especially the one where he does the surgery on video. He made it look so easy breezy. I read his book and became a member on this forum. I asked question after question. I checked out his credentials with Alergan. I read and read on the internet the good, the bad the ugly. I wanted to know not only what the risk factors where, but how they affected the person and the body. They are out there, you can find the horror stories with personal faces. I did this so I could get the full scoop of my decision. Was the % of risk worth the possible results for me. I wanted to way the pros and cons fully and not just do it and feel like a victum later....ya know.

This is an excellent place to read read read. You can get an idea of what bandster life is like. I loved the OCC and staff. The moderators on this board do a good job and you can ask them qustions too. They have tons of knowledge and are willing to help anyone.

Another thing I did was secure after care BEFORE MY SURGERY! I read about how many banditos had difficulty findign after care. Us surgeons did not want to touch them. I called each bariatric surgeon in the surrounding area, well just to Lincoln. Found out how they did fills, and the cost. My desire and want was to find someone who did fills by floro. I am paying out of pocket so I wanted to ensure I was not going to damage my tool. Those were some of the important things I saught.

I would be happy to talk to you over the phone if you would like. Let me know and I will message you my phone number as we can not post it on the forum.... : )

I really spent time on my decision and I would encourage you to do the same. Educate yourself.

Good luck!

Angie

Great questions to be asking while considering a life changing move. I researched for a year on behalf of my 21 year old daughter who, without telling me, had started moving ahead on her own. $1500 later (for "pre-op" tests) I got the bill. I am a healthcare clinician and can see a scam when it hits..so I told my daughter to stop and let's look into it together. Internet search, and books later (lot's out there including Dr. Ortiz). After in depth research we booked the OCC..I was highly impressed with the whole thing, so much so that I too am now banded. I can't say enough. I NEVER thought I would be able to live a "normal" life...but now I am..don't get me wrong, it's work and a journey, but so worth it. I am now scheduling my second fill for both my daughter and myself back at the OCC. I live in NorCal too and the cost is the same and the added piece of mind under floro is well worth it to me. In fact while looking for places with the fill center, they more or less told me no one in my area is using floro yet and I would be better served having it done under floro until the port can be easily found...that was fine for me...The OCC is where I started with the mind set to continue throughout life with them. I will find a MD in NorCal for emergency purposes once one starts using floro, which was estimated about another year...

Dr. Ortiz and his staff are 110% perfessional, wonderful, caring and honest...very important to me. His facility is top rate and spotless..I know the journey your are undertaking...do your research and good luck! We are all here for you.

Dr. Ortiz and the OCC were awesome. I could not have asked for a better experience. I found Dr. Ortiz's book very helpful - you can get it on Amazon. One of the local Dr's I talked to ($18,500 for lap band) recommended his book!

Research is definitely key..it seems the cost's can vary from $500 - $1000. Here in NorCal the first visit would have cost me $700. It is actually less expensive, and for me, more peace of mind to go back to OCC. I have not had my first fill yet..I am going Friday, so I am excited to "see" how things are looking. I have heard if done correctly you should only need about three fills..that's the number I'm going for..and if it's the OCC then all the better. My only concern is if I need an unfill. My daughter had her first fill with OCC about a month ago and has been fine. Once she graduates college she wants to get her second fill. In the mean time I will keep exploring my emergency options. But some of the suggestions here have been great.

How was your first fill at the OCC? I will be going at the end of June. Any problems?

I would absolutely love to pick your brain. How do I get my # to you?

Hey - I have no idea if you tried to call....I missed some calls of numbers I didn't recognize. If you did try and call, please give me another ring. If for any reason I don't pick up...leave me a message and I will return your call.

Hope you had a good weekend!

Angie